Search

Need help with solo day trip to Bath from London

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with solo day trip to Bath from London

Hi,
So I will be in London and would like to do day trip to Bath. I looked into London walks but there are no tours on that day. It seems that train is best way to go...correct?
Train from Paddington station to Bath spa? Once I get there will I know what to do and see?
If anyone has any tips or suggestions that would help please advise.
J
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 08:16 AM

Trains are the fastest and best way IMO for day trippers and once you get off at the Bath Spa station most everything of interest is within walking distance - bop first over to the nearby Tourist Information Centre (TIC) and pick up city maps and printed walking tours, etc.

There is absolutely no need to have a tour guide - just wander around what to me and many is Britain's most gorgeous looking city.

For trains check www.nationalrail.co.uk for various fares - cheaper fares may have restrictions like not leaving before 9:30 am and you may have to book your trains in stone on the cheapest ones - full fare can cost a ton - if doing any other day trips from London by train check the Days Out of London Railpass which lets you take any train anytime throughout much of England, including to Bath and back - also gives two airport train transfers on Heathrow Express, Gatwick Express, Stansted Express, etc.

For lots of info on British trains check these IMO superb sites: www.seat61.com (good info on discounted tickets); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 08:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Once I get there will I know what to do and see? <<

You will if you read a guidebook or check out the "Destinations" link at the top of this page (Though Fodors lumps Bath and the Cotswolds as if they were one and the same)

There are a lot of really good walking tours in Bath. This site lists many of them

http://visitbath.co.uk/things-to-do/...-walking-tours

These are especially good - and free http://visitbath.co.uk/travel-and-ma...-guides-p43001

The short list of what to see (like I said - look at a guidebook) would include the Roman Baths and Pump Room (a minimum of one hour), Bath Abbey, the Museum of Costume, The Royal Crescent/No. 1 and just the general cityscape including the Circus (not a 'circus'), Pulteney Bridge, shopping, etc. and Sally Lunn's.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll second janisj's recommendation for the free walking tours from the Mayor of Bath's honorary guides - I did one some years ago and it was fascinating.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM

I "third" the free walking tour mentioned above - did it last Nov. and would do it again if I ever find myself back in Bath.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 02:34 PM

I 4th the recommendation of free walking tours mentioned above - though I have not taken one in Bath just about every city's TIC offers so-called Blue Badge guided groups free - I took one in York and loved it - usually OAPs with a vast knowledge about their city.
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>There is absolutely no need to have a tour guide - just wander around what to me and many is Britain's most gorgeous looking city.<<

>>I 4th the recommendation of free walking tours mentioned above -<<

Old Sep 8th, 2014, 05:29 AM

Yes dear no need to have a tour but the tours if you want are great - if you have the time - I'd rather wander around on my own on a day trip rather than spending time on a tour - but for folks who like tours these types are great.

gottit janis? Two ways of looking at things!
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 05:34 AM

It must be love....
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 10:25 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...in-one-day.cfm
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 11:05 AM

JULIAJANE,

Dare I mention the much maligned "hop on hop off" bus route in Bath? Bath is quite hilly if I recall.

The bus had a second option which goes around the beautiful hills surrounding the city - with great views of the countryside, very lush.

You will love Bath....