Reload this Page >

Need help with Rome-Amalfi coast itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 01:07 AM
Rachel

Hello. My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy the first week in August (yes, we realize that this is last minute, but we just found out that this was the only week he could have off.) We will be arriving in Rome on Thursday night, and plan to stay in Rome through Monday night and then take a train (?) to Sorrento/Capri. I have been searching the threads on this site (they have lots of very useful information) but I am having trouble finding exact answers to my questions (not that the answers aren't there, just that I can't seem to find them again). So I apologize for asking for information that may already be out there. But, if anyone out there doesn't mind answering the following questions (again) I would find it most helpful.<BR><BR>1. How long does the train ride take and how much does it cost? Are the eurostar trains similar to the ones that go from London to Paris? The reason I ask is because we have taken the Eurostar to Paris and found it to be very pleasant. Also, when and where do we book the train tickets?<BR><BR>2. Is the train ride the best way to go? What about the views? Should we take the train to Naples and then rent a car and drive to Sorrento? We fly home to London out of Rome, so maybe it is better to see the view on the way back?<BR><BR>3. Is Sorrento the best place to stay? Or would we be better off staying in Capri? I am torn b/c I have read that Sorrento is a great base from which to explore Pompeii, Ravello, Capri, Amalfi, etc. However, I have also read that Capri is very charming especially at night and that it is better to stay there than just day-trip. As another note - I will be 12 weeks pregnant on this trip so while we want to see as much as we can, we definitely need to take it easy. <BR><BR>I have found lots of hotel recommendations for Rome and Sorrento/Capri - but if anyone has any to add, I would love to hear what you have to say. <BR><BR>Thank you so much for any comments - we are very excited about the trip!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Myer

Train from Rome to Sorrento. <BR>The Eurostar is very comfortable even 2nd class (about 30 Euros). It goes from Rome to Naples in about 2 hours. Your choices from Naples to Sorrento are Hydrofoil from Naples Marina, Circumvesouvianna (commuter train about 65 minutes and passes Pompeii) (2-3 Euros)or car driver (? cost).<BR>You can buy Rome-Naples tickets at the American Express office right beside the Spanish Steps. No advance purchase of commuter train. It runs every half hour. Not much view on the way.<BR><BR>Sorrento is an excellent base as it's easy to get to all locations from there. Sorrento is also a very nice town to wander around.<BR><BR>It's always nice to spend an evening in a town and walk around once the tourists have gone back to their base.<BR><BR>Why don't you stay in Sorrento and then move to Capri for the last night or so. Then Hydrofoil from Capri back to Naples?<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 03:41 AM
Steve James

Hello Rachel,<BR><BR>Just to add to Myer's post, - there's also a Rome-Sorrento coach service (twice daily in high season, I believe), so that's another option.<BR><BR>The service leaves from Tiburtina Station. <BR><BR>The EUROSTAR rail fare is currently<BR>2nd class ... EURO 22.20<BR>1st class ... EURO 32.50<BR><BR>Steve

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Rachel

Thanks Myer and Steve! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. It looks like the Eurostar train from Rome to Naples is a perfect choice - not too expensive and fairly quick. Now I just need to research the options from Naples to Sorrento. If that is the scenic part of the trip then we definitely want to rent a car or hire a driver. <BR><BR>Thanks again!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Carol

I've only ever done it by train, but I'd say only the last part is scenic really, from about Vico Equense on.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Pam

Returned from Amalfi coast June 20 came in from Naples stayed in Praiano most beautiful, took buses to Amalfi& Positano 20 min.ride,$1 Euro.Parking a car is difficult in these small towns. Took the ferry to Capri from Praiano.Capri is very touristy.We Loved Praiano and amalfi better!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 08:16 AM
mayta

Of the various towns on the Amalfi/Sorrento coast to choose as a base: Sorrento may be in the best position for other excursions, but Amalfi, Ravello and Positano are far more beautiful.<BR><BR>Sorrento is kind of a middle class resort town with straight streets. The beaches below the town itself are not very attractive or comfortable. On the plus side, Sorrento does have many good restaurants.<BR><BR>You can check out train schedules between Rome and Naples and vice versa at: www.trenitalia.com<BR><BR>Click on the English symbol and write in Rome and Naples as your departure and arrival destinations and the date.<BR><BR>In Italy the day always precedes the month. For example 06/07 is July 6, not June 7.<BR><BR>In the time box write 08 15 for 8:15 AM and 20 15 for 8:15 PM, for example. Remember, they use the 24-hour clock.<BR><BR>ES indicates a Eurostar train.<BR>IC indicates an Intercity train.<BR>Both these trains take just under 2 hours between Rome and Naples. <BR><BR>From Naples you can take a Circumvesuviana (local) train which is functional, but not very comfortable (no AC), to Sorrento. You could also arrange for a car and driver to meet you at the Naples station and take you to your destination on the Peninsula.<BR><BR>If you live in or near a major US city with an ENIT (National Italian Tourism Board) office, they should be able to help you with train and other tourist info.<BR><BR>VERY IMPORTANT: Since you will be travelling in early August, be sure to make seat reservations on the trains, at a small additional fee, when you buy your tickets. <BR><BR>The seat reservations are valid for a specific train leaving at a specific time and date. The train tickets themselves are undated. Before you board the train you must validate the tickets -- punch them through the yellow machine at the beginning of each platform at the station. The machine will add the date and time to the ticket.<BR><BR>I know seat reservations and tickets can be purchased in the US. <BR><BR>My cousin and her friends made all their trains and seat reservations 6 weeks in advance in the US. And lucky for them. They flew into Rome to depart for Venice by train the day after a national raiway strike. Everyone who had been unable to take the train the day before was jammed into their train, but they had their seat reservations in hand and were entitled to their reserved seats.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:24 AM
RS Levine

Have a great trip! My wife and I and another couple are also "doing" Italy in late July (Rome, Bolgheri, then southern Italy cruise). We found lots of drivers doing an internet search for tour companies - you may try either Naples or Sorrento. As we have done a day trip from Naples-Sorrento-Positano-Amalfi-Ravello before, I agree with other postings that you should go directly to Positano or Amalfi and make IT your base for day trips. And you will REALLY enjoy your trip if you have a driver take you from Sorrento to Positano/Amalfi. The coastal road is both very scenic and a very harrowing drive. Let someone who knows it drive so you can enjoy it.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Amy

Rachel:<BR><BR>I just did the Rome-Sorrento trip back in March. Having taken the Eurostar from London-Paris, I was disappointed with it on this trip. It was much dirtier, we didn't get nearly as good food and everyone was smoking, despite the no-smoking section we were in. That said, I found it the quickest way to do what we wanted to. The ride from Naples to Rome was nice, nice scenery, and approaching Rome was really interesting. The Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento wasn't the greatest, after coming off a high speed train especially, but it served its purpose. Once out of the Naples area, the views improve.<BR><BR>In terms of location, Sorrento is the best place to stay to get to-from Naples & Pompeii to the rest of the Amalfi Coast. I wish I'd stayed at least one night at Capri, but that would've been a bit of a hassle seeing the rest of the coast from there, when it was so easy to do from Sorrento.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time, you'll love it!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:00 AM
igori

I have heard that the service<BR>from Tiburtina Rome station goes<BR>directly to Positano. Has anyone taken<BR>that bus service?<BR><BR>Thanks