Need help with Prague hotels!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Prague at the end of November 2006 with my husband for our wedding anniversary and have been looking for a 4/5 star hotel somewhere close to the centre.

I would like somewhere quite modern, with restaurant/bar within the hotel. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
rex

See http://www.a-prague.com/hotels-5-stars or http://www.a-prague.com/hotels-4-star for starters.

Somewhat to my surprise, neither list contains http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Bohemia.html though it may not qualify as exactly "close to the cetre", per your definitions.

Of the properties listed on a-prague.com, there are <i>almost</i> as glowingly positive comments about http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Bohemia.html as there are for Le Palais.

I have never stayed, nor set foot in any of these places.

Lundborg Residence is a place that I have walked by, and I investigated it (but decided it was outside our budget), and it gets a lot of favorable comments here. It is in Mala Strana. A very good location, in my estimate, though others might recommend closer to Old Town than in Mala Strana. Personal preference.

Last of all, I think that there is much to be trusted on http://www.livingprague.com/hotel.htm

It's interesting to me that there is no consensus first candidate based on these three sources taken together, and the three properties I mentioned do NOT meet the criterion of &quot;restaurant/bar within the hotel&quot;.

Maybe try http://www.a-prague.com/hotel-alchymist-residence - - looks _very_ swank. In Mala Strana.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM

My husband I stayed at the 5-star Esplanade for a good price in November 2002. A pleasant part of each day was our late afternoon hour or two spent in the bar with good food and drinks. It is just a block or two from the museum at the top of Wenceslas. The website is
http://www.hotel-esplanade-prague.com/
Boots Newstrom
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:26 PM

No personal recommendations...Prague is on our list &quot;to see&quot;, but we've been to Budapest and Vienna,'
Last Thurs on the travel channel Samantha Brown showed Prague and the HOTEL ARIA, (where she stayed) and it was lovely. EAch floor is themed for a type of music, and the rooms named for those famous with that type of music. Apparently the hotel is serene, relaxing, quiet, very modern rooms etc. ,,,and a good restaurant.

You can google: Hotel Aria Prague...or I found one of the sites be very good,

www.pragueholiday.cz/aria.php

I see it is a 5 star.

I would love some feedback from anyone who has stayed there,, OR if you go and happen to stay there. November should be a GREAT time to travel to Prague,...we were in the other cities I mentioned above the first part of Nov. several years ago and it was very nice and CRISP, and coming from Texas we thought is was nice to be so cold!!!

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM

We're also headed to Prague (and Berlin)--over Thanksgiving and the following week.

The Bellagio in Prague looked good to us, so we're giving it a shot. we like the location and the look of the place.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM

hotel hoffmeister--could be very pricey but very fine rooms and food
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM

I'd just like to throw out a word of caution about choosing a hotel because it has a restaurant in the hotel. Don't hesitate to venture out for meals. Prague has many great restaurants. As mentioned previously, the Aria is a great hotel; I like Le Palais, but it's not in the most convenient of locations (requires taxis or subway rides).

The Iron Gate is excellent, and it's right in the middle of the Old Town (it also has a decent restaurant). I can also recommend the SAS Alcron in the New Town (has an excellent---albeit expensive---restaurant). If you are looking for something cheaper, the Hotel Roma (in Mala Strana) is a good choice in a convenient location near the Charles Bridge.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM

I just stayed at the Hotel Pariz in July, and just loved it. It is very central, next to the Powder Gate and Municipal House, and has a bar and restaurant which are nice. I'm not sure what you mean by modern -- do you mean a certain style of decor or just you want a hotel that has been refurbished and has nice modern bathrooms, etc.? The Pariz is Art Nouveau style, kind of, which I really like. I just loved this hotel, and the service was excellent.

http://www.hotel-pariz.cz/
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:57 AM
MaureenB

You might like this hotel, which is designed in a contemporary style and is quite nice. We had lunch on its rooftop cafe, which was lovely. It's about half-way up the hill to the Castle, so is relatively close to Charles Bridge.

From my trip report of 2004:
&quot;The Hotel Neruda is on the hill going up to Prague Castle. It has a nice cafe on its rooftop, for views of the city below. Its brochure calls it four-star, an historical building reconstructed. Lobby had a nice, contemporary feel, clean and well-done. Rack rate is 220 EUR in high season for a double. It's website is www.hotelneruda.cz&quot;

Good luck!

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:44 AM

You said quite modern = Hotel Josef. The breakfast was delicious with bar in the lobby (not sure about dinner) and very good restaurants around the corner.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:21 AM
rex

&lt;&lt; It's about half-way up the hill to the Castle, so is relatively close to Charles Bridge. &gt;&gt;

No offense, but to me, this means that it is NOT &quot;close to the centre&quot;, as the OP seems to be seeking...

It's &quot;halfway up the hill&quot; to one thing (Prague Castle), and &quot;halfway down the hill&quot; to another thing (Charles Bridge)...

... and therefore, not particularly near <i>anything</i> (touristic), in the immediate vicinity!

Other than maybe being right in the heart of Mala Strana (and that's a &quot;second choice&quot; in my view), I would not recommend anywhere on &quot;the other side of the Vltava&quot; as being a good central location.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM

I wouldn't call halfway up the hill very convenient or near the centre, either.

I was going to recommend Hotel Maximilian (same owners as Josef, I believe), as it was my favorite Prague hotel until they redecorated and became very modern, but that should suit you. I don't like that, but if you do, they are great. They have a good location. It's not a large hotel, though, so the lobby bar is small, although they have one. There is no restaurant (excellent breakfast in a breakfast room, though), but that is kind of irrelevant at that location as there is a restaurant right next door if you don't want to go far. It's one of my favorite restaurants in Prague, anyway. There are more restaurants within a block or so, but if you really want one close, there is one.

Pariz is much larger, and does have a really nice bar area and a nice restaurant, though.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Caroline....our favorite (and we've been traveling Central and Eastern Europe for decades) is The Three Ostriches (&quot;U Tri Pstrosu&quot located smack on the edges of the Charles Bridge.
15th Century Inn, large rooms..be sure to get one overlooking the bridge which will not be &quot;summer crowded&quot; in November. Internal restaurant is a good one, but as the Fodor Editor says above, Prague is teeming now with good places to dine....here's the web page...it is pure historic charm. Looks like the off-season rate for a bridge view room is 176E's..not much higher than it was three years ago. Enjoy!

Stu T.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:37 AM
MaureenB

It is always a challenge to find the 'perfect' hotel, especially in the center of things in a historic city like Prague. Oftentimes you can't find a place that meets every single one of your criteria precisely, so you have to pick and choose.

I recommend the Neruda because it is a four-star with a restaurant/bar; it is very nice and 'quite modern'-- three characteristics named by Caroline. Being close to the centre is a relative thing-- we didn't mind walking from there to the main square in Prague. It's a small city, so everything is relatively close in.

I would caution the OP against Wenceslas Square area, as we found it to be tacky, with all the teenage shops and fast-food joints. Just my opinion. Also, it's the only place in Prague we saw blatant pick-pocket thieves attempting to score.

For what it's worth, this hotel is close to the center, a five-star with a restaurant (as I recall), but is in the historic style (from my trip report of 2004):

&quot;The Grand Hotel Bohemia is a five-star, in Old Town next to the Powder Tower (also a good location), 78 rooms and suites. It's a classic, old, elegant-looking place that looked charming, too. (No rate sheet in their brochure.) Website: www.grandhotelbohemia.cz&quot;

Good luck in your continued search. Prague is lovely and you will probably enjoy every minute there.

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:04 PM

The Metamorphis is also a very nice 4*, with both indoor and outdoor dining and a bar. It is located in the square (Ungelt) just behind the Tyn church and you can hardly get more central than that. There are several other restaurants in the square as well as a great little coffee house and shops. You would be only about 150-200 feet from the main square yet you would not have the noise.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Hotel Josef and Ventana are good choices for modern, but central. I think they both have a nice ambience for an anniversary celebration, with Josef being a little more cutting edge. I would also check the 4 Seasons. In the Wenceslas Square area, you will find nice modern style hotels, also, with Radisson SAS being quite stylish.
In the Andel, Prague 4 area, you will find the most modern, but a little out of the way of the center (not as romantic). Check out the Neruda for a Mala Strana location. That area is lovely in the fall, because the winding streets are very romantic. You have to not mind climbing up the long hill to get there, though!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Sorry, Caroline...I forgot to include the web pages for The Three Ostriches Hotel..here it is:
Stu T.http://www.pragueholiday.cz/utripstrosu.php

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM

bookmarking...
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:50 PM

We just got back from Prague yesterday and stayed at the Aria. We highly recommend this lovely hotel. There is a rooftop restaurant and although we didn't eat there the view was beautiful. We were able to walk everywhere easily, especially up to the palace and St. Vitus Cathedral (a very impressive church.) Don't miss the Loreto when you are up there. I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel right by the Charles bridge. There are so many people there (because it is so beautiful looking in every direction). I also felt there were too many stores there selling Bohemia glass. After two days we wanted to avoid that area, especially where it leads to the Old Town Square. We liked the Jewish area, the Decorative Arts Museum and St.Agnes Convent. By the end of our trip I decided that a good area to stay would be where the Four Seasons Hotel is...in between the Charles Bridge and the Jewish area. It's right across the river (using the next bridge after the Charles Bridge) from an easy route up to the Palace and St. Vitus. We took a half day city tour at the beginning of our trip which I recommend...that was the only time we went to Wenceslas Square or New Town.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
pat

Isn`t the Hotel Aria the place Samantha Brown stayed in, on Passport to Europe? It did look nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -