need help with planning trip thru italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my husband and i are planning a trip to rome late may for 5 days and then plan to take train to naples and have hotel send private car (110 euros each way) to take us to sorrento for 3 days - private car back to naples and train first class, reserved seating to venice (3 days) - i have had polio and get around pretty well with a cane but can only roll luggage and am unable to carry it. we have been to europe several times but lately have only stayed in one city - so questions are:<BR>(1) is the naples train station as unsavory as i have read and how best to stay safe<BR>(2) coming from rome to naples, are there alot of stairs to navigate getting off the train and getting to where the car would pick us up<BR>(3) does the private car idea sound like a safe idea - is the cost quoted by the hotel reasonable?<BR>(4) i would like to buy train ticket and reserve seat from usa before i go - i was thinking of using cit rail to do this - does anyone have experience with them?<BR>(5) where do you put your luggage on the train to ensure it isnt stolen<BR>(6) we are staying at the imperial hotel tramontano - is the hotel as nice as it appears on the website? is it centrally located/<BR>(7) does anyone know the location of comfort hotel diana in venice - address is san marco-calle specchieri, venice - was wondering if they have their own dock or how to find them after we get into venice on the train<BR><BR>would really appreciate help with any of the above questions - hopefully, there is someone out there who has an answer to all! thanks
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:17 AM

Hello Susie,<BR><BR>Have you considered going Rome-Sorrento by bus?<BR>This is a comfortable option by modern coach and would be a BIG saving.<BR>(Cost is approx. EURO 16.00)<BR><BR>Otherwise ... there are no steps at Naples Station once you are off the train.<BR><BR>EURO 110.00 sounds expensive for Naples-Sorrento by limo.<BR>Try www.sorrento.it for a quote <BR>(- they quoted EURO 60.00 last year).<BR><BR>Don't buy rail tickets before you go. (You will pay a big commission).<BR>You can easily book them in Rome.<BR>(You could book all your rail tickets together at Fiumicino Airport station when you arrive ...)<BR><BR>Naples-Venice is a long train ride (6-7 hours).<BR>Have you thought of flying?<BR>It may even be cheaper.<BR>Alpi Eagles fly Naples-Venice.<BR>www.alpieagles.com<BR><BR>Just a few thoughts ...<BR><BR>Steve
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:22 AM

I don't have an answer to all of them but I can help with some. <BR>1. Naples train station. A bit unsavory but not really dangerous. Watch out for the many people (men dressed in blue clothing resembling uniforms but aren't) that will try to assit you with your luggage. They'll grab it and then demand payment. If they see your cane, you will be a target. Firmly tell them &quot;No thank you&quot;. If you do need help, there are official porters. Just be aware of your belongings at all times.<BR>2. No, there are not very many stairs. You should be able to manage.<BR>3. 110 Euro seems a bit high just to Sorrento. I've paid under 100 from the Naples airport to Positano, a longer distance. You could probably find a better price if you shop around. You could save that money and take the Circumvesuviana train from the train station (there will be stairs) to Sorrento, but then you'd have more stairs in Sorrento and still need to get to your hotel. But it will be cheaper.<BR>4. I don't have experience with that company but in general, it costs more to purchase your train tickets in the US than to simply buy them in Italy. Since you have five days in Rome at the beginning of the trip, you have time to get the tickets then.<BR>5. Keep your luggage near you to be safe. If you are in a compartment (most first class seats) you will have storage above your seats. Don't leave your luggage in the hallways or vestibules if at all possible.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:24 AM

Steve - can you post a website with info on the Rome to Sorrento bus? (And thanks for all your help.)
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:27 AM

1. Train stations in general are not the best of italy, both from the looks point of view and from the security point of view. Yet not even Naples stations is a place where there is one killed and several injured every day. I have been there several times and spent my hour or two waiting for the connection having the best time I could have in a train station, drank a coffee, bought a couple of books, sat on the platforms waiting for my train, ate a sadwich and all sort of similar things you do in train stations waiting for trains. Just make sure you know where your stuff is. Usually the best way to move in a crowded station is to split in two: one person stays with the luggage and keeps an eye on the bags and all, the other does what he has to do (buy tickets, newspapers, etc.) In every major Italian station there are waiting rooms. Usually those marked &quot;Eurostar&quot; are manned, so that you can relax in there.<BR>2. How does the word &quot;escalators&quot; sound to you? Stations with escalators (there is usually at least one working 24×7) also are provided with special carts that hold your stuff in place with a special bar and that can be used on escalators (they automatically lock onto the steps and get unlocked as the escalator evens out).<BR>4. You can buy tickets for the first train trip, if you want to be sure not to have problems, Make sure, though, to leave at least 3 hours between the due arrival time at the airport and the due departure of the train, so that you can compensate (even though this may mean waiting fo one hour or more at the station). All the other tickets are better bought in Italy, so as you arrive at the station in Rome, use your one hour wait to get the tickets for the trip back. you will have abosolutely no problem in ensuring seats buying them 3 days in advance.<BR>4. Since you will be gone only for a couple of days, you will probably be carring small bags or trolleys. you can place them on the rack right over your head or, in case they do not fit in, on ES trains htere is also some room between the two opposite seats. Tus you will be able to constantly see them.<BR><BR>Finally, if you haven't yet bought the tickets, have you thought about taking an airplane to Naples Capodichino instead of to Rome?<BR>
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:34 AM

Grinisa:<BR><BR>There are not officuial porters in Italian trains stations, there have been none for at least 15 years. On the other hand, disabled people who can't walk can be moved onto the trains with a special elevator. Since Susie51 says she can walk fine with the help of a cane I must add to my previous post the suggestion not to use any kind of train except Eurostars. THe Interciti trains sometimes have very high steps that are difficult to manage even for a person with no walking problem and that can get very uncomfortabe for elderly people and people with some (although limited) disability. Eurostars have lower steps.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:48 AM

Holly -<BR><BR>www.trioviaggi.com<BR>Click 'Marozzi'<BR><BR>www.penisola.it/it/Orari/Autoline/oraribusroma.htm<BR><BR>Service is from Roma TIBURTINA station to Sorrento (Piazza Tasso).<BR>Journey time approx. 4 hours.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

thks to all who are responding - what great advice! and yes, i will definitely check those websites, consider flying and look into a bus to naples as well. this fodor's website is super! susie
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:46 AM

While there are no stairs when arriving at Naples train station, many trains depart from the lower level (which is actually another train station). The last time I was there, the escalators were not working. The flight of stairs was quite long, mabye 50 stairs, and I found it difficult to drag me and my suitcase down the stairs.<BR><BR>Even the Eurostars have 2-3 stairs to climb up into the cars. Just give yourself enough time to account for this.<BR><BR>The bus out sounds like a good option. If you can afford it, flying between Naples and Venice may be a better choice timewise as well.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:06 AM

Pack what you will take in 1 (each person) standard black carry-ons. I made the mistake of thinking I should take more to Italy for 3 weeks and lugges a 24 incher around. It was almost impossible to navigate on the train with it..and doubly difficult to place it in the overhead. Be aware..there are gypsies working the trains who will offer to help you with your luggage..despite the temptation..do not let go off your luggage. Put it in an overhead compartment you can keep an eye on. If you take the vaporetto from the train station to your hotel in Venice you will be glad as well you travelled with relatively small suitcases. Just a note about reserved train seats..people from all over the world are booking them often before they leave their home countries. We booked and reserved specific first class seats on the train from Florence to Venice only to find folks from Australia with reserved seating for those very seats..luckily we found seats immediately. We booked through our travel agent at AAA. Regarding locating your hotel once in Venice..I suggest you ask the hotel which vaporetto line to take to reach them. Once you exit the train station the ticket booth for the vaporetto will be on your right. Take the vaporetto they suggest. They will also have information on which stop to get off at. Sorry, I don't know if they have a private dock.