Need help with packing!

Search

Need help with packing!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with packing!

Okay, I DO know how to pack for Europe. In fact, I've handed out a lot of advice to other people about how to do it. I once went to Spain for a month with one small suitcase and a carry-on.
What I need is for somebody to remind me to take my own advice, since I am a week away from my trip and I can't seem to get really tough on myself.
I think the problem is that I haven't traveled in awhile, due to my late husband's long illness, and I also haven't shopped for clothing in awhile either. So, I bought some new clothes for ridiculous summer sale prices, and now I want to take them all. I am going for 12 days, including 2 nights in London, then an overnight in Stratford, 5 more nights in London, and then 3 nights in Edinburgh. I KNOW I don't need a different outfit for every day, plus a bunch of evening outfits for the theater and dinner.
Another problem: I'm not sure of the weather. The weather channel is showing 72 degrees today in London and 68 in Edinburgh, and cooler at night, of course. I had just ruled out my loafers in favor of a pair of Clark's flat sandals and a pair of Dansko heeled sandals for evening, and I had already eliminated my rain jacket in favor of a dressier jacket to be used in the evening. Now I'm panicking that it might be cool for night walking tours and the Military Tattoo.
I think this is last-minute jitters, but I'm hoping somebody will talk sense to me. I have selected 4 pairs of slacks (2 cotton, 2 dressy), 4 skirts (each can be casual or dressy, depending on the top), the dressy jacket, 3 light cardigans matching various outfits, and, this is where it gets crazy--15 different tops, including 5 cotton tees, 3 sleeveless tops, 2 dressy tops, 2 crinkle cotton shirts, 2 black jersey tops, and a light long-sleeved sweater top.
All of this fits very easily into my 24-inch pullman suitcase, since the fabrics are quite light, but that doesn't mean I WANT to fit everything in. I know the suitcase is going to feel heavy each time I navigate through an airport, train, or subway. (I will be throwing away my nightgowns and underwear as I go, to open up room for a few souvenirs. But I don't really intend to buy much, since I've already been to Britain.)
Okay, I've admitted my craziness, so I'm hoping for help in the form of pep talks! Thanking you in advance....

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:50 PM

OK - that seems like waaaaay too many outfits. You are talking 8 bottoms (skirts and slacks) and FIFTEEN tops.

If most of your things coordinate (hopefully they do) then -- Even w/o doubling up some of the tops/cardigans -- you have a minimum of 100 outfits there. 120 if everything goes w/ everything but that probably isn't the case.

For that short a trip I would suggest 3 pair of slacks and at most 2 skirts, plus 6 or 7 tops that cordinate w/ most everything. When you add in cardies, scarves, jackets etc. you still have more than 35 distinct outfits.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:52 PM

OH - and of the above - I'd be wearing 1 pair of slacks, 1 top and 1 jacket on the flight so even less would be in my suitcase . . . . .
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:33 PM

This sounds so familar. One of the tricks I use is to organize everything I think I want to take several days or up to a week before departing,and then I eliminate a couple of items each day.

The three sleeveless tops seem way too much unless there is a heat wave and in that case you can always pop into Marks & Spencers and purchase any extras if they are absolutely necessary and you'll likey find that it's not.

If you take Janis' advice, which is much more specific than mine, you'll do fine .

Remember...less is more (or at least enough)
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Wow, when you put in the numbers, it all seems even crazier.
Actually, I was counting the outfit I was wearing on the plane, although those 3 pieces with sandals don't take down the overall numbers much, do they?
I'm going to eliminate a pair of slacks right away, as you suggested, and then I'm going to fight with myself over the skirts and tops for awhile.
I also realize I have way too many dressy outfits, considering my daughter will be the only one in London who will know I'm duplicating things for theater and dinner. I know I could take one dressy outfit and be okay, but I can't figure out what to toss.
But, Janis, you have been a big help to me just by giving me a reality check on the number of combinations I have.
PS: Yes, most things are mix and match. I DO know the rules. I'm just not following them very well tonight. I know I can conquer this--I did it for Spain, taking far less clothing for more than twice the days!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Maureen,
lol, i know how you feel. Here's a hint : drop 1 of your 2 black jersey tops, 1 of the 2 crinkle cotton shirts and all 3 of your sleeveless shirts. Thats 5 down, a couple more heart-wrenching eliminations and you are good to go.

Also, I'd take only 2 cardigans. So eliminate the cardigan that goes with the fewest outfits and eliminate your other tops/bottoms based on that.

Good luck!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:47 PM

OK - sit down, put your feet up, exhale, have a glass of wine and RELAX.

Re dressy outfits -- I always make do w/ a pair of black slacks (ONE PAIR) or a black skirt and 2 different tops, a lacy camisole, a jacket and a pashmina or scarf. Byt mixing/matching this one bottom w/ the tops I have 8 unique dress up outfits.

So it is really easy -- honest.

And don't leave the rain jacket home if you are going to the Tattoo -- if it rains that night you must have something to cover up w/ . . . . .
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

You people are terrific!
Okay, I've eliminated one pair of slacks, leaving me with 2 light cotton pairs and one black dressy pair. I'm taking the rain jacket for the Tattoo. I'm eliminating one, maybe both of the crinkle cotton shirts, and 2 out of the 3 sleeveless tops (just in case of a heat wave!), and one black jersey top. Now, I'm going to work on the cardigans and skirts, and go back to sorting through the tops tomorrow.
The idea of eliminating one or two things a day from now on makes sense. It's less painful that way, and once I put some things back in my closet, they'll be out of my sight.
I feel rather shallow worrying about clothes in the face of my husband's death in March, the bombings this month in London, and the state of the world in general. On the other hand, it might be a good sign for me emotionally that I even care about what I wear, because I haven't cared for so long.
I just need to get realistic, and you people are truly helping me. I've made great progress already!
The glass of wine sounds like a good idea....
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:00 PM

I think I can really relate to this, as I am packing for a 3-week trip in August after dealing with a long illness and death of family member myself and I think my usual packing instincts are just "off" because of all the stress I've been through in the past three months. My daughter pronounced me "crazy as a loon" this past weekend when I told her I was " practice packing" for our trip in August, but I knew I was going to do it wrong if I didn't make a few pre-trip attempts, even though after all these years I should be a pro at this.
Face it - you've got way too much.Fifteen tops needs to be pared down to about six. Four pants needs to be cut down to two or three.One casual skirt and one dressy one is all you need. One jacket.
Here's what I'm packing for a three-week trip that will involve some totally slumming it in the countryside in the Dordogne as well as visits to friends in Provence and three days in Lyon:

three pairs of capris: one denim, one blue cotton, one multicolored cotton

six tops, all cotton, half sleeveless, half short-sleeved

two skirts, both cotton, one white, one blue

One cotton sleeveless dress with blue and white rose print

one cotton jacket that matches skirts and capris

2 bathing suits

One pair of light blue Easy Spirit incredibly comfortable flats and one pair of Keds backless light blue sneakers (for gardening in the Dordogne and going to market).

All that said, I do have clothes at my house in the Dordogne that I can pull on for working in the garden and stuff like that, but that's not the sort of stuff a typical tourist would need anyway, so I discount it.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:15 PM

Maureen, it is not shallow worrying about clothes;it's human nature or feminine nature. You're doing just fine.

Have an absolutely fantastic trip!

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

I'm finally getting there--but it's late and I think I'll face this again tomorrow.
You people have all been so wonderful. I expected to be made fun of for being so ridiculous in the amount of clothing I laid out, but instead, everybody has given me specific suggestions, and it's working.
I think StCirq is so right--that our instincts can be off when we go through stressful situations. I have eliminated quite a few items already, and I hope to keep at it until I've got it right. Then I can really enjoy the trip itself.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 12:44 AM

Dear Maureen, I know exactly what you are going through, honest I do. I can't explain it but let me tell you this. When my DH and I would go to Italy for 2 months I would take one suitcase and one carryone.

After my DH died suddenly of a heart attack my world seemed to spin around me. Several months later I went to Italy thanks to friends in Italy that insisted that I do so. I packed two enourmous suitcases full of clothes! Why I don't know. What was I thinking of? But in reading your thread I knew exactly what you are going through.

Those two suitcases plus a carryon were terrible to lug around. I must have been out of my mind.

You have been given some very good advice here and I can't really add anything to it except to say after overpacking that one time that I have since then packed the way I use to and that is with the theory that if I have enough for one week I have enough for as many weeks as I will be travelling.

One can hand wash some things in the sink and let them drip dry. Or one can take clothes to the cleaners to be dry cleaned or laundered. Or one can buy something while on the trip if they absolutely need it.

Maybe the problem is after losing ones spouse the mental feeling is that one needs a lot of "stuff" to feel more secure?

You are obviously eliminating "stuff", unnecessary clothes. Continue to dear one. Travelling on ones own without having a spouse helping with luggage makes it more important then ever to only pack the basics so that you can personally handle your suitcase and carryon.

My very best wishes to you for a beautiful trip. I know it will do you a world of good.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, you have brought tears to my eyes with your insight. I do think my packing confusion has everything to do with the fact that this is the first trip I am taking in 32 years without my husband. I'm so relieved that other people are helping me see things more clearly. I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart.
I took some clothing out last night, and today, I plan to work on it again, maybe even downgrading to the smaller size suitcase I took to Spain (even though I bought a brand new mid-size suitcase for this trip. In red, no less). I have arthritis, and lifting can be painful, so I have that added incentive to get this packing right.
What I do know is that I will enjoy the trip more if I am better organized, if the suitcase is lighter, and if I have less choices of outfits to confuse me when I am getting dressed. I'll let you know if I attain my goal...
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If it's any comfort to you Maureen, I always fixate on packing and my wardrobe before a big trip. It's happened often enough I recognize the symptoms (I believe I focus on this rather than worry about trip logistics, getting generally nervous, etc.) and think it's OK.

That said... for a constructive tip to whittle things down I suggest looking for things that have duplicate function. You don't need 4 of any one type article IMO. I would leave behind 1-2 skirts, at least 1 cardigan, eliminate blouses that have the same general cut, color, or purpose.

Another tip that I have found helpful it to weigh your suitcase once it is fully packed (stand on your bathroom scale and pick it up, subtract your own weight). That has proved a good reality check for me.

Good luck! Safe travels!!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:05 AM
aggiemom

I can't really add to the great advice here, but I'm a true believer in Heaven and I can't help but imagine your DH looking down over you and maybe chuckling a bit (not that I think your post is silly in any way).

He'll be with you and keep you going with loving thoughts on this trip. My Mom went through the same thing when my Dad died.

Have a wonderful trip Maureen and blessings for you!

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Just an update to those of you who have been helping me with my packing problem. I haven't made huge progress, but I have done some pruning. I'm down to 3 slacks, 3 skirts, and 10 tops. That doesn't sound like a big difference--but it's already 1 less pair of slacks, 1 less skirt, and 5 less tops, which makes quite a little pile when you see them altogether. If I can eliminate four more tops, and one cardigan, I should be good to go. I'm already thinking of leaving out one of my dressy tops, and one of the tees (because it's white and will soil quicker than the colored ones). If I do that, I only need to get rid of two more and I'll be about where I should be. Even at the amount I have now, it still fits in my smaller suitcase, although a bit snugly. That would not be a problem, however, because I will be throwing away the underwear and nightgowns as I go--although anything I buy will take up that extra space in the end.
All of you have been fabulous in helping me get this far in this project, and in setting goals for my final packing. You will never know how much I appreciate the practical help, as well as the overall encouragement I've received as I prepare for this trip. The people on this forum are amazing, and I wish each and every one of you Happy Traveling.
PS: When I recover from my jet lag, I'll try to write a trip report and let you know how it all turned out...
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:12 PM

You are insane!
But you have given us a hearty laugh this mosquito filled humidity laden Minnesota evening.

thank you
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Maureen:

Because of this thread I went back over the contents of my suitcase this evening and pruned even more from it (though I then added one piece - a top I love that had been in the wash when I "packed" the first time).
I really think some simple tasks that we are all familiar with and good at become difficult when we are faced with long illnesses and death. I know in the past few months I've lost car keys, forgotten to show up for lunch with friends, missed paying a bill, stupid stuff that even I, the consummate multi-tasker, usually never do. It's as though the brain is so overloaded with tasks and emotions that things we truly know how to do in our sleep become arduous for the first time.
Don't sweat it. It sounds as though you've made great progress. If it turns out you overpack, just throw some things out. Sounds cavalier, but after the death of a loved one, throwing a few things away is no big deal.
The important thing is you (we) are GOING to Europe. Presumably, you (we) will find some healing strength in that, as well as just some of the simple pleasures of a vacation with no strings. I know I will.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I know I'm insane. I admitted to my craziness in my first posting! I'm glad it was good for a laugh, though.
As StCirq has reminded me (us) though, the important thing is that I am going back to Europe. Up till this week, that was what really mattered to me. If you had asked me two weeks ago about the packing, I would have told you it was the least of my concerns. I was excited about seeing the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford, and re-visiting the Tower and Westminster Abbey, doing a few London Walks tours, and fulfilling my dream of attending the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh. I think it was just last-minute jitters-- the reality that I am doing this--than made the packing such an issue. My DH would be laughing his head off. StCirq is so right--when you deal with life and death issues, a few items of clothing don't really mean anything. So, now I'm getting my priorities back where they should be and focusing on the wonders of travel. Thanks for bearing with me...in all of my craziness.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:16 PM

Hi Maureen,

You have been given some wonderful advice, and I will admit that tears did fill my eyes as you and LoveItaly remarked on your DH's passing. How can you possibly pack or even think straight after you have been through such an incredible loss. I am sorry.

I can only offer this little tidbit of small "packing" advice myself, as to not duplicate the good wise words you have already received:
"Remove anything from your suitcase that is uncomfortable or wrinkles easily!"

I think you are very brave.

"See" you when you check back in with us upon your return.

Your friend, Tiff

><

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -