Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help with night in Paris between plane and train

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to France from US. We fly to Paris and then take the train to Brussels and on to Brugge, Belgium for a few days before returning for our France trip. We plan to arrive one day and not take the train till the next day (to allow for travel delays in US because our airport often has weather issues causing delays). We nixed flying to Belgium and back from Paris because it would take us through Heathrow. Where can we stay (mid price hotel) that is convenient to the Paris airport and the train to Belgium for a night? Is this a good plan?
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:05 AM
ira

Hi L,

From whence are you departing than you can only get to Brussels via LHR?

Why is navigating LHR worse than going to Paris, spending a night and then taking the train to B?

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:07 AM

Waht are the arrival/departure times? You could stay in central Paris, have dinner,etc..

I had a flight this summer arriving from Istanbul at 10PM, leaving for home 11AM next day. I stayed at airport Sofitel, booked via internet. Great rate, and a very very nice hotel. Shuttle bus from CDG (5 min ride)
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Hi
Are you flying into CDG or Orly?
Does the train to Brussels leave from the Airport or do you leave from central Paris? This will help in recommending a convenient place to stay for the night.

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:47 AM

I think Lou said the only flights to Brussels from Paris are through LHR. Could be true--Brussels is so easy to get to by train from Paris, and so quick, not many people would fly. I also might just fly into Brussels rather than Paris to begin with. United flies nonstop to Brussels from the US from some cities, there are plenty of other possibilities.

The train to Brussels leaves from Gare du Nord in Paris. There are hotels right around Gare du NOrd that would be very convenient. For one night, that's a good idea and make it easy the next day. I'd forget about the airport in this plan, as there isn't any good place to stay in-between the airport and the train station, and no reason to do that. It will just make things inconvenient. I don't think you can go by train to Brussels from the airport.

It really depends on your budget as to where you should stay. YOu can get cheaper hotels around that station because it isn't an expensive quarter. I think one right across from the station, LIbertel Terminus Nord, is okay from what I've read and maybe the nicest around there. Depends on your definition of mid-price, that is a 4* hotel, I think, and maybe 250 euro. That's not my idea of midrange, but it is for a lot of people. You can do a lot cheaper, if you want. I just don't know hotels around that area too well myself to recommend anything.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is no place more convenient that Gare du Nord for the night in question. There are 50 hotels of every category directly across from the station. You might want to get an Ibis or a Timotel there in the mid price range. There is also the 100% non smoking Hotel Apollo if that detail is of importance to you.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. We fly United as it's the only airline at our end of our state. They will only give us a routing from our location to Brussels using Heathrow -- yes, even though they fly many other routes. We've settled on the night near the train station. We can sleep if we need to or venture out for a few sights if we are feeling energetic. It will take us well over 13 hours of flying and almost 24 hours traveling by that time so I'm sure a rest will feel good and it gives us the safety valve day in case our flights are delayed and connections aren't made.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM

when i was considering staying near gare de nord i found on www.gtahotels.com a 4 star for about 100 euros with tax and breakfast.

hope you are lucky.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:58 PM

FYI, American Airlines flies to Brussels; we're considering that instead of LHR en route to Lyon.