Need help with lodging: Lisbon, Sintra, Oporto, Lagos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Portugal this August and are so excited. These forums have been invaluable while researching our itenerary! Now we need to start booking places and I'm a little overwhelmed. We'll be driving, and while we don't have to stay at 5 stars, we are looking for relatively nice accomodations. I would love to work a Pousada in there but don't think that I've seen any nearby. Here's our agenda - any recommendations? Thank you all so much!!

Lisbon - 2 nights
Sintra - 1 night
Oporto (or nearby) - 2 nights
Lagos - 3 nights
Back to Lisbon for 1 night

We're going to work in Obidos and Evora en route to some of the other destinations, but don't plan on staying there.

So, any recommendations for higher-end and/or historic places to stay very welcome!!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:09 AM

I am a big fan of the Ritz Four Seasons in Lisbon (great, great spa) and the Penha Longa Resort outside Sintra (this is operated by Ritz-Carlton). Not sure if either is in your budgert, but worth a look. Go to fourseaasons.com and ritz-carlton.com

There are also some very interesting hotels in Portugal which belong to Leading Hotels of the World (lhw.com) and Small Luxury Hotels (slh.com) groups. I have always been happy with hotels from these groups.

Also, try the Karen Brown guides, which are popular on this site, she focuses on what she calls “romantic inns”, and has reccos for Portugal. Take a look at karenbrown.com, and in particular http://www.karenbrown.com/portugal/index.lasso?id=9

For Pousadas, try http://www.pousadas.pt

Note that August is THE high season in Europe, and you will pay the most and find the most crowds. It could also be very very hot. You might want to wait until September when crowds are much less, prices are lower and temps are better.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Those are new resources for me and I will check them out. I used to live in Europe, so I know what I'm getting myself into with August - however (& unfortunately), with our mutual work schedules, I think it's the only "safe" time we can get away for 10 nights.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:44 AM

When we went Sintra we stayed at Fortaleza do Guincho ( http://www.guinchotel.pt ) - its not in Sintra - but its a good location to explore the entire area - and its a beautiful hotel with a great view -
I am going to be in Oporto in April and staying at the Pestana Porto - mostly because of location.
Are you flying from Oporto to Lagos?
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Believe it or not, my insane boyfriend wants to drive. We plan to have a long day and go via Evora for lunch. I went to the Michelin site (recommended by someone else here) and it's about 4 hours to Evora, then another 3 hours to Lagos. (I hope this is true!) We're pretty hardy, so although it's a long day, knowing that a beautiful beach is waiting will make it tolerable
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Don't forget to remember your insane boyfriend that there is a 120 km/h speed limit in Portuguese Motorways.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Hee, lobo_mau. I don't think he knows what he's in for, although I tried to warn him, but it's easier just to let him do his thing. We'll get there sooner or later (and hopefully in one piece)!
Here's what I think I've decided for hotels, any comments?
Lisbon: Le Meridien Atlantic Park
Sintraenha Longa Ritz (thanks Cicerone!!)
Oporto: Hotel Infante de Sagres
Lagos:Vivenda Miranda
All are cancellable with no penalty, so if I've made any terrible mistakes, please tell me!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Darn, can't seem to edit my prev. post.

That would be the Penha Longa in Sintra!