Need help with itinerary...London/Canterbury/Portsmouth/Cotswolds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been watching the postings lately and it seems like everyone is so helpful. I would like to ask your advice and thoughts on our upcoming itinerary to England. I am going with my hubby and mother-in-law for 10 days.

The plan so far is to stay in London 3 nights. We will then rent a car and drive to Canterbury for 2 nights and also explore Dover at that time. Wondering about putting Leeds Castle in there...

Then we will be traveling to Portsmouth. My hubby and mother in law are both history buffs and would like the see the HMS Victory. What else would people suggest in that area? We are thinking of staying 2 nights there but wonder if one night would suffice.

Then head up to the Cotswolds for 2 nights. We plan on stopping in Bath on the way up. We plan to just explore the Cotswolds and take it easy there before we head back home.

Any comments or advice would be great as this is our first trip to England.

One final question...I have heard that once you see a castle, you have seen them all....how true is that and what castle would you recommend for us to see on the trip?

Thanks a bunch!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM

>Wondering about putting Leeds Castle in there...< YES!

From Dover to Portsmouth, two suggestions...

A stop in in the lovely town of Rye and between Eastbourne and Seaford, near East Dean, a hike along the magnificent "Seven Sisters".

>I have heard that once you see a castle, you have seen them all< NOT TRUE, especially for 'history buffs'!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hi rlower- You need to put spaces in your title... otherwise it makes all 50 replies go off to the side (see how it's doing now?).
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
and it makes nervous people get even more nervous.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM

You'll probably get mixed views on Leeds Castle. I.M.O. it's a wonderful exterior that they've managed to muck -up throughly on the inside; although, the grounds are lovely.

Portchester Castle (Portsmouth) is a much better choice as far as castles are concerned and certainly worth a visit.

I do think you have a rather busy schedule to say the least. You're covering a lot of ground in 10 days. Doable but hetic.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
(Sorry to be topping this since it really screws up the thread window - but here goes . . )

I would not recommend Leeds Castle. It does have lovely grounds - but inside it is basically "down market" as castles go and is primarily a conference/wedding venue.

There are soooooo many better properties in Kent and E. Sussex - Hever, Knole, Penshurs Place, Chartwell, Igtham Mote, Sissinghurst and a LOT of others would each be better than Leeds.

You say you'll "take it easy" in the Cotswolds. I can't see how - since you are driving up from Portsmouth and visiting Bath enroute. You will be lucky to have 1 full day in the Cotswolds - enough time to see a tiny bit but certainly not enoug to kick back and take it easy.

Your plan is doable but you will be doing a LOT of driving. From Canterbury to Portsmouth is a loooooooon slog.

All of the places you plan to visit are wonderful - but if it were me - I'd cut the Cotswolds and limit yourselves to London, Kent, the south coast and Bath. That way you can spend an extra night in the SE, and a night in Bath. I would normally never advise cutting out the Cotswolds - but since you will barely have a day there - that is what I'd do . . . .
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:54 PM
cw

For Portsmouth and the HMS Victory, you'll want at least half of a day (maybe longer) to look around.

Two other notable sites in the area that we visited were Fishbourne Roman Palace, and, in Southhampton on the harbor, Portchester Castle. We spend two nights in the area a few years ago. You can google those sites to find more information.

Sounds like a lovely trip.

CW
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 01:36 AM

As you are probably aware at Portsmouth's historic dockyard you can also see the Mary Rose and HMS Warrior http://www.flagship.org.uk/welcome.html

If it is a clear day and you have a head for heights you may want to go up the Spinnaker Tower (a short walk from the historic dockyard in Gunwharf Quays) for fabulous views of the harbour and around.