Need help with Italy Itinary

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Need help with Italy Itinary

Im Leaving Oct 9 and plan to fly into Rome. I will stay there about 4-5 days.
Initial itinary was: Rome 10-15 OCT
Florence:15-18 OCT
Venice: 18-23OCt
After doing research I realized that this may be a bit much, as I like to really take my time and tour as well as immerse myself into a culture. I am thinking of revising and flying into Rome and work my way north and fly out of venice. I would like to exchange Florence for a smaller, more intimate area that is accessible by public transportation, as I do plan to rent a car.
Any suggestions?
I am skipping florence because I will return next year with a group of friends and then go to Florence.
I Like wine tastings and good food.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:07 PM

I would look into Perugia or Bologna. Neither are "smaller, more intimate" but both offer good public trans options as well as enough to see without leaving.

It's unclear whether you've already booked your flights and hotels in Rome and Venice, but many U.S. travelers find it easier to fly into Venice and out of Rome, rather than the other way around.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:10 PM

Hello cheryl, you might want to check out Bologna which is between Florence and Venice. Wine and good food sure can be found in Bologna. I am not sure what you mean by "I would like to exchage Florence for a smaller, more intimate area that is acessible by public transportation, as I do plan to rent a car.". But I assume you mean you want to rent and drive from Rome to your next stop and while there have good public transportation. Anyway, if you stay in Bologna which can be reached by train from Rome you can visit other areas in the region by train. And you can than reach Venice by train. So just one thought for your Italian itinerary.
Or do you wish to have a rental car so that you can stay somewhere in the countryside of Tuscany after leaving Rome and before arriving in Venice?

Also, it doesn't sound like you have booked your airfare yet and if not you might think about flying into Venice and home from Rome. I say that because usually flights departing Venice leave very early in the morning while flights departing from Rome are more relaxing to take. Best regards and have fun planning your Italy trip!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:20 PM

LoveItaly and I share the same brain apparently.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:37 AM
ira

Hi C,

Have you considered Siena, San Gimignano, Greve in Chianti, Perugia, Assisi, Bologna?

We open in Venice,
We next play Verona,
Then on to Cremona.
Lotsa laughs in Cremona.
Our next jump is Parma,
That stingy, dingy menace,
Then Mantua, then Padua,
Then we open again, where?

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:50 AM

>

I don't understand this, either. Do you, or don't you, plan to rent a car?
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the typo. I DO NOT plan to rent a car. Also, I plan to book flights this week. [I know that it is pushing it to book this late, but that's how my life is ] As fa as Florence is concerned, I am looking for a smaller more intimate area in that region as oppossed to a large city. I will go again next year and I do not want to over do this year.
One thing I will definitely do is fly into Venice and out of Rome.
Thank guys. Any more insights would be greatly appreciated
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM

Hi Jean, we are sure on the same page!

Cheryl, flying into Venice and departing from Rome is a good idea in my opinion and obviously Jean's too.

Have fun finalizing your trip and good wishes for a beautiful time in Italy!
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM

Although Bologna is not a small city, it is much more accessible to a new traveler than a place like Rome. and the food is classic Italian and delicious. Florence is also small but sadly overrun with tourists (it's being loved to death, frankly -- for good reason). Bologna is very centrally located on the E-W and N-S railroad connections. You can go to Ravenna, Padua, Parma (for cheese and ham), Modena (for balsamic vinegar), etc. If you are staying 3+ days, consider renting an apartment so you can go food shopping and get some of that local flavor.