Need help with Apartment Locations in Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found two possible apartment to let in Edinburgh for our 2 night stay. Can anyone help me with the pros and cons of the two locations?

#1 - James Square Apartments
Location is described as: This beautiful fourth floor apartment is set in a unique luxurious development, which includes a private swimming pool, and is located to the west of Edinburgh city centre and only 10 minutes walk from Princes Street.
In looking at the map, I would say it is just off Dairy Road, off the Caledonian Crescent.

#2 - Allanfield Apartmnet
Location is described as: Located in a quiet residential estate off, and near to, the top of Leith Walk.
In looking at the map, I would say it is near the intersection of Brunswick and Allanfield.

We will be doing the usual touristy things. Coming in by train. Leaving by rental car. Have to consider that my elderly, although quite mobile, father is traveling with us.
Thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM

Sorry - don't know the area but do have a question - Does the 4th floor apartment (really 5th floor if you're from the US) have an elevator?
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 04:49 PM

nytraveler's question is a good one

I stayed last summer at the Glenora GH, just around the corner from Haymarket station, so closer than James Square to Princes St. I walked up Shandwick Pl more than 10 minutes and was still not at Princes St; locals must walk a lot faster than I do ;-) (I'm late 40s).

I know that where Brunswick meets Easter Rd you can find St Margaret's Episcopal Church ... oh, helpful info, perhaps .. you can find a couple of food markets on Easter Rd. I remember a Scottish Midland Co-op and another market, as well. Also, I think I passed a pharmacy. Sources could be closer to the apartment, but you will find shopping on Easter Rd, that I can share.

I hope you get more locals' insights. Cheers.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Yes - it does have an elevator/lift. I had checked that, but good reminder - thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:34 AM

"intersection of Brunswick and Allanfield."

It's actually the intersection of Brunswick ROAD and Allanfield - please use the full names of places in the UK otherwise you could end up with a very expensive detour

as for which has the best location - definitely the Allanfield Apartment