Need help with Amalfi coast trip.

Feb 7th, 2000, 08:43 PM
Jim

Need help with Amalfi coast trip.

I'm planning to take a week to ten day trip to Naples and the Amalfi Coast in early April.I have a few questions,first one: Is the weather nice at that time of year? My main reason to go is to splurge and take my partner to Positano for his 70th birthday.
I've always dreamed of staying at Le Sirenuse. Do I need to book it immediately or is it OK to book last minute? I also would appreciate if someone could help me with suggestions for an itinerary. Should I fly to Rome and drive south? Should I fly into Naples? If I drive to the southernmost part of the Amalfi cost,can I take a train back and get rid of the car? I've never been south of Rome,how long should I stay in Naples,Sorrento etc,etc? I'm not Bill Gates so I cant afford to stay in every city at places like Le Sirenuse, so if you could suggest some "boutique" type reasonably priced hotels that would be great as well.
I know I ask a lot but I'm sure that there are many of you out there that have done the trip several times since it's so beautiful.
Thanks for your help.

Feb 7th, 2000, 09:45 PM
lisa

Hi Jim, The only places that I have been south of Rome are Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. We stayed in Sorrento which is beautiful and took a day trip to Pompeii. Then we went over to Capri and ended up staying two nights because we loved it. We only had a train switch in Naples for a couple of hours so I can't tell you much except the area around the train station is pretty seedy. Good Luck

Feb 8th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Dona

Jim,

I did that trip a few years ago. I was there longer so I went to a few other places - but this is what I would do if I had 10 days...

Fly into Naples. Stay in Naples for 2 nights (1 is to cover the jet lag of the 1st day, and the 2nd to explore the wonderful city). I stayed at the Hotel Miramare - a small hotel right on the bay of Naples - lovely...

Boat to Capri - stay 2 nights ( I stayed at Scalinatella - which is not inexpensive but is probably one of the most beautiful I have been to). There are so many hotels there, you can choose any one of them and still be ok. You would want to stay overnight - at least one night since Capri changes totally after the last tour boat leaves.
Boat to Positano - and I would book Le Sireneuse asap since you don't want to be shut out if that is your dream. I stayed there and loved it... Somehow, I had a car "delivered" to me at the hotel (a travel agent took care of it but the hotel may be able to help with that) - and we drove the coast. Be sure to see Pompeii - it's incredibly unique.

Good luck with your planning and let me know if I can be of assistance...

Dona

Feb 29th, 2000, 12:55 PM
Elsa

Hi,

In re. to Jim's post:

1) Can anyone tell us about the weather in mid-Apr.?

2) I don't think there is a train that you can take along the Amalfi coast, but maybe someone knows for sure if this is the case.

3) Does anyone know anything about a boat from Naples to Positano?

Thanks,
Elsa

Feb 29th, 2000, 04:16 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Elsa
1. April weather, Naples/Campania
Aver. Hi of 66 deg f.
Aver. low of 54 deg f.
7 hrs average sunshine per day
2.3" average rainfall.

2. A railroad runs from Naples to
Sorrento, but not on the Amalfi Side.