Reload this Page >

Best type luggage to travel with????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 06:42 PM
Denise

Hi, <BR> <BR>Going to Italy in April and will be taking the trains to/from Rome,Florence, Umbria. I know from last time it is cumbersome to drag along large suitcases on the trains. What do you find is the best type of luggage that will fit enough clothing, etc for 12 days(I can do a wash at a local laundromat, if need be). I tend to overpack myself and have to take the suggestions on this forum about putting half the stuff back in my drawers.My husband wants to get a backpack type because he remembers all too well trying to get off a train through the crowds getting on. He literally threw a suitcase out the train door for me to catch.There's 3 of us traveling. Appreciate any suggestions. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Denise

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 04:31 AM
Ed

You'll find some help on packing at www.twenj.com/packing.htm At the end you'll find link to The Compleat Traveler which is exhaustive on the subject and includes luggage recommendations. <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria.Trip Tips <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 04:56 AM
MarkJ

You might want to look at Eaglecreek's line(s) of luggage. They have two lines the Switchback and Lattitude (though the Lattitude line also has a Switchback "subline"). These are all soft bags with wheels. The interesting thing about any of the Switchback type is they can convert into a backpack. The down side is that they are not cheap but are well made and have a lifetime warrenty. I don't plan on buying anouther bag for many many years. <BR> <BR>No, I'm not affiliated wEaglecreek, I just went through the "what bag to purchase" delima myself and did a great deal of research. I finally purchased the Eaglecreek Lattitude 22' Expandable (this bag does not convert to a backback - not an option I need - and has a few more cubic inches of space than the 22'Switchback Expandable). I plan to use two of their "packit folders" which should allow me to carry about 7 - 10 days worth of clothing and say goodby to baggage claim! For info try www.letravelstore.com, www.eaglecreek.com (though I'm not sure if Eaglecreek has updated their web site winfo on the Lattitude line). <BR> <BR>Hope this helps and good luck. <BR> <BR>MarkJ

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 05:16 AM
dan woodlief

We generally find that taking one rolling carryon piece each, together with a backpack, works very well. Easy to fit all this into train station lockers too if you find a need to do so.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 10:02 AM
lisa

I also got one of the Eagle Creek carryons that converts from a rolling bag to a backpack, but I got the kind with a detachable daypack that zips on & off. It was around $250 at REI but you can get it on their website as well. It works great and I recommend it. <BR> <BR>In terms of packing, just remember that you need to bring the same number of things for 12 days that you do for a long weekend of 3-4 days. You wear certain things over and over. Socks, undies, etc. can be washed out in the sink and hung to dry overnight. Also, you save a lot of space if you only pack one pair of shoes (wear one pair, pack the other -- wear the bulkier ones on the plane to save space in the luggage). There are lots of old threads on luggage and packing if you do a search using those words.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 01:35 PM
Denise

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I purchased, so far, a 22 inch rolling suitcase. I keep looking at at it and wondering if I can fit in everything, but I like the iea of having it as a carryon. This will force me not to bring that "extra" shirt, etc. that I never end up wearing. I think I will purchase one of those bags that attach to the handle for toiletries, etc. My husband is still "investigating" what he wants to use. He will have fun checking out the sites you gave me. <BR>Thanks, <BR>Denise

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 03:19 PM
Sue

LeTravelStore has a bunch of Eagle Creek items, in discontinued colors, on sale on Ebay! go to www.ebay.com, then search "Eagle Creek". Prices are good.

Old Feb 24th, 2000, 06:24 AM
Carol

Denise, <BR> <BR>Re the 22 inch carryon--just make sure the airline will accept it. I know several folks who had trouble with Alitalia and had to check their carryons.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Debbie

Denise-Please reconsider that 22 inch rollabag! I work for a major airline and a 22 inch DOES NOT fit under the seat.Most of the major airlines to Europe fly airbuses,777's,767's and 757's and there is very limited room in the overhead bins. I would strongly suggest a rolling duffle bag to check with a small carryon tote with essentials. Our family of four has spent years of traveling to various parts of the world and we decided last year before our trip to Italy to buy the duffle bags.(I would like to say that I still overpack after all these years and have a husband that still gives the lecture about too much stuff!).I went to Target and bought 4 different colored rolling duffle bags(around $49.00 apiece with some outside pockets and small locks) and it changed our lives for traveling.We went on the train between Florence and Venice/airports,etc. and it was a breeze. You can pack more stuff(everything in ziplocs and small bags) <BR>with the ability to buy some souvenirs,etc.The duffel bags "stuff" better for structured spaces such as taxis,train compartments.etc. These bags can be found at quite a few places and are made of nylon,etc. They have a handle that you can pick up and pull and are very lightweight. It will save your backs and make the travel experience very enjoyable. Have a great trip! Debbie

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 10:21 AM
H Holstein

Go to www.ricksteves.com web site. It is awesome. I am using many of his suggestons for packing light for my next trip to London. There is alot of info here. <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 10:34 AM
ann

Hi Debbie, I had two questions about your rolling duffle bags. First of all, can they truly withstand the rigors of being "checked-in?" I have a hard-sided Samsonite that got its corner bashed in one of the first times I checked it in. I would be concerned with the nylon being slashed. Also, I used a duffle bag in Africa one time and found it very hard to find things inside. In theory, I really like your suggestions. Thanks.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Debbie

Ann-in answer to your questions about the rolling duffles. I had spent my entire travel life with hard sided Samsonite suitcases(both for work and pleasure) but after having the stressfree options of rolling duffles-it would be hard to go back.(I have spent too many vacations renting bigger car and an extra taxi in order to accomodate our luggage.) The duffles that we took withstood 3 plane changes each way/bad taxis and trains. the material is not the lightweight nylon but more like what you would find on an EASTPAK type backpak(cordova nylon?).You can buy the see through type button bags for your clothes in different travel catalogues but I found that heavy colored plastic bags worked great.You do roll alot of things like sweaters and jackets but you can stuff shoes,etc. in small areas.My daughter now takes the bags instead of foot lockers to Maine for her summer camp. <BR>Its embarassing to say-but the bag situation in the past with my husband screaming about"the bag drills" has finally quieted.I would suggest if you do rolling duffles to try and have each member of family have a different colored bag with same color carryon. Its so much easier when you are quickly getting off train/out of taxi,etc. to make sure that you all have your bags.Any other questions,let me know. Debbie Also,don't forget a roll of duct tape(for a multitude of things and a flashlight). <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 12:09 PM
Kelly

I took a rolling duffle to Europe last summer. They are pretty tuff, but don't provide protection for fragile items (pack the delicate stuff in your carryon). They have a zipper along the top, so finding stuff was a breeze. It was easy to stuff--I filled the duffle, plus had to buy another bag, to get everything home. It was rather big though, and difficult to pull sometimes. All in all, not a bad way to go though.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 01:56 PM
elaine

I will add that it has been my experience that on overseas flights <BR>many (all?) major airlines limit carry on lugggage both by size AND weight, and the weight isn't much. For example, on BA a couple of years ago it was only 13 pounds, can't remember the limit on my more recent trips. Inquire with your airline. <BR>My approach is that after a long flight, another few minutes waiting for checked luggage isn't that big a deal, and I don't have to lug it off the plane and through the airport. I use a wheeled rectangular bag, with a tall telescoping handle because I'm tall. It doesn't have hard sides, but it does have a frame and a nylon skin. I mark the handles with colored fabric tape so it doesn't look exactly like everyone else's. <BR>For a carry on, all I use now is a nylon shoulder totebag which is my combination purse and carry on. On the flight it holds my purse stuff <BR>(wallet, tickets, credit cards, etc) as well as my flight supplies like large water, a few cosmetics, a sweater, and my book. <BR>Once I arrive, on a daily basis my totebag is my purse, with room for map, guidebooks, small water, small camera, small purchases, etc.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Sylvie

i just bought my first rolling duffle for an upcoming trip to italy. it seems like you can get quite a bit into one of those things -- especially using the roll method for clothing. i'm afraid of how much it's going to weigh when i'm done packing (i'm still frightened that i won't be able to pick it up...) so i call my airline to find out baggage requirements and it turns out i can have two bags weighing 70 pounds each. i'm flying lufthansa. does anyone know what the weight restrictions for luggage are on other airines? <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Denise

Elaine, <BR> <BR>I did purchase a rectangular carryon that I know I will have to check in. I like the long pull out handle. I got a good deal at a Samsonite outlet_$49.00 <BR>For my son, I got the duffle with wheels, like you suggested.Funny, but I bought it before I read the previous posts. My son can also throw it over his back like a backpack, even if not intended to use it like that. My husband is using a 22 inch backpack. I will get those plastic bags that compress clothing. I think it will all fit in. I just need a non wrinkle dress to wear or a skirt (for the Vatican). I also got a micro fiber tote that will double as a pocketbook. I checked out the Eagle creek websites and the price is just too high. One web site that Ed posted said that the Eagle creek bags won't fit in the overheads. By the way, my duffle with rolling wheels was a bargain -$19.00!! <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Denise

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 04:22 PM
calpurnia

My family and I have traveled a great deal, at least once a year out of country, and we have two rules about luggage. If it's not expensive and a bit worn then you won't get upset if it comes out of a plane with nicks and minor cuts. Also, if it doesn't have wheels, it's CRAP! <BR> <BR>Please don't bother to pack much, overpacking just once will cure you of that for the rest of your life; and, may I suggest visiting pompeii and hurculeaneum while in Italy? Have a nice trip.

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 03:22 PM
julie

Here's another point of view, from someone who has travelled the globe. Pack one piece of check type luggage with a strong lock and colored strap (to spy it easier). For carry on, pack only what YOU can carry, not husband or porter, softsided, with pockets, cheap is good enough, and pack light in this. The heavy, built to last forever stuff is heavy enough without anything in it. Pack enough for at least two nights (toiletries, night gown, change of clothes, and extraa shoes.)Half the stuff you drag along you won't need anyway. (I packed once for a cold season in London and it was HOT. ended up mailing everything home and starting over.) Then, when we got to Scotland, it was COLD, so had to buy a new coat, etc. Layers is the secret, and I deliberately dress drab, as to not attract any attention.