Need help planning 8 days itinerary for Bavaria and Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and i will be travelling to Bavaria in May 2018. Our rough itinery is as follows:

Day 1: Fly into Munich. Explore Munich.
Day 2: Munich
Day 3: Munich
Day 4: Leave for Berchtesgaden by train. See lake Konigsee and Obersee. Overnight at salzburg.
Day 5: Day trip to Hallstatt. Overnight at Salzburg.
Day 6: Go to Innsbruck. Explore it for a day. Overnight at Garmisch.
Day 7: Explore Garmisch & surrounding areas. Planning to visit Ettal, oberammergau, linderhof palace, eibsee etc.
Day 8: Neuschwanstein Castle & explore fussen. Overnight at Garmisch.
Day 9: Back to Munich. From here we leave for Italy.

Earlier we were planning to hire a car once we leave Munich. But i feel Navigation, parking and rental is quite a hassle. So now we are planning to completely rely on public transport.

Hence i would like to know if all these places can be easily done by using public transport? Does Garmisch have regional busses to go to ettal, eibsee and other places? In Garmisch we will be staying in an Airbnb at Alpspitzstraße 15, which is near bus station.

Does this itinerary look doable? Should we make any changes? Also Berchtesgaden and Hallstatt will be covered under Bayern ticket right?

Thanks
Namee

​​​​​
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 06:36 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is your original post, along with several responses.

8 Days in Bavaria and Austria
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 06:43 AM

And yes all those places can easily be reached by train and or bus. For lots on trains check www.bahn.de/en - German Railways site for easy to get train schedules for all of Europe; www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

And as said in other thread Bavarian Ticket does not cover Hallstatt nor most places in Austria - it can be used to go to Salzburg and of course all your German destinations - I think on previous thread swandav gave info on a cheaper regional day ticket for places around Garmich.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 03:33 PM

Salzburg to me is a gem - a Baroque gem - yet you only spend two nights there and not see this visual feast at all? To me about the best place all in all on your whole itinerary - why overlook it? Curous. Itinerary looks rushed at points but all in all very doable.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are you going back to Munich? There is a scenic train from Innsbruck into northeast Italy, and plenty to see in and around Innsbruck.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 06:38 AM

Yes agree with thursdaysd about cadtching train from Innsbruck instead of Munich - though not sure how night train goes but day trains thru Brennero Pass from Innsbruck yes very scenic.