Need help planning 1 wk Rome trip for husband's 30th bday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Rome in a couple weeks. We have no choice of vacation dates because of his job (surgical resident), and had planned to go to Rome, so we're going mid-November. While we are looking for a trip that is a little bit of sightseeing mixed with a lot of relaxation and fun-- not heavy morning-to-night pack-it-in activities and sightseeing. We are also pretty young, so we do want some nightlife suggestions. Most of this seems pretty easy to do given my research thus far, but my husband had a request that I find difficult: He wants to do something "extreme" on his actual birthday (#30). He mentioned skydiving or something similar. I get the impression that such "outdoor sport/adventure"-type activities are not really popular or available there. Plus, it is November, so I don't know that driving to the coast for a day and renting a speedboat would even work (he loves boating). Does anyone have any good suggestions for something special to do on his big 3-0? He's young, fun, and adventurous! Also, he wants a good dinner that night. Expensive is okay, but not old/stuffy. Something hip/modern/young/fun. Would love suggestions for good clubs, bars, and lounges, too. Also seeking suggestions for good restaurants other times in the week (mid priced). Exedra is currently well-priced-- thoughts? Are the lowest-tier rooms good, or do need to splurge for deluxe?
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 03:28 AM

Sorry I can't help you with the extreme acivities, but there's a restaurant called The Supperclub which might fit the bill for hip, modern, young, fun, (and adventurous and funky).

As I have never been there, I can't give a personal recommendation or otherwise, but check it out on
www.it.supperclub.com and see what you think. It'd certainly different from the usual dining experience and looks about as far from old and stuffy as you could get.

Hope you find something to suit you. Have you been to Rome before? If not, I think you'll really enjoy it. It's a highly lovable city, and romantic, exciting, grand, vibrant and sexy.

Cheers.

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:31 AM
ira

Hi LA,

>He wants to do something "extreme" on his actual birthday (#30). <

Rent a motorcycle and drive around Rome for an hour.

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Crossing the street in Rome is as extreme as I get, but I think the motorcycle might do the trick. Even driving a car in Rome seems to be an extreme sport for some taxi drivers I've encountered. Probably more chance of injuring others than skydiving, however.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 07:08 AM

Hot air ballooning? That would be an adventure for me...
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM

There is (or at least was) a teathered air balloon at the Villa Borghese in Rome. I think it is year around, depending on weather conditions.

I would imagine driving a motocycle around the streets of Rome though would provide more "thrills" as Ira suggested, LOL.

Hope you find something fun for your husband lukesaunt!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM

We went to a cool restaurant called "San Marco" in the Via Veneto area. Very sleek and modern. You might not want to do it for the actual big day, but maybe on one of your other days in Rome. This restaurant was full of young and "happening" Italians - we were the only tourists there (that I could tell). It is not particularly expensive.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:46 AM

For extreme adventures check out ~marmore.it
and ~raftingmarmore.com
100 km from Rome is a waterfall that provides opportunity for white water rafting, rockclimbing, and something called torrentism which looks like rockclimbing in the waterfall.
Not sure of schedules for November, but you could see if it's possible for your dates.
Or rent a Ferrari or Maserati for the day and drive in any direction.
Happy 30th to him!