need help in planning trip

Feb 27th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Sue

need help in planning trip

We have 12 days in France, with 3 of those in Paris, with our college freshman twins. Only Our daughter has been to France before, staying for 3 weeks with a family in Orleon, she visited Paris and the Loire Valley. She will study in Dijon in 2001, our question is what should we see this first trip, Povence, vs. Normandy and Loire Valley or all of the above?

Feb 27th, 2000, 12:46 PM
julie

We had 10 days in France a while back..we spent 3 in Paris (enough for me since I am not a big city person) and then headed down the Loire valley to Provance. Stopped at Aix-en-provence, Nice, and about 4 days in San Tropez. Stayed in Avion (sp?) and traveled out from there to the little mountain towns. Have had little interest in Normandy for some reason. perhaps it has bad vibes regarding the last war and what happened there.

Feb 28th, 2000, 02:54 PM
elvira

I'd say three days in Paris, then two days in Normandy (one for the beaches and museums, another for Mont St Michel), then 3 in the Loire Valley, and 3 in Provence. Granted, you won't see anything in depth, but you'll see a little bit of each (kinda like an antepasto vs the main course). To do it up right, you should spend all twelve days in Paris, or in the Loire Valley, or Normandy, or Provence. Exhaust yourselves and make a pact you will return to see more!

Mar 1st, 2000, 09:57 AM
Anthony

Sue,
My wife anad I love Provence. We have visited the town of St. Remy de Provence in each of the last seven years. It is scenic, restful nad just a splendid place. You have two college freshman, however, and I suspect they will be looking for a more lively environment. If I had that dilemma I would go to Paris for half your vacation then perhaps to Aix-en- Provence, that is called "the Paris of the south". It is a student town that probably has suitable diversions.

I suggest on some future trip staying in St. Remy with just your spouse. Go there in late June/early July when the lavender blooms in the hills around St. Remy--truly a little bit of heaven.

Best wishes.

Mar 1st, 2000, 10:16 AM
lisa

I recommend the Loire Valley most highly. The chateaux are magnificent. With 12 days I would spend 5 in Paris and divide the remaining 7 days roughly equally between the Loire and Provence. I think if you try to add Normandy as well it will just be too much and you will appreciate all of it less for lack of time.