Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advice on Copenhagen and Stockholm!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 02:30 PM
Marjorie

Would appreciate suggestions on the best (ie, fastest and cheapest) way to get between Stockholm and Copenhagen. Is there train service, or is it cheaper and easier to fly? <BR>Also, need advice on where to stay in both <BR>destinations, and suggestions on side trips not to be missed. Any good shopping discounts? Leaving March 30-April 9. Thank you! <BR>Marjorie <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 10:02 AM
jo

I went to copenhagen for my first trip <BR>last may. i stayed in a wonderful but not <BR>cheap hotel a block from tivoli. I am <BR>trying to remember the name of it. It was very nice, about $180 a nite for <BR>2 of us. great huge breakfast buffet. <BR> A day trip to the louisiana museum of <BR>modern art is fantastic. Its not far and <BR>the setting and building along are worth <BR>it. its on the coast with deck chairs outside. THey had some great photography <BR>exhibits whn I wa sthere. that was the only time I left the city cuz we were there for about 5 days and there was so <BR>much to do. wonderful art museums and also <BR>dont miss the museum of resistance. its <BR>fantastic and free. buses are great, <BR>people are so helpful and speak great <BR>English. If youw ant to know the name <BR>of my hotel email me and i will try to <BR>find it. i think i have it at home. its <BR>also real easy to train from the airport to the central train station adn <BR>we walked to our hotel from there about <BR>5 mins away.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 11:16 AM
ilisa

We stayed in a lovely hotel called the Sophie Amalie. It is located by the water and about a block from Nyhavn. From there, we were able to walk everywhere. I honestly don't recall the price, but I think it was quite reasonable. Of course, you must see Tivoli and walk along Stroget for shopping. We took a train one day to Helsingor to see Kronborg Castle. That is the castle that inspired Shakespeare to write Hamlet. The next day we took the train to Roskilde to see the viking museum. That was absolutely fascinating and should not be missed.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 11:23 AM
anna

I believe there is train service from Denmark to Sweden. They put your whole train on a ferry and take it across. The shortest distance between Denmark and Sweden is from Helsingor, just north of Copenhagen, (and a quick suburban train ride) to Helsingborg, but I don't know much about the actual trains and where they go. Rick Steve's Scandinavia in 2-22 days will probably have more info. In Copenhagen, we stayed at the Hotel Danmark, a very nice hotel, for about $135 a night for two, breakfast included. That was in May so you may be able to get it cheaper in March or April. Also the exchange rate is better now. it was 7 DKK/dollar then, and I think it's around 7.5 DKK/dollar now. The resistance museum is excellent, as is the National History Museum, just around the corner from the Hotel Danmark, Rosenborg Palace with the crown jewels, Fredricksborg palace in Hillerod, just outside of town, and a climb up the spiral staicase outside the steeple of Our Savior's Church. Get a Copenhagen Card which will get you into most of the tourist places and museums for free, all your bus and train transportation in and around Copenhagen (and you don't have to try to make sense of the zones and punch cards they use), and even a very cheap ($3-5) ferry crossing to Sweden, where you might then pick up a train to Stockholm. Copenhagen card has a website, and if you do a search for Hotels Copenhagen, you will eventually find the Danmark. Hotels are expensive in Copenhagen. Have never been to Sweden so can't help you there.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 11:38 AM
Al

In Stockholm, we stayed at the lovely little Hotel Gamla Stan (means "Old City"), right in the heart of...where else...the old city. Immaculately clean, excellent English-speaking staff, fine breakfast included. Walking distance to many places; only a few minutes by cab from the central railway station. Or take the subway. We recommend it highly. We heard it was owned and run by the Salvation Army! Ask if they have one of their rooms available on the top floor. That way, you can use their roof garden. We found costs in Sweden were much lower than in Denmark and Norway. There is excellent rail service between Stockholm and Copenhagen; check the web site for European railways. City center to city center. You won't believe how much gasoline costs in Scandinavia, largely due to enormous taxes.