Need help... I'm having doubts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reserved my ticket to Italy at a really good price for July 30 - Aug. 30. I was planning on going alone to study at a language school in Florence for 2 weeks and a language school in Taormina sicily for 2 weeks. I'm now having doubts and not sure if I want to go through with this. I have not paid for anything yet. I studied for a week in florence last summer, I liked it but felt lonely. I'm scared that the 4 weeks will just turn out to be a dissapointment.
MS
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:22 AM

I can understand your fears about traveling alone. I've yet to do so-later this year.
But since you'll be at a language school your daytime hours will be occupied. I looked at a couple of language schools sites a while back and they offer activities and dinners. Does your language school have these options available? Maybe you can inquire if they have.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:23 AM

I've never done anything like what you're proposing so can't really advise. I will mention, though, that another poster, crepes a go go, recently went to France on a language study and was also quite worried about being alone on arrival (in Paris) and just the general idea. She went and had a wonderful time but I think mentioned staying with a family was a good way to avoid loneliness. Is that a possibility for you?
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:42 AM

I haven't done this in Italy, but I have studied at language schools in Paris for that long or longer. It sounds like you have paid for the airline ticket, just not the tuition, is that correct? Do you still want to go to Italy, but just aren't sure you want to do language schools for the entire time?

I enjoyed my stays a lot, but I admit I am not the kind of person who likes being away from home for extended periods, it can be uncomfortable or just not as fulfilling as you might think. It's hard to tell if that is your concern or not. For many people, using up that much vacation time from work may limit other options during the year or even the next year, and that is something to consider, also--if this is the best use of your vacation time.

One thing I did kind of miss about my stays was that I was so busy with the school that I didn't really get to do a lot of other sightseeing during that time, or my classes were scheduled throughout the day so I couldn't even do easy daytrips. Even long weekends to other areas in the same country were not that feasible, if you have an intensive schedule.

I think you have a couple options. One is just to realize you are a little anxious, but that you really wanted to do this (assuming you gave it a lot of thought), and it will probably work out fine.

The other could be to limit yourself to one of those language schools for two weeks, and spend the rest of your time just traveling around or sightseeing if there are places you'd like to visit in Italy. That would give you a little bit of each. I will say that August may not be the optimal time for this in Italy, and you might expend part of that time and money on visiting Italy on another occasion when you can go during a more pleasant time period. that would be if you could change your airline ticket or haven't bought it yet. So, maybe to see how well you like this, you could just go this time for two weeks, and if you love it, go back another year to the other school for another two weeks.

I do think that a language school for one week is pretty limited, and you don't get the improvement you would with classes over a longer time period. Two-three weeks minimum is much better, but that does depend on your level, to some extent. For example, last summer I took a one-week morning conversation class in Paris at a language school to brush up and get more immersed into it at the beginning of a longer stay in France, but I am at a more advanced level. I don't think that would work as well for someone at a more beginning level of language.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It sounds fantastic to me (!) but I'm a fan of and experienced traveling solo. I like the ideas already suggested of looking into ways to socialize, whether thru the school directly or maybe they can offer suggestions. Cooking classes or an activity that would keep you in touch with other people? Also don't overlook the possibility of making friends with your fellow students. Be brave and ask someone to join you for coffee or dinner sometime. My thought is that to avoid the dissappointment you're worried about, will take a bit of extra effort in making contacts, and making yourself comfortable.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

tpp
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Maria- I have recently experienced what you are about to do. I spent 17 days in Florence by myself where I took a 2 week language course. I too was very anxious about solo tarvel and being lonely before I went. It turned out to be a fantastic experience. I made good friends with several fellow students who I ate meals with and hung out with. In fact I seldom ate a meal alone and sometimes felt as if I overbooked myelf. School will take up a lot of your day so you won't have that much free time. I took advantage of some excursions the schol offered that were great. Eating at restaurants with communal tables is also a good way to meet people. In Florence for example there is Il Latini, Trattoria Mosacce and the Yellow bar to name a few. I also loved eating at the bar at Cantina Antinori. You can do it!
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Almost undoubtedly there will be other students who are feeling the same way you do. I bet you within a day or so after arrival you'll be so glad you went for it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:09 AM

The time frame you will be in Italy there will be plenty of tourists. If you get to Sicily and find yourself with noone to talk to I live 45 minutes from Taormina.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:53 AM

Hi,
Don"t have the exact same scenario, but I can tell you that my first trip ever to Europe (and first big trip anywhere)I went for a 21 day European bus tour knowing absolutely no one. Was I nervous? You bet. Did I flip a lot of coins before making the deposit? Of course. But something told me that I had to do it, that it would be making a dream come true. The first night in London, met some of the people taking the trip...and they were in exactly the same situation as me. There were couples but also a lot of single people. And from the very first night when we went to explore the city, none of us ever having been there, we bonded. The fact it was all new to every one of us, we were all experiencing new cultures, new currencies, new food, new subweay systems, etc.. made us come together. If I had to vernture an opinion, I would do the first school, then take the rest of the time to travel. I would guess that others taking your first set of classes would be doing the same. I think you will also find that english will be understood in most larger/welll travelled areas. You will meet people, you will have great experiences and you will have memories to last you till your next trip. I wish you the best!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:37 AM

Ah..I'd like to put my 2 cents in! I have been contemplating travelling solo also and have my fears. Someone on this site or another recommended a book "Without Reservation," about a woman's solo travels...and I just finished it...what I got from it was that travelling solo will never be all good or all bad...you will no doubt feel lonely and miss home, and there will also be moments of great strength where you are so happy you took the risk...I think what stops us is the fear of strong negative emotions that are not desirable to feel. This woman who wrote the book used her lonliness and fears to reach out to other people and formed friendships while she was travelling. She accepted that some days were not going to be great...and she would get thru it. Do you think if you cancel, you will feel worse about NOT taking the chance...that you will feel like you have let yourself down...I know I have felt that way when I have chosen the 'safe' way...the more controlled environment...just some things to think about.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:32 AM

I have been home for 2 weeks from a 6 week language study in Tours, France. I was terrified to go and almost cancelled. Thank goodness I went because IT WAS THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE! I am already planning my next study there!

I am a 44 year old female who had NEVER travelled alone. I left two kids, a husband and my precious dachshund at home. I did stay with a family, and that was a good choice. But I had many friends at school. We had lunches together and did things together at weekends. I made one friend in particular that was there for my entire stay, and we are currently making plans to go on a trip together. I think we will probably be friends for years to come.

Be open to experiences. Go with the knowledge that, as somebody told me, there are planes flying back everyday. If it is that unbearable, get on one. And I want you to post to this board when you get back so that you can say "IT WAS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE"!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:19 AM

Crepes...I actually printed out your posts when you were having your doubts because everything everyone said was so encouraging...I myself am wanting to go to Italy on a tour, without my husband as he doesnt like to travel..and am making up these excuses as to why I shouldnt go...I might be lonely, I might not get along with anyone on the tour, terror alerts, getting sick abroad, all the whatif's that stop us from living...I know it is all rediculous and that I'd probably come home saying the same as you...I do hope that I will get over these whatifs and just go!!
I am so glad to hear you did, and that gives me hope
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

ttpp
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:11 PM

I did 16 days in Italy this spring and it was my first trip to europe and my first solo trip. I had the best time. I was alone a lot of the time, but I also met a lot of great people eating dinner alone. Being solo on a trip means that you can change plans at the drop of a hat and not spend energy convincing someone else that it is a good idea. I ended up meeting someone on my trip that I am going back to see in September, you never know what or who will come into your life. I only wish that I had not waited until 36 to take the leap.
Good luck and have a great time. Florence is a very comfortable city with great people. Also, what language school are you going to, I was thinking of taking classes while I was there?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

I'm attending the koine language school in florence.