Need Help? Here's how to get it.

May 22nd, 2000, 08:13 AM
julie

Need Help? Here's how to get it.

When trying to get response from Foders readers, here are some hints that might arouse more interest:
1. Be brief, but specific in your topic
(not just type "HELP"
2. Try to express your issue well and check
spelling. (Where the heck is
"Backingham Palace"?
3. Skip the rudeness and combative answers
designed to make you look smart and
everyone else like an idiot.
4. Don't ask for responses that are
obvious, or could be answered by
opening a guide book, i.e., Is the
"Washington Irving" hotel in Granada?

And for responders, one might suggest that an adequate response is a few paragraphs, not an entire diatribe or blow-by-blow trip report. Too many people are using this forum to exercise their egos or expand on their expertise, with no particular interest in answering the question or query.

May 22nd, 2000, 08:21 AM
Richard

Thanks for the reminder. I agree.

May 22nd, 2000, 08:32 AM
frank

Nothing wrong with long responses...Maribel posted 2 yesterday about Spain, one was very long & she received much thanks from the questioner...if the posts are too long, don't read them.If the responder is going off topic, don't read it.

I reserve the right to express my opinions, just as others have the right to reject them.

Perhaps some questions & responses could be streamlined a little, but this isn't an official help desk.

If you don't like a question, ignore it, if it's poor nobody will respond & it will soon disappear from the board.

To answer your question, everyone knows where "Backingham Palace" is, don't you?

May 22nd, 2000, 08:40 AM
Cindy

Sorry, Julie. I don't agree about long posts that are off the subject. Some of these are terribly funny, educational or even thought-provoking, and the board would be awfully dull and repetitive without them.

Regarding brevity, I have posted a few honest-to-goodness travel inquiries, and I really appreciated the folks who took the time to really flesh out their answers, even if that required several paragraphs.

Anyway, the rest of your suggestions are excellent.

May 22nd, 2000, 11:32 AM
Kavey

Julie

How can you on one hand tell us to skip the rude and combative answers and then on the other hand be so incredibly rude about a mispelling of Buckingham Palace??????

Secondly I love the longer reports, the longer the better, it's in these long and rambling reports that I really get the most information, the stuff I wouldnt find in a guide book.

If I wanted only a question and answer service where I would ask for the name of a hotel and thats all I would find I would go and look it up in a guide book.

But at least I agree with your 1st point...

Kavey

I do agree with you on issue 1 at

May 22nd, 2000, 03:12 PM
gloria

Who made you the official in charge of the Fodors board?

May 22nd, 2000, 03:49 PM
Ed

Good suggestions, all, Julie.

Ed

May 22nd, 2000, 04:49 PM
martha

Julie: I feel you didn't follow your own rule #3 when you posted your message. I feel that you are trying to make yourself look smart and others look like idiots.

May 23rd, 2000, 12:15 AM
frank

.....Also rule 2 "Foders"??