Reload this Page >

Need help Greece/Turkey..Leaving Soon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 04:25 AM
Vit

I'll be going to Israel for a few days and then would like to spend a week traveling in Turkey and Greece. Because I only have a week, I was thinking just to stay in Istambul for 2 days or so and to spend the rest of the time in seeig Greek islands. Any suggestionson the itinerary. What should I see, where to stay, what not to miss, where to eat, whqat to avoid...All responses wouold be very much appreciated..

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:09 AM
April

Only two days in Turkey? Haven't been but have been to Greece. From what I've seen of Turkey (books and video), I think I'd want more time there.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:51 AM
vit

April, what can you tell me about Athens/ and ahich Islands should I defintely see?

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 11:56 AM
Thyra

Hi Vit, we also are planning a trip to Greece, this October, and I have found invaluable help on www.greektravel.com <BR>It is a website run by one Matt Barrett and it is pretty comprehensive.. He give island by island descriptions, restaurant info. Ferry info food info....pages upon pages of Athens information. I urge you to check it out then if you have questions,(and I have had a ton)email Matt directly and he usually responds within 48 hours. Good Luck

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 01:12 PM
April

Vit, <BR>I am one of the few (apparently) who rather enjoyed Athens. It gives a horrible first impression but after spending some time there it grew on me. If I only had one day there, I would start in the Plaka and hike up the Acropolis. We started to the left and worked our way around and up, visiting the fabulous Parthenon in the early morning before the crowds & heat. Come back down the other way, following the old, worn, slippery road. You'll pass a restaurant on the hillside where you may want to stop. Come back down thru Monastiraki. There are ruins all over the place. <BR> <BR>Best of all, make a point of finding Anafiotika, the area with Cycladic buildings. Fodor's book on Greece has some interesting information on this. I can't tell you how to find it; we just fumbled into it, somewhere on the side of the Acropolis. <BR> <BR>With the remaining time, I would head down Syntagma Square way which is not far, cross the street and watch the Evzones. An odd, rundown little park is nearby with lots of cats.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 02:52 PM
April

Vit, <BR>(Back from a dental appointment.) As for islands I have only been to the Cyclades. From the ferry, one Cycladic island looks much like another - arid, rocky, mostly barren, with whitewashed buildings. As many people here know, I am a fan of Folegandros, not of Santorini. If I were going again, I would look for a greener island. <BR> <BR>Actually if I were you, I would probably spend the whole week in Turkey.

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Antique Theatre Hotel

Hello, <BR> <BR>Should you consider visiting the Turkish Aegean coast across from the Greek Islands, Bodrum (ancient Halikarnassus) is definitely worth a visit. <BR> <BR>If you are looking for accomodation that caters to the sophisticated traveller, please visit our web site at www.pathcom.com/~antique

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 07:40 AM
Vit

Thank you all for your feedback...Basewd on all the ffedback, I'm leeaning twards Greece, unless making arrangements would prove to be a major challenge. <BR>I'm starting to make arrnagements now and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions. <BR>Still confused about the islands..Want to pick 2(one large and one small) and was thinking between Mykonos/Santorini and Paros/Naxos.. We like a good combination of beatiful scenary and nice nightlife, beaches and active things to do...Again if any feedback, I would really appreciate... <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 11:54 AM
April

Between Mykonos and Santorini, I'd pick Santorini. Most people love it and you'd probably regret not seeing it.