NEED HELP GREAT BRITAIN TRIP

Old Sep 24th, 2005, 02:35 PM
mariadelagracia

NEED HELP GREAT BRITAIN TRIP

traveling to london (bath, salisbury, stonehenge) and edinburgh (glasgow and countryside). have read a couple of travel books on these and have done a LOT of research on the internet. still have some questions i can't seem to find answers for. please give me any input or comments on the following:
** a SMALL group tour leaving london to bath, salisbury and stonehenge (the ones i've found either leave from bath and it seems like they try to cram too much in one day. i don't mind doing two separate tours, one day to bath, and another to salisbury and stoneheng.
** how far and long is it to get to paddington station from central london?
** need recommendation for a lodging very near paddington station. (will be taking the heathrow express to the airport from there)
** seems like we would save roughly $160 (per person) if we fly to edinburgh from london instead of taking the train (through travelocity, orbitz or expedia). are british airways and BMI good airlines?
** how far is edinburgh airport from the center of edinburgh city?
** which car rental companies should i stay away from?
** which company would you recommend i go to get a really good book on DETAILED maps for england and scotland? since we are driving as far west as oban and as far north as inverness, we need road details.
thanks!

Old Sep 24th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get a return train ticket from London to Edinburgh for £90.60 (about $160) at the station before travelling. There are cheaper fares if you book in advance and lose flexibility.
I don't understand how flying can save $160 per person.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Hi,
Like Geoffhamer I'd be surprised if the plane from London to Edinburgh was cheaper than the train. From other posts I've seen, I think a lot of web sites quote the maximum UK rail price when it's nearly always possible to get a much cheaper ticket - especially for a return journey. When you include check-in and travel to and from the airports, flying probably doesn't save much time for ths trip either.
If you're driving across a big stretch of the UK you'll find a road atlas (book of maps) easier than having lots of separate folding maps. The AA (Automobile Association) publish one nearly every year, these are widely sold in book shops and larger newsagents. You can often get last year's for a few GB Pounds which is good value. For driving, don't buy anything less than scale 1-250,000 (4 miles to 1 inch) and make sure it keeps the same scale for the north of Scotland - some maps save space by putting the highlands and islands on a much smaller scale.
British Airways and BMI are both reputable airlines. BMI Baby is the low cost partner of BMI, still quite reliable but you must be aware that they save money by not having fancy meals etc.
Edinburgh Airport is about 10 miles west of the city centre. There's a good bus service from several points in the city.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 06:30 PM

** how far and long is it to get to paddington station from central london?

Paddington IS in central London -- not in the very center but inside zone 1. How long it takes will depend on where you are starting from.

** need recommendation for a lodging very near paddington station. (will be taking the heathrow express to the airport from there)

Even if you do take the Heathrow Express - that doesn't mean you must stay near Paddington. I'd personally pick a hotel I like in a nicer part of town and then take the tube, a bus or a cab to Paddington.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 10:51 PM

Random search on a November date shows a single (one-way) train ticket for £12.50 in each direction. It didn't let me look up return prices for some reason, but even if you had to book as two singles that's only £25.

Are you trying to book through an agent in the States? Maybe that is why the train is coming up so expensive. Book direct at www.nationalrail.co.uk.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Quality Hotel Paddington is (by London standards) cheap and cheerful and less than 5 minutes, fully laden from the Heathrow Express.

It's about 5 miles from the airport in Edinburgh to the city centre.

Agree about the maps.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM

For tours to Bath, Stonehenge and Salisbury try London Walks. I believe they have a day tour of Bath as well as another tour of Stonhenge and Salisbury and the guides are usually excellent. However they do not run on a daily basis. Go to their website for departure days.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Bath , Stonehenge and Salisbury in one day would be very difficult if you actually wished to see anything. I live within 30 miles of Salisbury, and ussually take visitors to Stonehenge in the morning, then on to Salisbury, but we rarely see much more than the Cathederal.

Bath is well worth as much time as you can spare. I could spend several hours just in the main roman baths, without doing any other touristy things.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:11 PM

In Bath, the costume museum is fascinating--not to mention Bath Abbey and the Pump House.