Reload this Page >

Need help from Paris Experts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:49 AM
aj

I am trying to retrace our last evening walk in Paris and I can't locate the wonderful area we were in. We were walking back towards the Marias, crossed the Seine at I think Pont des Arts. Somewhere around the Jardan du Plais Royal there was a little terraced passage by a church (....Jerusalem in the name.) It could have included a convent because there were nuns in the area. It was getting dark and there were small restaurants in the area. I would love to go back some time. Can anyone tell me the church and the exact area? I hate to be lost but it is exciting at times.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Wayne

If you crossed the Pont des Arts headed for the Marais, you would have most likely not passed by the Jardin du Palais Royal unless you were lost. The Marais would have been a right turn once across the river, and Palais Royal would be a left turn once past the Louvre. Assuming you did turn left past the Louvre, then finally turned back right toward the Marais, the church you most likely remember is St. Eustache. However, if you proceeded farther toward the Marais before you came upon a church, it would be the little Eglise St. Merri, on Rue des Lombards. My guess is you were at St. Merri. If you draw a line on the map extending northward along the street from Pont Notre Dame for about 3 blocks (you can't walk that line because there are jogs in the streets) you will come to St. Merri. That almost has to be it.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:35 AM
aj

Wayne, <BR>Thank you for your help. We were headed toward Marais but not directly. After your good directions I am looking at my map and I do think it may indeed be St. Merri. I will have to check again when I am in Paris during the daylight hours. Thank you again!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Janice

Eglise Saint Gervais Communion de J&eacute;rusalem is the only church I know of in Paris with Jerusalem in the name. They're at 13 rue des Barres. Maybe when you're checking on Wayne's idea, you can look this up on the map too.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Kidtfox

AJ,<BR><BR>If you indeed took Ponts D'Arts...you would've walked straight into Jardin De Infant&eacute;, and if you hanged right you'd have come up on Place Du Louvre, on Rue Du Lourve....on your right would've been Eglise Saint Germain L'Auxerrois....Merri is a little more North and East on Rue St Martin.<BR><BR>Hope this helps...

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:17 PM
aj

Thank you to all for your help. I am still checking the map on all your suggestions. Hopefully I will come up with the answer. I can only see the picture in my mind. A cute little (blue) cafe and some terraced steps leading to a church on one side and some shops on the other. I do remember seeing nuns in the area. Thank you again.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Capo

Hi aj. This sounds very familiar. I also recall a church with a little terraced passage in that general area (the church was to the left of the passage as one headed north.) Was this fairly close (like about 2-3 blocks) from the Seine?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Janice

Based on your expanded description, I'm agreeing with Wayne that it sounds like Merri.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:41 PM
aj

This is so much fun. Kind of like a "treasure hunt". Any way, Janice I did look up rue des Barres on the Pagesjaunes.fr website and this looks like it might be the passage. Anyway the steps looked the same. It was much more romantic looking in the dusk of evening and candles on the cafe tables! I guess that will be a good memory to keep of my last night in Paris. Capo, it sounds like you have been in the same area. We had a wonderful 3rd trip to Paris! Fodors has helped me with all my trips and I can't thank you all enough.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Capo

aj, I just looked up rue des Barres on pages jaune too, and it's definitely the place I remember. Your comment about the terraced passage is what made me think this was it, although I couldn't remember the name of the passage or the church. <BR><BR>Regarding St. Merri, if I'm not mistaken, there's a hotel next to it which has a room with a flying buttress over the bed.