Reload this Page >

Need help finding cheap London hotel!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Sarah

I will be travelling with my mother to London in June and have never been there before. We are on a budget and want to spnd under $100 a night and want to be somewhere close to the action of London! I really need help here because I don't know where to begin? What are the best areas to stay in? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!<BR><BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Julie

Sarah - you will be hard pressed to find anything in the centre of London that is under 100$ unless you consider some of the hostels there, most of which have not only dormitory, but double and single rooms as well. You will be looking at approximately 45pounds per person per night in a double room at a hostel. <BR>Another alternative is to venture out of the centre of London and find a family run bed and breakfast (of which there are tons)they will be cheaper than most other kinds of accomodation (excluding dorm rooms...)<BR><BR>London has one of the best subway (tube) systems in the world, so if you do stay further away from the city centre it is simple to hop on a train and get where you want to go. Most destinations will not take more than 15 minutes to reach...<BR>It can be worth it to stay in a quiet place away from the masses - and save some $$ as well<BR><BR>Also why not try one of the double decker buses and do some sightseeing on your way to wherever you may be going!?!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:38 PM
paul

Try http://www.biddingfortravel.com which is a site that helps bidders who use Priceline.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:42 PM
smiley

for cheap, try the Byron or Central Park both on Queensborough--in Bayswater<BR>for average try the Park Lane<BR>or Novotel in Hammersmith

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Shadow

Sarah-we stayed last summer at the Travel Inn-County Hall and its cost is a 79 English Pounds a room per night. That will be a little over $100 but the location is great-on the river Thames and "kitty-corner" from Big Ben and near the Waterloo tube stop. It is a big place-clean rooms and there is a nice restaurant and bar on the premises.<BR>(We had a nice dinner there-really!) It is not a fancy place but was fine for us.<BR>Check it out at www.travelinn.com<BR>Shadow

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Alisa

Hello,<BR>Try to search the internet for a deal at the Strand Palace. I stayed there for around a hundred bucks a night. It has gotten slammed a bit on this board but it is close to the action. The rooms are small but clean. Walking distance to Covent Garden.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Leslie

Sarah - a very good booking site for London hotels is www.hotel-assist.com. Especially look for their deals, sorted by month.<BR><BR>I see they have a deal at the Adlephi in June, which is well recommended by many on this board. I stayed at the Burns Hotel which is a very pleasant three star with a great breakfast buffet (it's a Best Western) near the Earl's Court tube stop and on a pleasant street with a park (Barkston Gardens).. Hotel Assist had a good deal on this in February. I got the best deal on www.hoteldiscounts.com but this required full prepayment. I didn't find as good a price on the BestWestern website, even with a AAA or an AARP discount rate.<BR><BR>Recommend you book ASAP since June will have Wimbledon as well as events for the Queen's Jubilee.<BR><BR>As to areas, South Kensington, Knightsbridge, and Bloomsbury are popular, particularly near the tube stops for the Piccadilly line. You might find less expensive places in the Bayswater area, or near Victoria Station.<BR><BR>Do remember that the prices quoted in the UK generally include the VAT tax and breakfast so $100 per night would really be more comparable to $130 in the U.S., adding in hotel tax and breakfast.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 02:31 AM
Ginger

I agree with Shadow's post recommending the Travel Inn. It's hard to beat when you balance location and price. <BR><BR>My only other suggestion (if you want hotel as opposed to B&B type places), is check out the Raddisson chain. Of late they've been having some pretty good deals.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Mel

Leslie: When did the Burns go Best Western? It used to be owned by a German consortium (can't remember the name). I also really like this hotel.<BR><BR>Sarah: I've stayed at and like the Adelphi, as well. I'd opt for the Burns if it's lower in price, but the Adelphi if they come out the same, as the location (very close to the Gloucester Road tube stop) would make the difference for me.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:20 AM
AA

Sarah,<BR>There are still lots of tiny hotels in London that are less or close to the 100 dollars range. On Gower St, which is the actually the other half of Blumsberry, near the British Museum, you will find many of them. We stayed in Regency House Hotel, 71 Gower St, tel-207-6371804. Nice small room, shower TV etc. I can't remember the exact rate, but it was around 55 pounds.<BR>Other small hotels on the same street are:<BR>Arfosa on 83 Gower St<BR>Aran - 77 Gower St<BR>Cavendish - 75 Gower St<BR>Ridgemont - 65 Gower St<BR>And there are more...<BR>Gower St is not in the center of the action but many buses run on this street and the Underground is 2 blocks away from it (Goodge St station). <BR>It is also 2 blocks from Tottenham Court Road and close to meny lovely small restaurants.<BR>Hope this helps you.<BR>AA

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Marla

Sarah, <BR><BR>Try www.londontown.com. We reserved a double at the Millennium Bailey's for 60 pounds. BUT, that was last October. I'm sure that rate is not available during June. But, londontown.com might have something else in your price range. Good Luck.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Leslie

Mel - sorry, I don't know when the Burns Hotel became a Best Western. I just discovered it when I booked in January for a February trip. It certainly didn't feel like any kind of a chain hotel, but it is most definately a Best Western which I liked as I got airline miles for my stay as well. Nicely appointed and a great buffet breakast, which they called a "continental breakfast."

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Leslie

Sarah - Yes, www.londontown.com is another good source for deals, as are the British Tourist Authority at www.visitbritain.org or the London Tourist Board at www.londontouristboard.co.uk.<BR><BR>I just checked the Hotel-Assist site and the Adelphi is being offered on a June special at 70 pounds (Fri - Sun) and 80 pounds Mon - Thurs for a double, inclusive of taxes and full breakfast. Mel is right about location. The area of the Glouschester Rd tube station is lovely and so convenient..more so than Earls Court.<BR><BR>Also, the Montana is being offered at 75 pounds (figure a pound at about $1.50). It is also recommended by many. On Londontown, there are also many to choose from at lower rates. You can see photos of these places on these websites and also, you can do a search here on Fodors forum using "London Hotel" and find lots of recommendations, as well as looking at the Rant's N Raves on for hotels on Fodors. <BR><BR>Still, my best advice is that you secure your reservation soon.<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Katherine

Sarah I have a suggestion that you might check out. My mother and I went to London (however it was off season so I do not know what rate it will be).<BR>We stayed in the Bloomsbury district at a B and B called Haddon Hall it is on Bedford Place. They do have a website but you need to do a search on Google. Also on Bedford Place there are other hotels that are budget. So if you see any hotels with a Bedford Place address then check it out. The type of room that my mother and I had had two twin beds, sink and closet space and a chest of drawers. The shower was across the hall. We saved money that way (just bring shower thongs with you). Otherwise ask if they have a room ensuite with bathroom in it. I wish you the best of luck.

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Martha

Another possibility - my husband and I stayed at one of the London School of Economics dormitories on High Holborn - great location, great views...cheap by London standards...