Reload this Page >

Need help deciding where to go--Eastern Europe or Rio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:22 PM
Kevin

I have been ben to Western Europe many times. I am thinking of travelling to Budapest and Prague in August for about 3 weeks. An alternative is Rio. I have for now booked flights to both places. I am leaning towards Eastern Europe now. Partly because my partner is worried about travelling to Rio--he wants to stay away from 3rd world countries unless we know someon (he comes from a 3rd world country himself). <BR><BR>I wuld like feedback from people who have been to any of the cities I mentioned. We like old architecture. I hear Budapect and Prauge are cheap for food. We are also into meeting goodlooking guys and saunas. We hear guys in Rio are very hot, and alot of th recent movies we like show very hot E. European guys too. All non-homophobic comments welcome.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:39 PM
Howitzer

Lonely Planet thorn tree message board for gay and lesbian travel is more informative and no holds barred..I would try there..and you ARE opening up yourself to vicious innuendo by visiting this board with that question. You are in luck though..the ones who frequent the european board are a bit more subdued than the USA board. Thank your lucky stars you didnt ask this question over there. By the way..i would choose Rio over depressing eastern europe any day.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:05 PM
Kevin

Thanks Howitzer for info on lonely plane. What some ignorant folks on here might say would not bother me anyway, but I appreciate your concern. Did yo actually travel to Prague and Budapest and find them depressing? And have you been to Rio? I have read Rio has a very poor and deadly class of children n gangs--i mean pre-teens. I know we have some of that here too--but I heard its very rampant there and that can also be depressing , not to mention scary...

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:43 PM
pat

Haven`t been to eastern Europe so can`t speak about it. I have been to Rio, though. Lots of poor people, one guy in our group got robbed at knife point for his shoes and watch (he had to wear flip flops for the rest of the trip, as he had big feet, and couldn`t find any shoes that fit), our hotel on the beach (Copacabana beach, as I recall) caught on fire in the middle of the night (fire was put out and no one injured). Also, I ate something and got very ill, but got over it in a day. So decide for yourself. Maybe someone else will have more comments. Other than those things, I did enjoy Rio, especially shopping for leather.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:43 AM
Jimbo

Hey Kevin<BR><BR>Just to say that I visited Prague last Christmas and had a brilliant time. It's not depressing in the slightest, and in August it'll be blistering hot, so if you do go, take your sun tan lotion! As for cheap cost of living, it doesn't get much cheaper!<BR><BR>Enjoy.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:55 AM
wow

Kevin - go to Eastern Europe - you will meet some of the most friendly people and have a great time. Having travelled a lot - although not to Rio - I would class Prague and Budapest as two of the most fun places I have ever been.<BR><BR>Have fun wherever you chose.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:11 AM
notdepressing

I don´t understand how anybody can describe Prague and Budapest depressing. They are far from it! Both beautiful places full of old buildings and atmosphere. In fact many people think Prague is the most beautiful city in Europe.<BR><BR>Just not that saunas in Europe are usually not places for sex. They are places to sweat toxines out of your system and get clean. Sauna has nothing to do with sex. But I am sure you´ll find enough gay clubs in both towns you mentioned.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:23 AM
Leslie

I have been to both Prague and Budapest within the past 9 months, and only want to advise you that August is considered high season, so it can be very crowded and very expensive. Also, depending on when you want to be in Budapest in August, just bear in mind that the Formula 1 Race will be happening, and you might not find any hotel rooms. Prices sky rocket during the race days and high season.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:04 AM
Barry

Hi Kevin,<BR>Rio is absolutely amazing and is such a great gay destination IMHP. I went there with a friend and his female cousin last April. My fiend is not really what you would call a looker. In fact he is kind of a bear, a fortyish bear at that. He met so many guys I couldnt get over it. I was so envious! I also met some very sweet men there too. <BR>As far as the weather is concerned, it was warm but so pleasant. We welcomed the change as we live in northern Maine. You said you might go this summer? Joao, a Brazilian we met there told us that the summer is nice and just a little cooler than when we were there. <BR>As far as safety is concerned, use common sense. We had no problem at all. We took cabs(cheap)at night from our hotel to restaurants, bars, saunas(amazing!Cute guys galore)We did meet a guy at our hotel that had his wallet stolen. It didnt surprise us because he seemed like a lush and was drunk a lot. Just be careful if you do hit the bars to have your wits about you and have the bar call you a cab when you leave.<BR>You were asking about architecture. Well you can go to some incredible colonial towns where you see the most stunning Baroque buildings you can imagine. These towns are nestled in the mountains and rain forest which make them ever so spectacular.<BR>Are you and your partner foodies? If you are, the food was to die for and cheap. <BR>My friend went to Amsterdam, Prague and Budapest 2 years ago and said that the seen in Rio put those other cities to shame as far as the scene is concerned. Also, he said that Prague and Budapest were like ovens in the summer. He doesnt like the heat. Rio was ok for him because you get the breeze from the ocean. Well good luck with your decision. I am so jealous. I'd go back to Rio in a minute!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:27 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Just a quick thought and you may know this already, but you need to obtain a visa to go to Rio. It takes a little time and hassle because with the exception of those who live in several states served by the Washington DC embassy, it can't be done by mail. Be sure to check out the Brazilian embassy website -- (sorry, I don't have the address right here but you can run a quick search) -- and learn about how to obtain your tourist visa from the consulate serving your state. You can't do this at the airport and it has to be taken care of in advance. I've heard that people are regularly left standing at the airport because they thought all they needed was a passport and there really seems to be no procedure to handle this on a last minute-type basis.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:27 AM
ttt

to the top

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:33 AM
Paul

Hey Kevin,<BR>Rio is fabulous and I have been to Prague and Budapest as well. My partner and I went last year. It was super however, the heat was just unbearable in those two cities. Many hotels don't have AC and we just didnt think that it was as much of a bargain as Rio was. I think we were more careful in Rio because of everything we read and had no problems. While in Prague, I almost had my wallet stollen while on a bus. An Australian tourist we met at our hotel did lose her wallet at a market. So, you have to be carefull no matter where you go.<BR>I prefered the Brazilian food because I found the food to be too heavy in Prague and Budapest. I would say more people spoke English in Budapest than in Rio but the Brazilians were so much more friendly and "friendly", if you catch my drift. Good luck and go to Rio. Skip Budapest and Prague. Dont get me wrong. I liked those cities, but Id never go there again in the summer.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:38 AM
Uncle Sam

Ddin't realize so many gays were in business together, quite a lot of partnerships!<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:59 AM
Barry

I don't get it, Uncle Sam. Are you trying to be funny or something?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:30 AM
oscar

Uncle Sam you wouldn't believe the perks we gays get - and if you're a lesbian, the discounts. All you have to say at the next restaurant you eat at Uncle Sam is 'I am a lesbian" and you'll get a 50% discount on your meal. But shhh....don't tell anyone.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:41 AM
Uncle Sam

Oscar,<BR><BR>I knew that there had to be a viable reason for telling the whole wide world that you're gay. Now I know what it is...thanks!<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Kevin

Thanks guys for all the help! Not depressing--I know there are saunas in Europe w/o sex-non-gay saunas (usually turkish) but there are MANY gay saunas all over Europe, and believe me, there is sex there! I know from many experinces. There are also gay saunas in Prague and Budapest--i was wondering how they were! <BR><BR>Uncle Sam--i know you are jelous and want to be a member of the "club" but cant seem to come out. And the reason some gays tell their sexuality is that otherwise the world assumes they are straight and maybe even that they are like you! Now, who would want that! But seriously, do u think it may be in part because gays constantly here negative comments from some st8's about being gay, and they are tired of it? Come on sam, u know its true!!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:31 AM
Uncle Sam

Kevin,<BR>You guessed it. I'm jealous all right...jealous of a lowered life span, jealous of higher risk for aids, jealous of...<BR><BR>Well never mind, you're right, I'm jealous!<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:44 AM
Aunt Samantha

Now tell us Uncle Sam. Which city do you find more interesting from a gay point of view. You are gay, right?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:44 AM
oscar

Getting back to the orginal question - the baths in Budapest aren't like the bath houses (saunas) in the US (or Paris, Rome, London, etc, etc). Some Budapest baths have a larger gay clientel than others, while other baths have certain hours that gays seem to congregate - some in the morning, some in the afternoon. There are invariably curious straight married men "socializing" during these times also - right Uncle Sam? Some baths frown upon men engaging in sex. Some baths look the other way. But I will say that sex is not rampant in the baths in Budapest. The are gay bars with back rooms (remember that next time your in Budapest Uncle Sam). There are sex clubs in Prague also. The bath/spas are outside of Prague. It all depends upon what you and your partner are looking to do.<BR><BR>As for visiting Budapest in August - it will be hot and humid. Of course Rio is near the equator so it will be hot and humid also - but the coast line looks incredible, not to mention the men. Don't know anything about the saunas / spas / bath there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -