Need help deciding a city to visit: Munich/Vienna/Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2019, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. First time poster. So a little background, another couple, my wife and I plan to visit Europe in July of 2020. Our first stop is in London then we plan to visit Paris. After Paris we plan to visit 1 last city for 4 full days leaving on the 5th day to fly home. We are into food and culture. Possibly taking day trips to other places.

This is our first time visiting Europe for all of us and we don't have a set plan. We kind like to go with the flow. Can anyone give any recommendations for first time Europe travelers and what you think would be the city to visit? Also for cities like Munich which are a little more spread out, we don't mind renting a car and driving for day trips and stuff.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 09:44 AM

Because it will be July which is prime tourist season, of the 3 choices you are thinking of I would be inclined to skip Prague that time of year. We did a driving trip 2 years ago in May and Prague was packed-so I would expect it to be even more packed in July. Both Munich and Vienna are lovely cities and with only 4 days I would be inclined to not rent a car but just explore the city. You say you will be flying home on the 5th day-do you have to go back to Paris for that flight or can you fly back from the country you will be visiting? That would be preferable IMO. But if you have to go back to Paris I would look closely at the routing before deciding because it would influence my choice of third country.....
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 09:58 AM

Why in summer?

City breaks are much better done in spring and fall, when the weather is not as hot as in summer.

All 3 are great cities, but I'd rate them:

1. Prague
2. Vienna
3. Munich

That said, you have almost a year to learn more about each city and to decide which one appeals the most for you.

"Also for cities like Munich which are a little more spread out, we don't mind renting a car and driving for day trips and stuff."

You could rent a car if you wish, but it's not necessary because public transport is excellent.

Munich has a logistical advantage of having a direct train from Paris(in less than 6 hours) saving you a flight.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 10:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I would also look at Belguim, quick train from Paris.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 10:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Vienna would be my pick.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
All are great options, but as BDKR mentioned, there is a direct train between Munich and Paris, and continuing on to Vienna. I have taken this route numerous times . . . it was the old Orient Express route. Used to take the night train before it was stopped,

Prague, in my view is the prettiest, but will have unbelievable crowds at that time of year, so long lines to the castle, and the Charles Bridge will be packed unless you get up super early and take a stroll before breakfast. Old Town Square will likewise be very crowded.

Vienna has some beautiful parts, nicely spread out so you don't feel super uncomfortable, and easy to navigate using public transportation (Straßenbahn). Palaces, art museums, music, a wonderful place. You can escape to Grinzing, a little wine village outside the city, or head over to the Prater amusement park and climb aboard the giant ferris wheel (fun to do with or without children).

Munich has a special place in my heart, because I traveled there so often during my backpacking days to collect my monthly check from American Express (long before ATMs!). Loved going to see the clock striking in the Marienplatz at certain times of the day when the Glockenspiel chimes and the figures dance.As touristy the Hofbrauhaus may be, the beer hall and beer are legendary. In fact, it's the only beer I actually enjoy drinking (light and refreshing!). A great day trip would be to Neuschwanstein Castle (I like to think made famous by Walt Disney, who patterned Sleeping Beauty's Castle after this place). Oh, and on a warm summer's day, head to the Englischer Garten, and rent a little boat!
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 11:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but how many days is the trip total?

Don't you need to check which city would work best as far as air options since you want to fly home from there?
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 11:41 AM

I think it depends on your interests. You need to research each and see which is most attractive.

But given it’s July, I would choose Munich. I’ve only been in winter, but I remember thinking it seemed like a city that would be terrific during the summer.

4 days is nothing—you don’t need a car, and I doubt you’ll even want to do a day trip.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 11:41 AM

Just a side note:
Vienna is much larger in size as well as in population than Munich. Almost 2 million vs. 1.5 million.
Nevertheless, a car has no benefit to explore neither city. There are day trips easier done by car than by public transport in either city. But since it will be your first visit, there are enough day trips easily done with public transport.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 12:19 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to Fodor's!

Because as a newbie you're limited as to how many times you can post for the first few days, in your response it would be good to know how long the whole trip will be, and how many days in each of the first two cities, London and Paris.

As it's your first trip to Europe, it would also be useful to know where you're coming from, as jetlag and the effects of time change can have a big impact on how you spend your days, particularly in London as it's your first stop. You don't want to be wandering around like zombies, stepping into the street with traffic coming from the "wrong" side, if you get my meaning.

Frankly, if it was me, I'd probably stay in France for the last four days. If you're foodies, well, hell, it's France for Pete's sake. And for culture, well, ditto. Just as a thought experiment, have a look at Strasbourg. It's around 2 hours from Paris on the train, it's a drop-dead gorgeous, very walkable city, but close to terrific countryside if you want to rent a car for a day or two. And the food in Alsace is just about as good as it gets.

Old Sep 4th, 2019, 01:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I know everyone's different. But unless you already have a week in London and a week in Paris (minimum) whatever "extra" days you have, I would just split them and stay in London and Paris a little longer. Add a "day trip" or two if you really think you've seen everything in each city (highly doubtful!).
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 04:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with suze and Gardyloo. There’s so much to see and do in both London and Paris, with multiple day-trips from both.
Food and culture galore.
Changing cities costs more, creates more need for upfront planning, and takes up valuable vacation time in checking in/out, transit time, etc.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all of the reply's. Our initial city travel plans is listed below.
London Stay: July 11-14
Leave London early July 14 to Paris
Paris Stay: July 14-17
Leave Paris Early Morning July 17th
Munich Stay: July 17th to July 21
Leave Munich: July 21

After reading your reply's and discussing with the other couple we think we will plan to do 5 full days in London and 5 full days in Paris. Get the most of we can out of each city. Now if you guys have any great places to eat or check out, hidden gems, that would be awesome. Thanks so much for the help again. New plan below:

London Stay: July 11-16
Leave London early July 16 to Paris
Paris Stay: July 16-22
Leave Paris Early Morning July 22 back to Nebraska/Japan
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 06:37 PM
kja

Good decision to limit your visits to London and Paris!
Now start consulting a good guidebook or two and read some trip reports on this forum and you'll find a wealth of information you didn't even know to ask.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 06:39 PM

That's really a much better plan, Mikey. It is easy to fill up five days in either city even without day trips. Presume you plan to go from London to Paris via Eurostar train; don't fret over getting the earliest train as it is only just over two hours' ride and you wont be able to check into your Paris hotel until later in the day.

I will note that if you are able to reverse the order of your travel you could be in Paris for << la fête nationale>> (aka Bastille Day) on the 14th.

Is one couple coming from NE and the other from Japan?
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'd reverse the order only because if you reverse the order, you'll be in Paris for Bastille Day, as well as the night before with the Bals in full force. It's pretty special . . . been 5 times!