Reload this Page >

Need help choosing luggage, PLEASE!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Marsha

See message in a day on Lake Como, 3/24/01. We are going to Italy in August and really need help so as not to pack too much of the wrong thing. Thoroughly enjoyed visit in April 1999, but carried tooooo much then, and weather was not so much a concern. <BR> <BR>What luggage is easiest to pack and still the easiest to travel with. Ours is soft sided without wheels and we need to buy how many and what size????

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Rex

I recommend (generally no more than) two bags per person. For the trip TO Europe, couples may wish to mix and match some basics to protect against the bags of one person not arriving, but after that, I suggest that everyone have all of his/her own stuff in his/her own bag. <BR> <BR>The larger of the two bags should not exceed eight POUNDS when empty and should fit into the prescribed overhead space of an airplane (typically 21 x 15 x 8 inches). You can check it if you prefer, though it is nice to always have all your stuff WITH you, and carry it on instead. On some flights, this simply may not be possible, especially withIN Europe. <BR> <BR>The second bag should weigh no more than eight OUNCES when empty, and have no internal structure (i.e., a nylon duffel bag). If one MUST have a third bag, it should meet this same requirement. <BR> <BR>You can have two bags that conform to these two suggested "rules" and still take a ton of stuff. Selecting what to take and packing is another message. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 10:46 AM
elvira

Our rule of thumb is: take no more than you can handle by yourself. That means being able to carry it up a couple of flights of stairs, haul it for at least a 1320, and hoist it over your head. I like luggage that has wheels, at least one outside pocket (NOT for valuables, but for quickly storing a paperback, etc.) and handles on both the top and the side. Your second bag should 'coordinate' with your first bag so that they can be carried together easily: a tote that's small enough to rest on the end of the wheeley bag or has a long enough strap that it can be worn across the chest; if you're main bag is a backpack, your tote should be a front pack. <BR> <BR>As for wardrobe: unless staying at a beach resort, or hiking in the mountains for two weeks, make the bulk of your wardrobe 'middle of the road': lightweight (cotton, linen, silk) slacks and skirts, short-sleeved tops (nice Ts, camp shirts), 2 pairs of comfortable walking shoes. Flesh it out with a couple of pairs of shorts, a tanktop or two, a sundress (look for one that could double as a "little black dress", even if it isn't black), a bathing suit, sandals (jewel-trimmed flipflops can double as 'dressy' shoes). For men, skip the jewelled flipflops; add a short-sleeved silk shirt. For man or woman, a lightweight jacket/blazer for cool evenings and airconditioned restaurants. Don't forget mosquito repellent. <BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Thyra

I have an Eagle Creek rolling back pack that I love LOVE LOVE! It is very well made, sturdy yet light. My spouse bought a similar one, but of lesser quality that exploded in Santorini. It's got inline skate wheels that are of extremely high quality, and padded straps that you can pull out if the wheels aren't working (Venice or any place with cobblestones) Also this bag expands another third of it's size if you unzip around the perameter. <BR>Further it is very well ballanced and doesn't "shimmy" when you pull it around corners like so many others. Often I have been able to use this bag as a carry on, but not always. It also has a hook that you can use to attached a smaller bag (tote size). <BR>I can't recommend this bag highly enough and have used it on 3 trips to Europe, camping and the US as well. <BR>Cost $125.00 in 1998.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Thyra

Opps, my husband's bag that exploded was a different Brand... NOT Eagle Creek. Also forgot to mention I can put 3 weeks worth of clothes and misc. In my bag with no problems,(I roll!)

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Mariarosa

Marsha, <BR>I bought a small Timberland suitcase (22 X 14 X 9) with in-line skating wheels and optional backpack feature at www.sierratradingpost.com that worked really well throughout a 2-week trip to Italy. I was able to roll it most of the time - including rolling it on cobbled streets. Even though it was filled to the max on the way home, it arrived fine, still looking like new. It was small enough that I was able to carry it up and down stairs (most of the hotels we stayed at did NOT have elevators), but big enough that I was able to fit ski clothing and a couple of non-ski clothing sets. <BR> <BR>I also brought one of those bags that fold into themselves, and at the end of the trip I opened it up to bring home souvenirs.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Marty

Marsha: Be careful about the weight of the suitcase itself. I have a great one that I bought at Target. It is fake leather, but looks like the real thing, and it is so much lighter than a similar one I bought at a travel store (don't remember where; I shop a lot!) that was made of canvas or whatever the cloth stuff is that suitcases are made of. The cloth one expands which is nice, but the suitcase itself is so heavy. Even though I pack extremely lightly for travel, the weight of the suitcase makes it impossible for me to carry on some airlines, like BA. I guess it has to many zippers and to much "skeleton" which makes it sturdy, but it is heavy. It is now my husband's suitcase, and I have gone back to my old Target standby!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Donna

We LOVE the "Perfect Fold" bags. You hang them up to pack (layer stuff on regular hangers, no forgetting that slip for the skirt or tie for the shirt). There are pockets for accessories and fold-up stuff. Heavy duty wheels, telescoping handle, outside pockets, strap for attaching tote or carryon.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:01 PM
jan

Marsha, I like a bag with sturdy wheels - the last one I bought was a Pathfinder that I took to Italy last fall. It worked great. Much too big to carry on. I like the Eagle Creek folder type organizers - I don't have to unpack everything to find what I need. Especially great when you are moving aroung a lot. I like a smaller backpack to carry on and then use as a beach or day trip bag throughout the trip. jwg

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:04 PM
brenda

I agree that everyone should be able to handle their own luggage, put a change of clothes/basic toiletries & meds in each other's bags. My 21" bag doesn't have the in-line type of wheels, but that would have been nice on cobbled streets---we made it! I carried a backpack that held my handbag that also made into a backpack. All fit either in the overhead or under the seat since I didn't want my clothes in one country while I went off to another. When we were on-off trains/trams etc, the purse was in the backpack with other items like hand sanitizer, TP, OTC meds, first aide stuff, maps....the misc. stuff. When we were at the B & B or hotel, I left the big backpack and just used my handbag--smaller and more stylish backpack. Traveled for 2 weeks, brought back wine, oil and lots of little trinkets in that bag as well! Took 2 lightweight dresses that drip-dried easily, a pair of black slacks and two or three tops and a pair of shorts. I wore sandals with a cork footbed that were fairly dressy but casual as well and a pair of Nike's I bought there. Wish I'd have taken my lightweight rain coat because even in August, it can be cool and rainy.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 10:31 PM
Marsha

Thank you all sooo much for your help!! I have printed it out and will digest it tomorrow since it is now 1:30 am. My message is now #728 and I worked my way down from #1 since I can't see where to narrow the search even to Italy. Am I missing something?

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Marsha

I am now #79 with no further replies. What do you think of Travelsmith luggage? Also department store advertising 60% off entire stock of Atlantic Professional II Ballistic.<BR><BR>Has anyone used Atlantic? How does it compare with Eagle Creek and Timberland, and how do you find these?<BR><BR>I'm interested in ease of packing, ease of finding what you want, and keeping things in order as well as ease of carrying and the right size.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 08:12 AM
pam

I have a slightly different take on Elvira's good advice to take only what you can carry. I went to Rome &amp; Florence with my mother in early March, and my rule was--both of us should take only what I could carry. She has had hip replacement and used a cane nearly the whole trip. We both took very small (18"-20" rolling softsides), and mine also has backpack straps (Eagle Creek). There were times, though rare, that I did carry her bag, too. <BR><BR>When my husband, son and I travel, the rule is, 2 people have to be able to carrry all the luggage. (I hope) odds are that 2 of 3 in a group won't be hurt at the same time, but 1 of 3 or 1 of 2 could be. Call me paranoid.

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Chris

I just got back from 3 weeks to Italy and my husband and I invested in two eagle creek bags as mentioned above. They cost $248.00 each and were worth every cent. After we got them at REI someone mentioned campmor.com on the web and sure enough they had alot of eagle creek merchandise from last years models including our bags. I think they were about $145.00. At least once a day one of us commented on how much we loved our bags. It's the little things when you're on the road I've found. We left hotels and walked to bus, train and metros just like pros.<BR>Eagle Creek, I love them.

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Jim

I would use a backpack. You don't have to be "backpacking through Europe" to justify using a good quality pack. They are easier on your back, keep your hands free for discouraging pickpockets, and pack just as much if not more than a suitcase. I use an REI brand pack, internal frame. It has a little daypack bag that you can zip off if you don't want to lug around the whole thing.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 04:09 AM
jenny

Have you seen the Swiss Knife brand of rolling back packs. Pricey but that's what I would get if money wasn't an issue.