Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do and where should I stay (cheap w/ parking) in Wurzburg, Germany for one day?

Search

What to do and where should I stay (cheap w/ parking) in Wurzburg, Germany for one day?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Marcy

What are some things I should be sure to do in Wurzburg with my one day there? Any "budget" hotel advice would be welcome, as well.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 03:25 PM
bj thomas

Can't tell you where a cheap place to stay is, but the main attraction in Wurzburg is the Prince Bishop's "Residenz" (has world's largest ceiling painting) and if you get there fairly early (9am ish) they have the biggest parking lot in town & it's like only 2 DM per hour. You can see the Residenz, leave the car there & walk to the other major city attractions. <BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Russ

I stayed at the Barbarossa - very central, very reasonable, clean, comfortable, and a good breakfast. However, I think it lacks parking. Here's a site that should help you find what you're looking for. <BR> <BR>http://www.wuerzburg.de/tourismus/ho...ndex.eng.phtml

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Katie

Take a walk through the old city (leave the train station and go straight, follow the road) Go over the Alte Mainbrücke and climb up to the Festung Marienberg to get an excellent view of the city! Take a tour of the Residenz, go the cathedral and see the crypts, if you want, you could go to Veitshöchheim (you can either take bus 11 or 19 to Kirchplatz and follow the signs) and tour the Roccoco Palace and the grounds. Have an ice cream cone at Benito Eis on Domstrasse, stop in at one the fabulous cafes or backeries and have something to eat. The big attractions really are the Residenz (the gardens are beautiful as is the Hofkirche - a small chapel on the side) and the Museum in the Festung. Have a great time, Würzburg is a beautiful city!

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Georgine

Marcy, <BR> <BR>We stayed in a wonderful village about 3 miles south of Wurzburg on our last trip to the area. The village was very medevial, the B&B had free parking,the rooms were well-appointed and very reasonable, and there were lots of "homey" restaurants for dinner. The village is about 1 km off the A-3 autoroute exit for Wurzburg. <BR> <BR> If staying outside the city is out interest to you, write and I'll get the info for you.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Ralf

it's very good whats Katie writing!<BR>For the evening you should enjoy a "Weinstube" for example the "Stachel". If you are on the other side of the river ther ist the "Käppele", a Rockoko-church with interesting pictures at the small pilgrim chapell.<BR>Maybe a small village outeside in the south will interest you: Sommerhausen.<BR>Have a nice time