Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

need help buying tickets on Alitalia's Italian website!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am trying to buy tickets on Alitalia's Italian website because as everyone else on the boards says, the fares are cheaper on the Italian site than the US site.

Does anyone know how to do this? I've filled everything out as best I could, but when I got to the page for credit card info and address, clicked on the proper credit card symbol I am using, inserted the card number where indicated and inserted the security code and the expiration date. Then I entered my first and last name where indicated. For the "indirizzo" section, I put in my street address. Under "citta", I put in my city. Under "CAP", I tried once and put in my state and I tried again and put in my zip code. (not sure what CAP stands for). I selected USA under "Paese" and I entered my email address as indicated. When I click on "PAGA ORA" to continue the order, I get an error message. It says "Si e verificata una momentanea indisponibilita del servizio di autorizzazione al pagamento: ti invitiamo a priprovare." I typed that into AltaVista's Babel Fish translation and it says something about not being able to authorize the payment and to try again (which I did).

Has anyone purchased tickets on the Italian website? (or are non-Italian residents not allowed to purchase on the Italian website?) What am I doing wrong? Please help!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Your credit card compnay may not be allowing the charge.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:37 AM

annimal - i have been following your other post as i am also trying to plan for travel between praiano and venice. we will be making the trip on oct 16.

i am considering the train from salerno to venice.

which route did you choose?

also, does anyone know if 2- 2nd class tickets from salerno to venice for 125.82E total... is that a sale fare?
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Ellenem- thanks, it looks like that may have been the problem because when I tried using a different card, I the purchase went through -- bear in mind that I had sufficient credit available on the 1st card when I tried the first several times.

Caroldes - We decided last night to fly from Naples to Venice. We had originally planned to drive, thinking that we would drive through the rolling hills of Umbria and be able to see the countryside, but boy was I wrong. The most efficient route was to take the Autostrada all the way from the AC to Venice and it would be at least 8 hours without stopping! Not too fun on the freeway, although I bet my husband would have like to drive over 100 mph for a stretch.

So our next thought was the train, and we debated between Sorrento via Naples to Venice and Salerno to Venice. But of course, we had an issue with our rental car and where to drop it off (Sorrento, Salerno, Naples, etc.). It worked out to be easier for us to rent a car in Rome on the morning we are leaving and drive down to Praiano and return the rental car directly at the Naples airport in order to catch our flight to Venice. This also lets us avoid the Circumvesuviana so we feel a little safer - not that something couldn't happen while we're in the car. (FYI - There are 5 of us plus luggage and while taking trains are fine, taking cabs would require us to take 2 cabs as the likelihood of finding a minivan taxi is slim. Likewise with us trying to get around the AC after bus and hydrofoil hours, we would get stuck having to get 2 cabs and in the long run, it all adds up money-wise.)

Plus, when I looked at train fares from Naples to Venice, it came out to about 82 Euros per person in 1st class (which I would want for such a long ride). Our flight on Alitalia is only 10 Euros more per person, but the travel time difference is over 6 hours! It would have taken between 7 - 7.5 hours on the train from Naples, but it only takes a little over an hour by plane. We decided on the 5:20pm flight from Naples which gives us the morning and early afternoon to enjoy our last few moments on the AC and still make it into Venice in time for dinner. The train from Salerno costs a little more than from Naples and it is about an 8 - 8.5 hour ride. Again, for the price and the travel time difference, it was worth it to fly. (sorry for the lengthy ramble)
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM
ira

Hi caroldes,

The standard 2cl fare is 64.67E pp.

However, if you buy a ticket on the ES* to Bologna you can go 1 cl for 29E.

Bologna to Venice San Lucia is 18E.