Need Help 5-6 night Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need suggestions, for a 5 or 6 night trip. A must see are the Cliffs of Moher, looking at Southern Ireland, arriving and departing Dublin. Willing to consider tours,trains and rental car options. Just 2 people, early 40's.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:24 AM

Are you committed to both arriving in and departing from Dublin? If you could arrive in Dublin and depart from Shannon (or vice versa), you'll have more time to see the south, southwest, or west. Definitely rent a car.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

I am willing to fly to Shannon from Dublin or vice/versa if that helps. Looks faster than the rail
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:17 PM

What I meant was flying open jaw. For example, home-Dublin, then Shannon-home (or vice versa). The cost is usually comparable to a standard roundtrip ticket. Doing this means you don't have to cross the country twice. Train service in Ireland is fairly limited, especially in the west. Buses cover more areas, but renting a car is the best way to see the coast and out-of-the-way small towns.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM

My suggestion would be rent car Dublin and drive south to Kinsale.One night and then 1 night in Kenmare.Then two nights in Dingle Town,drive to Galway 2 night.Then back tio Dublin which is about 140Km or 2 and one half hrs.Research what looks good between Dublin and Kinsale and also between Kinsale and Kenmare.From Kenmare the ring of Kerry is a nice ride although I feel the Dingle Peninsula is better.Galway is very nice.We made this trip and loved it.If interetsed I could give you the places we stayed and things we did.sincerely jack
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

That would be great, lodging is definetly next on my list.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:51 AM

You haven't said whether or not flying open jaw would work for you. Will it? How much time do you want to spend in Dublin?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, flights already booked RT in/out of Dublin....plus I am thinking of going to Edinburgh at the end of Ireland for 3 nights
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 09:11 AM

Here's another itinerary for your consideration.

Day 1 - Arrive in Dublin. Visit Trinity College (Book of Kells) and anything else you must see before jet lag claims you. Early to bed in Dublin.

Day 2 - Drive to Kilkenny. Then decide whether to drive to Kinsale via Waterford or Cashel. Overnight in Kinsale.

Day 3- Drive to Dingle via Bantry, Kenmare, Killarney, and Tralee. (While I like tune's idea of one night in Kenmare, you may not have enough time for that.) If it's a clear day, drive from Tralee to Dingle over Connor Pass. Overnight in Dingle.

Day 4 - Tour Slea Head and as much of the rest of the Dingle Peninsula as time allows. Overnight in Dingle.

Day 5 - If it's a clear day and you didn't get to drive over Connnor Pass before, do it now as you drive to Tralee and then to Tarbert (ferry across the Shannon River). Two choices: (1) Drive to Ennis, then through the Burren, and on to Galway. (2) Drive the coast road via Kilkee, Milltown, etc. to the Cliffs of Moher and then on to Galway. Spend the night in Galway.

Day 6 - Depending upon which route you took yesterday, tour the areas you didn't get to see. Drive to Dublin. Spend the night and then fly out the next day.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:29 AM

Shelby Im sorry but my post got a new title. Also for you consideration near Dublin airport is the town of Trim.There is a very neat attraction there called New Grange(BrunaBooine)It is a 3500 year old tomb.From there it is a easy drive to Dublin airport.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:48 AM

this would hit some of our favorites...

first night in dublin...hop on/off tour (we toured Guinness, Kilmainham Gaol, and Book of Kells)try one of the pub crawls, fun, not out late but get a taste of Dublin.

pick up rental and stay in cashel-view Rock of Cashel, depending on time of year you could see show at Bru Boru Heritage Centre(depending on interests, options of sights on way-Glendalough, Kilkenney Castle,Jerpoint Abbey and Cahir Castle and Swiss Cottage on way in or out)

on to Killarney for 2 nights(options: ROK-IMHO best part is the park between Killarney and Kenmare...the Lakes, Muckross House/Abbey, Ross Castle, side trip to Dingle/Slea Head Loop-if you want to be on the move...could do 1 night Killarney/1 Dingle, also could tour Gap of Dunloe...didn't do/on our June itinerary)

1 night Doolin -Cliffs of Moher (options-Bunratty, Burren)

last night outside of Dublin (on way could stop at Clonmacnoise, Newgrange, Hill of Tara/or other Boyne River Valley Sight)