Need for a car on the Cote d'Azur???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next May/June we'll be in Provence (Isle-sur-la-Sorgue) for a week and will definitely have a rental car for lots of trips throughout Provence. The following week we will be in an apartment in St. Jean Cap Ferrat. Originally I'd planned on dropping off the rental car when we got to our apartment on the Cote d'Azur, but the apartment owner (actually from Detroit but works half-year in France) suggested that we keep the car.

I know (only from reading threads here and elsewhere) that it's "easy" to go to virtually all the coastal cities/towns by train. It's more difficult to get to the "interior" towns (e.g., St. Paul de Vence, Eze, Grasse) and we'd have to get buses and/or cabs.

What say my fine Fodor's friends? Is it worth the hassle and cost to keep the car, or does the hassle of trains and buses make the car a good thing?

One other factor to consider I guess - our flight home (from Nice) is at 6:45 am on a Saturday morning. Will we be able to drop off the rental car early enough in the morning so that we're checked in early enough at the Nice airport for our flight?

Thanks in advance for your help!

KC
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:29 AM

I'd suggest keeping the car as you seem to think buses and trains would be a hassle - to me they are not but it's the individual outlook.

I like buses to towns like Eze, St P Vence for one thing because they're dirt cheap and run frequent schedules and there is no parking hassle - no long trek from the car park to the town centre.

Grasse is a snap to get to by train (via Cannes) right into this sweet-smelling town

The Detroit guy is no doubt like most Detroiters and Americans wed to a car - having no viable public transit back home.

Trains and buses are easy, cheap and frequent but most Americans will still find them a 'hassle' and thus should keep the car.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response PalenQ. I'm actually not that fond of driving when a reasonable option is to train or bus (but I think having a car in Provence is probably essential). And I can enjoy taking trains (haven't taken buses in Europe) - more relaxing, I can watch the scenery instead of the road, don't have to worry about parking (as you point out) or buying gasoline, ad infinitum.

As far as getting to the airport in Nice from our apartment in St. Jean Cap Ferrat for our early morning flight is concerned, perhaps simply arrange a taxi (actually two taxis since "we" are two couples with 3-weeks worth of luggage.

KC
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Having traveled the area several times with a car and without a car, I much preferred without. Traffic and parking are a lot more hassle to me than taking trains or busses.

Of course, there is an alternative. Since you'll already have the car you could always keep the car for a day or two of your week in Cap Ferrat and use it for the more distant or inland trips, then turn it in at the Nice airport and do without for the rest of your stay.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Yes in Provence have a car - public transit is there but not nearly as comprehensive or easy

My favorite Nice day trip

train to Cap d'Ail station, about 20 mins east of Nice, then from the seaside station walk along flat well paved paths about two miles to Monaco, see that Mouse That Roared Principality then train back to Nice. (Investigate day regional passes and compare to regular fare)

Anyway this walk shows you the signature Cote d'Azur scapes sketched in your mind's eye but which you rarely encounter these days along a largely built up coast.

The pass is isolated from any roads and goes along a pristine stretch of coast, with ubiquitous cypress trees improbably anchoring themselves to the rocky coast.

And the water is a deep clear azure-hued.

There are isolated swimming holes - you may well see folks skinny dipping so don't be shy.

Anyway this is a gorgeous stretch of coast and an easy stroll. Bring a picnic, etc.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Agree with car.

Also, Capitaine Cook is solid food in St. Jean Cap Ferrat
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 08:58 AM

And if you want to incorporate Eze into the walk i described above - buses from Monaco to Nice go via Eze, taking the dramatic corniche or cliff road there - stop here for an hour (more than enough IMO) and head onto Nice or descend the Philosopher's Path which plunges from Eze to its seaside train station many feet below - Neitszke (sp) often walked this path up and down to Eze thus it's nickname