need ferry info to Lesvos Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to follow Matt's guide to Greece and because of his high recommendation we are thinking of Lesvos...for mid June. Problem is that I can't find good information on the cost of the ferry from the port of Athens to Lesvos. I am interested in a cabin for 3....but it seemed expensive around 50 euros each person (for a family of 3 that's 150) each way. Flying also seemed expensive about $130 (US) from Athens each way. Do these figures seem right. Is there a less expensive option on the ferry....other than deck.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 10:21 AM

The main operator is NEL Lines (www.nel.gr). The basic fare from Pireas to Lesvos seems to be 26.20 euros which hardly seems expensive to me. The two main ships are the MYTILINI and THEOFILOS which are good overnight ships. The company also has the TAXIARCHIS which is very basic and best avoided. Bear in mind that if you travel overnight, you'll save a night in a hotel.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Ferry prices are essentially fixed, cabins,first class cost more as also do the hi-speed vessels. Greek ferries are cheap if you consider the distances involved. The figures you are quoting seem right.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Lesvos is a long ferry ride from Athens. You waste a day+ of your vacation. Don't know the current cost of flights but we went two years ago for 143 Euros each(45 minutes and your there).
The other thing that sticks in my mind is the size of Lesvos. We rented a car for the week and it was money well spent. Saw most of the island and it allowed us the option to explore on our own time.
The traffic and roads in the port area were the worst I've experienced in Greece, with the exception of Athens and we won't drive there.
The other thing missing were restaurants in the port area, plenty of bars but not a decent place to eat.
I know it sounds bad but I'd go back. The drives through the back country were beautiful. We also found some nice beaches and some great villages.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Those prices sound about right.. i'm not sure if you're up to this - but on Theofilos for instance - there is ample carpeted areas inside all over the ship in which people are more than welcomed to stretch out with a blanket and sleep for the night (its common for families to do this as well)- in which case the fair should be around 26 euro each.I've done this on several occassions as I've been back and forth between Lesvos numerous times.

I dont mind taking the ferry to Lesvos -though it is indeed quite long but since it departs usually around 7 pm and it arrives very early at Mytilini (around 7 or 8 am) its not too bad of a trip as most of it can be spent sleeping and you arrive at very decent time.

Flying for a family of 3 can be very expensive if you're on a budget - which can cost about $500.00 USD roundtrip - $500.00 that could be spent on other things. Not to mention if you do fly- you're have to pay for transportation to/from the airport in addition to getting a hotel the night before etc. - so shelling out 50 euro a person is not bad at all because keep in mind - its an overnight ferry and therefore thats one less night at a hotel you'd be paying for as well.

Anyhow, have a great trip - Lesvos is beautiful!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Michigan, I am considering spending 2 weeks on Lesvos in September 2005(1 week in Molyvos and 1 week in Vatera)-will rent a car-is this too long do you think. Also I will get the ferry there from Ayvilik in Turkey. Does that ferry run every day and do you know the cost.