Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Dining Reservations in Scotland in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2023, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am deep into planning a trip to the Scottish Islands for May 19-31. I've made reservations at B&Bs in the Orkneys, Isle of Lewis, and Skye. All 3 of those places sent me emails saying it's hard to find dining at that time of year and I should be making reservations. Is that true? Would that apply to just actual restaurants or should we be able to walk into a pub between 5 and 6 pm and get a table? We're really more pub-type of people than fine dining but we do still want to be able to get a table. I know we eat earlier than is typical in Scotland so I was hoping we wouldn't really need reservations since it's impossible to tell exactly where we'll be at dinner time on any given day. On the other hand, from what I saw of accommodations being all booked up it wouldn't surprise me to find out I won't be able to eat without a reservations. We had no problem dining when we were in Scotland in 2005 but we weren't in the Islands and, of course, things are different now.

I suppose I could go ahead and make reservations and cancel them later if need be. Seems like a lot of hassle and bookkeeping to try and keep track of them all so if it isn't necessary I'd rather not do that.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice from people who know the area. Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 01:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd listen to the locals - they know what they are talking about. I'd be booking for most dinners -- you don't need to book far ahead in most places but definitely a few days in advance. There is sort of a perfect storm affecting 'free and easy' dining.

•• There are bank holidays in May so more travelers than some other times •• Restaurants and pubs are having a hard time hiring and keeping kitchen and wait staff so operating hours may be affected day-to-day •• Same as in the States the supply chain has still not returned to normal so venues often don't have the normal quantity / amount of product. They run out -- they'll close for the evening.

The hospitality industry in these very rural areas have been affected even more than in major cities (which is a LOT). So booking ahead is good for both you and the restaurant -- you know there will be something to eat and the chef will be able to plan for the number of covers. I'd also be asking the B&B's for recommendations.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am following along on this thread even though I have my own thread about restaurants. I was hoping we wouldn't need advance reservations for every destination or for pubs but looks like I am wrong about that. But good to know that in most places a few days advance notice is all that is necessary. We will be in Scotland from May 30 to June 15.