Need car travel advice from Geneva to Berner Oberland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

W will be travelling by car from Geneva to Berner Oberland and wondered if anyone had any advice about the best route to take. I have travel directions from viamichelin, but was wondering if anyone has any personal advice? We would love to see something along the way (maybe a 2 hour visit)to Bern or Lake Thun? Any opinions? Thanks so much!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Are you absolutely determined to drive? What parts of the Berner Oberland are you planning to visit?
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Hi Nancy45,

Not sure which route you're planning to take, but I recommend you go via Gstaad & Zweisimmen, and that you consider stopping in Chateau d'Oex or Gstaad.

If you really want to go all the way to Lake Thun, I recommend you stop at Spiez, not Thun, as Thun is such a big city . . .

s
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Thun is such a big city? Which Thun is this - it's a very small town. Not a hamlet like some of the places high in the mountains - but a small town nevertheless.

I think the question is - where exactly - what town - are you going to? And what are your interests - so people might make suggestions about what to do see.

We loved Monreaux/Chillion Castle

Also loved Gruyere

And Thun - and a bunch of other places

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Without getting into an argument over whether Thun is a big city or small city, I probably would prefer to stay in Spiez over Thun.

Spiez is a more relaxed place, very scenic and it is pretty much in the middle of the coast between Thun and Interlaken, thus offers easy access by boat, train or car to either town and the many options for sighseeing past Interlaken - - Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Muerren etc.

That assumes, that you are set on staying in the Thuner See (Lake Thun ) area. For visiting the Berner Oberland, staying in one of the towns and villages mentioned above would be a better choice.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:44 AM

For nytraveler,

I've discovered over the last few years that I travel primarily to zone-out in the country. So the day that I day-tripped to Thun, I didn't like the traffic snarls down the main road, the folks pulsing down the sidewalk, the construction, the noise, etc. It just struck me as a city. My Michelin Green Gude, almost 10 years old, lists the population at 38,000.

s
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:50 AM

I really wish Nancy45 would answer some of the questions so we could offer helpful advice.

The reason I asked about the car and where in the BO she/they want to visit is, of course, related to accessibility by automobile.

But here we are left with no feedback...some days it makes me honestly wonder if it is worth it (sorry, but that's the way I feel about it)
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Sorry that I have not replied back sooner! Please don't give up on me! Thank you all for your advice and your interest in helping me. We are actually driving from Geneva to Kandersteg where we will spend two nights before driving to Lucerne. As we are a family of 6 this factored out cheaper than the train and we have some flexibility.

We would like to visit somewhere on our way to Kandersteg since we would arrive around 5:30 p.m. when the day activities are done. I thought we might be able to visit another town on the way to Kandersteg. Gruyere sounds interesting.

We plan to spend one entire day in Kandersteg and then maybe spend a half day at Trummelbach Falls before driving onto Lucerne.

I wish we had more time in Berner Oberland, but hope to return again soon. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

I guess everyone has given up! Please don't! Let me know if you have any travel advice. Thanks.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM

With the limited time, and a goal of activity around Kandersteg, I suggest driving to Kandersteg bh the quickest route. To get there without wide deviations, take the motorway as fas as Sion and head toward Goppenstein.
Take the train ferry through the Lötschberg Tunnel to Kandersteg.

This route saves a round about way or a slow way, which the route via Gstadd is.

Once in Kandersteg, the most scenic place easily reached is the Öeschinen See. You ride up on a lift if you wish, and walk about a mile to the edge of the lake. The lake itself is beautiful with towering cliffs rising seemingly straight up on the south side of the lake.

If you want to see the Thuner See, then Spiez is north along the only road out of the Kandertal.

If you are in fact going to the Berner Oberland, is there any reason why you are not going to the most spectacular part, which is viewable from Mürren and Wengen and from even closer at the rail stop of Kleine Scheidegg?

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry I am not familiar with all your locations, since I always stay in one place in Switzerland (Vevey and Montreux). But since you are starting in Geneva, I'll toss these ideas out.

The castle at Gruyere is very cool. It's not a way old one (~1500-ish I think) and it fully furnished in period pieces. Have a meat and cheese board lunch at one of the cafes in the village.

The castle outside Montreux called Chateau de Chillon is fantastic. It is way OLD (~900 or 1100-ish?). It sits right on the lake and is set up for self-guided walking tours. It is not furnished but there are samples of dishes, household items, suits of chain metal armour, etc.

If you happen to be driving thru on any of these days stop and buy stuff at the local open air farmers markets. They are wonderful... I know Vevey has one on Tuesday AM and Saturday AM, and Montreux is on Friday AM.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:19 PM

It's your choice, but I would suggest you recheck your information on travel costs.

First, I think rental cars that will carry six, with luggage, are very rare, so you may end up having to get two cars. Fuel costs are shockingly high, and parking is limited and expensive.

If some in your family of six are children, they may be able to ride the trains without cost, if you travel as a group. I am biased toward public transportation, because I am the driver in our family, which means I have to watch the narrow road while everyone else gets to enjoy the scenery. Swiss public transporations is scenic, rapid, unbelievably coordinated, and clean and comfortable. When we get somewhere where we want to do a little more exploration than just hiking, we rent bicycles at the train station.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Swandav -

Well - the day we were there is wasn't crowded - and it was in June. Perhaps you were there when it was mobbed with tourists. But in any case - 38,000 people is a small town - not a city of any kind.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. We are travelling to Kandersteg because that is where the International Scout Centre is and we are looking forward to meeting scouts from all over the world and also getting a taste of the Swiss alps.

Also, I didn't realize we would need to take a rail car to get to Kandersteg, but of course we want to get there as quickly as possible. The map directions I got from via Michelin did not mention the rail car -- but I will need to check that more closely.

It seems since we will be limited on time while we are there that a car would be more useful to us then conforming to train schedules. We'll only spend two nights in Kandersteg and one in Luzern before heading to Germany.

The car costs us about $100 a day plus gas -- that would be $300 plus gas and I didn't think 6 of us (2 children under 16) could travel by rail cheaper to these destinations or could we???? We definitely need a car once in Germany.

Thanks for your kind replies.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM

A Swiss Saverpass, second class (which will give clean comfortable seating) for 4 days is $153 each, or $612, as you would not need them for children under 16 (you would need a family pass for the kids, which is free). That would give you unlimited train, boat, and bus access for 4 days. That pass gives a discount on some of the private rail lines and cable cars, but it sounds like you will not be going on them.

I've not driven in Switzerland, so I can't estimate your fuel costs, but I know they can be quite steep, as can parking, if you can find a place.

There may be a better train deal (possibly half-fare cards), but checking out all the possibilities can be exhausting. I just went to RailEurope and the Swiss transfer ticket at $88 per adult would get you from Geneva to Kandersteg and from Kandersteg to Luzern, but would not cover any other intervening train travel.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Fuel was approx. 1.50 sfr/1 liter at the end of May 2005.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Coming back to the train ferry through the Lötschberg tunnel to Kandersteg, it is no big deal.

Coming from the direction of Lausanne, you turn north off the Rhone valley highway east of Sierre and Sion and follow the signs to Goppenstein. There you pay your fee, drive your car onto a rail car, set the brake, and ride under the mountain.

No big deal. I have done it several times. In about 20 minutes after the train starts you are in Kandersteg.

If you have a car, as I did in late June, you are paying for convenience and mobility. It is worth it in many respects because you can come and go as you please in a manner that trains and buses cannot quite equal.

For example, one morning in Lauterbrunnen, we decided to drive to the Rhine Falls near Schaffhausen and return via Luzern. No biggie.

Then one day we drove to the top of the Grimsel pass, took a walk in the snow, saw the views, and descended to Brig. From there we continued on through Visp to Goppenstein and onto the train ferry.
From Kandersteg we drove via Spiez back to Lauterbrunnen.

Yes, it is possible to traverse the same routes via trains and buses, but not as quickly and at our behest. It all depends on what you want to pay for and what you want to see.

But the car ferry on a rail car is a quick and easy way to get from the Rhone Valley to the Kander Valley. Otherwise, you take a route well around the target.

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all again for your help. We are excited about seeing Switzerland via car even though it will be more expensive than the train.

Does anyone know how much time it saves to go by the car train versus driving to Kandersteg? Also, would we be missing a scenic part of the drive to go through the mountain?

One more question, does anyone know a chain of grocery stores in Switzerland? We were hoping to stop in Geneva and pick up food supplies. We will arrive on a Sunday around 2:30 p.m.

Thanks again for your kindly advice!!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Hi Nancy45,

The site www.mappy.com can answer your question. I just did a quick comparison, and it shows the car-train route takes 2h07 while the route via Spiez takes 2h28. As an aside, if you decided to go via Berne & Spiez, you could also make the stop in Gruyeres that you mentioned earlier.

Two huge grocery stores in Switzerland are Migros & Coop.

s
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Nancy,

you don't need to take the rail car to Kandersteg. I personally did not like the drive from Lake Geneva's end through the Rhone valley up to Sion/Visp. It is pretty much a boring drive (if you don't stop in the villages/vineyards) and the views are often industrial areas on the valley floor and not so scenic mountains above.

I suggest you drive Geneva - Lausanne - Vevey along the lake shore (road, not motorway, scenic) from there turn north towards Bulle and then turn right to Gruyeres. Depending on the time frame you could visit castle Gruyere - and continue via Gstaad - Zweisimmen - Spiez - Frutigen - Kandersteg, which is the "mountain route" with scenic views, green pastures, picturesque villages - just like you imagine Switzerland. Or, if you are tight on time, take the motorway via Fribourg, Bern, Spiez and there take the road to Kandersteg.

I.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -