Need B&B advice for Kilkenny, in town, will not have a car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to find a B&B or cosy hotel in Kilkenny in the main part of town since we will not have a car. Prefer to not spend more than 60-70 euro per night for a double room (will be there in the low season during February). Would like to stay within a 5 minute walk from the castle and/or cathedral. I've read great reviews on Trip Advisor but it seems that most places recommended are by people who are driving and the places are not in the center of town.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 01:22 PM

I don't have any but try the ones listed at website below

http://www.irelandexpert.com/kilkenn...ite_places.htm
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I've already checked everything listed on Pat's website but they are either too expensive or not in the main part of town.

I've looked at dozens of websites but if anyone has personal recommendations I'd love to hear them.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:31 PM

vinolover, I think your price range may be a bit optimistic for close-in accommodation in Kilkenny. If you were to change your options to perhaps a 10-15 minute walk to town you might get better results. Or increase the amount you can pay. I am assuming you want to pay 30-35 euro per person? That is on the low side. Or you could try a hostel.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Irish Eyes. Yes, I was hoping to spend no more than 35 euro per person per night. From my research it seems that would be possible for low season during February. I did find places a short walk from the main part of town in the 28-32 pp range. I was hoping to find something right in town for that price.

We'll probably just hit town and start knocking on doors but I hoped to have a few recommendations to narrow the field.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Have you tried Cnoc Mhuire Bed & Breakfast? http://www.cnocmhuire.com
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Have you taken a look at Alcantra? We stayed there in Oct. and found it very convenient. It's about a 5 - 10 minute walk to the center of the town (depending on how fast you walk!). Although we had a car, we preferred to walk into town during the day (to avoid the hassle of finding parking). You can get to the castle in less than 10 minutes on foot. It's a great little B&B -- very clean, lovely rooms, delicious breakfasts and the owners, Liam and Bridget are delightful. If I recall, it was around 30 euros per night per person. Excellent value for what you get!
http://homepage.eircom.net/~alcantra/Alcantra.htm
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:56 AM

I was in Kilkenny in October of 2004 and we paid 30-40 for a room above the cafe called "Billy Can" It is on the main road from the train station to the castle. It isn't fancy, but it was clean and maybe a 10 minute walk to the castle. We just popped our head in during the day, and they had room.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:56 AM

I was in Kilkenny in October of 2004 and we paid 30-40 per person for a room above the cafe called "Billy Can" It is on the main road from the train station to the castle. It isn't fancy, but it was clean and maybe a 10 minute walk to the castle. We just popped our head in during the day, and they had room.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 06:34 PM

I stayed at the Bregagh Guesthouse in April '04. This is a _very_ centrally located clean B&B with comfy beds. It is across the street from St. Canice's cathredal, spitting distance from Parliament street and its great pubs and restaurants. It was cheap, in your price range I think. Lonely Planet lists it at 40-80 Euros per night. I think this is the only B&B I actually had to phone to make a reservation. But I was like you, I wanted some place very central, so it was worth it. The day I walked from the castle to the B&B, it was 5-7 minutes. I think there are more good pubs and restaurants near the B&B, not the castle anyway. Phone 772-2315. I will say, if you like hostels, the Kilkenny Tourist Hostel had a great location on the main street, Parliment. The guidebooks say it is friendly, clean, and it certainly is central.