Reload this Page >

Need Athens hotel recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Marilou

We will be in Athens a couple of nights in March prior to taking a cruise and cannot find much good information on accommodations there. We've been told to stay in the Plaka but selections there seem to be not very good. Anyone have a recommendation? Would another location be better than the Plaka area?

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 11:22 PM
April

You're right about the limited selection in the Plaka. If I were to go back I think I might look into the Electra Palace. There was a modern-style hotel across from the park by Syntagma Square that didn't look bad (although the people in the restaurant didn't seem very friendly) but I can't remember its name.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:42 AM
barbara

we also stayed at Electra Palace and it was lovely with an amazing view of the city, Acropolis, from the rooftop pool. Definitely would recommend it.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:52 AM
tom

Stayed at the Electra Palace last August, I'd stay there again. <BR> <BR>Modern hotel, lovely rooftop views of Acropolis. Good central location, easy walk to most of the key monuments & archaeological sites (except the National Museum). Reasonably quiet on upper floors (it's a few blocks away from the noisy major boulevards & Syntgama Square). Some non-smoking rooms available. <BR> <BR>In August, Acroplis view rooms w/ balcony were being "rationed" to 1-2 days per guest; I didn't want to hassle with a room change during my 5 day stay. Shouldn't be a problem in March. <BR> <BR>Front Desk staff was friendly & helpful (but agree that restaurant staff was a bit gruff in morning).

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 07:11 AM
doc

A few years ago we stayed at the Park Hotel on Alexandras St. opposite a large park. The hotel is very near the Archaeological Museum and a subway station. Check the following web site: www.globo.gr/park-hotel.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Melody

We stayed at St. George Lycabettus last summer. It is located in a residential area at the foot of Mt. Lycabettus. We walked or took taxis (cheap) everywhere. The room was very nice, staff helpful... we would stay there again. Take a look at their website.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Patrick

Another vote for the Electra Palace. It was wonderful. Also a great included breakfast with superb FRESH SQUEEZED orange juice. The view from the roof is magical, especially at night.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:28 PM
tom h

I'd like to add, don't confuse the "Electra PALACE" with the just plain "Electra" hotel (same management, separate hotels). <BR> <BR>The Electra is on a main street just off Syntagma, noisy location (at least outside), and doesn't have the Acropolis views nor the rickety charm of the Plaka neighborhood.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Marilou

I appreciate the recommendations and have made our reservations at the Electra Palace. They will also arrange for our pickup at the airport, which pleased me. Thanks for your help.