need advice on where to go Jan - Jun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2013, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking our family to Europe for 6 months (we're from Canada) and because of the Schengen have to be in the UK for 3 of those months. We totally realize that Jan - March is still winter and are fully prepared to deal with lower temps. Our problem is trying to figure out how to plan the trip. Should we start in the UK (knowing that ti would be bitter cold and rainy) but then end with 3 months on the continent of Europe? France, Italy, Holland, etc would all be so beautiful then. So do we deal with the bitter cold of the UK in order to have the best of the other? Or do we start in Italy, Greece Spain or wherever has the mildest (although realizing not beach weather) temps and end in the UK where we would have nicer temps. But wondering if we will regret having mediocre weather for the Western Europe portion. Any advice? Again, fully realizing that no weather will be amazing in Jan/Feb just wondering what route might be best?
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 08:28 AM

Personally I would stay as far south as possible and work north ending in GB. If you start in the north all you are doing is chasing bad weather south.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 09:04 AM

fmpden
i think it is the other way around....Jan - end of March there will be cold weather in the South of Europe as well.
Starting with the South and moving up North will end up with bad weather everywhere.

I think it would be better to save Southern Europe for the second half, where the weather will be excellent and there might even be beach weather in June
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 09:14 AM

Why not divide your non-Schengen months between the UK and countries that are not members? Start in the UK then fly to Cyprus in March. From Cyprus you can go to Turkey, and then enter Greece to begin your time in the Schengen zone, making your way westward until your 6 months is finished.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 09:34 AM

<i>need advice on where to go Jan - Jun
Posted by: sarasota on Aug 31, 13 at 12:13pm
Should we start in the UK (knowing that ti would be bitter cold and rainy)</i>

I don't think it ever gets bitter cold in England, or even Scotland. But it does rain the year round. Thank the Gulf Stream for both conditions.

England is blooming and beautiful in May. Same for Holland. Visit Keukenhof. The Mediterranean area is basically shirt sleeve to light windbreaker in the winter, and there are virtually no tourists about.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 09:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd personally want to be in the UK in May and June. You could have anything from nasty to FABULOUS weather, whereas in Italy/Spain/etc by June it is getting uncomfortably hot.

Plus the days are very VERY long in England/Scotland in June - not dark til 10:30 or 11 PM depending on how far north you go. The UK is bloom in June - and other months too - but just about everything blooms by late May/June.

I'd start south and move north myself.

And no, except for rare times - it does not get bitterly cold in most parts of the UK. It has a very temperate climate - seldom very cold and seldom very hot. Wet - yes --- but again except for semi-unusual occurrences, not long periods of heavy rain. The rain every few days is WHY the gardens are so glorious.

June is my very favorite month in England.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 10:13 AM

first of all - if you're from canada you are used to much colder weather than you will find in most of euope. england is not typically bitter in winter. it can be in places at times - but is generally much milder than canada.

i would to start in the south - where winter temps my be in the 50 - or even 60 and move north as the weather warms
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 10:52 AM

<i>I'd personally want to be in the UK in May and June.</i>

Funny that, I live in England but usually go Greece in May and June. It doesn't get really hot in Greece until the middle of June — in May the temperatures are mostly in the 70s. Truth is, everywhere in Europe from January through March the weather will be cool to cold and possibly rainy. Greece and Spain even have ski resorts in the mountains, while the weather is too mild for that in England.

The UK has lots of things to do indoors — shopping, museums, art galleries, theatre, etc, and winter is a perfect time for those things. Southern Europe is best saved for spring and summer, when you can sit in outdoor cafes, go to the beach, and enjoy the sunshine.

Personally I see no point in chasing mediocre weather throughout your trip in Europe. You haven't stated your interests, or what you wish to do. Are you planning to move around the whole time, or base your self in a few different locations?
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

We are pulling our kids out of school (ages 10, 7, 5 and 1) and just touring thru the country. We want to be visitors, not so much tourists, so our hope is to stay in smaller towns and visit the big cities, but really try to get a sense of what European life is like in each place we stay. Hoping to stay for 3 weeks in each place. Rent a house and just live (as much as we can obviously) like a local.

Thanks for all your thoughts! This is so helpful!
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 12:40 PM

My guess is, your kids will really enjoy swimming in the Mediterranean, but it will be too cold to do that until May.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 02:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think it ever gets bitter cold in England, or even Scotland. But it does rain the year round. Thank the Gulf Stream for both conditions.>>

the gulf stream only really affects the west coast, not the middle of the country or the east coast.

the last few years, we've had snow and ice in spades - certainly enough to be classed as cold and bitter. other years winter has been relatively mild, but you can't count on its definitely being so.

Many people who can go to places like Cyprus and Malta in the UK winter, and both/either could make great places to spend an early month or so of your trip. Then move up to the UK when the weather's a bit nicer, and work your way south once your Schengen months kick in.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 04:43 PM

have been in southen spain twice in late April and it was definitely pool/beach weathr both times - temps were high 80s. If beach is a big deal that is probably the earliest you will find it anywhere.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 03:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd start in Morocco, Cyprus then work my way into Portugal and Spain on the coast, (these will be quiet but pleasant with rain every so often. Once you are through the worst of February you really just need to worry about rain rather than snow (and the snow stops the whole country in UK even if it looks like icing sugar to you) so UK next (for spring and daffodils) then across into the Pays Bas and Germany before France and Italy.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 03:39 AM

If you start in southern Italy or Greece in Jan you will find much of the place is closed up (as the natives find it cold even if you don't) and you will have a dull time, while the Iberian Penisula is more used to year around holiday makers. Even so Madrid will be cold so avoid the central massif of Spain.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 05:35 AM

I don't know about "year around holiday makers", but you will find a large number of elderly Brits wintering in Spain, hoping to make their pensions stretch a little further.

Start in the south and work your way north, as many have suggested, will guarantee you indifferent weather for most of your stay in Europe. I would rather start in the north, where the winter will be warmer than Canada, and finish up with southern Europe in May - June, just as summer is beginning. This is the best time to be in Greece, Italy and Spain, because weather is glorious but it won't be crowded. Most Europeans don't take their summer holidays until July or August.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 03:07 AM

We have a similar dilemma as we are considering renting our house out for the winter season (we live in Florida) and then we would travel January through May. I'm thinking of all kinds of different options so thought I'd give you some of the ideas I've come up with just in case they help.

We're thinking we'll start in Thailand in January (which I know won't be an option for you) spending a month there then fly to London where we would stay a couple weeks in England. By this time it should be late February and one thought is to fly to Porto, Portugal for a few days then on to Lisbon and rent an apartment for the month of March. On April 1 move on to Seville and work our way to Barcelona, Costa Bravo, southern France, ending in Nice. By that time it should be mid May and we'd be right up to the 90 day limit so we would fly back to London and stay in England for a week or so.

I have a lot of different scenarios brewing in my head and the above is just one, but thought maybe it would help. Have also thought about Morrocco for part of the non Schengen stay. Another country that isn't in the Schengen zone is Croatia - it should be lovely there in June.

Hope this helps! I'm curious to see if you get more ideas.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 05:32 AM

No one can predict the weather, of course, but we enjoyed lovely weather in Cyprus last January (50-60's F day time), in fact they call mid-late January the Halcyon days (Greek legend, of course, you can Google it). January is typically sunnier and nicer than February here. Blooming citrus, early wildflowers and few crowds. Archaeological sites are all open, albeit with shortened hours, but much more pleasant than in the heat of summer. I would advise staying in Pathos, Larnaca, Nicosia or Lemossos rather than Ayia Napa, which is pretty much closed up til summer.If you want to fly on to Turkey from here you will have to go out of the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus, which I have not done, so can't advise you on. Or fly to Athens and on from there. Ryan Air has cheap flights from Pathos.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 05:45 AM

You think the Uk will be bitter and cold, wait until you get to The Netherlands at that time of year.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 06:53 AM

Anybody from Canada has a more extreme idea of bitter cold than anything seen in England or the Netherlands.

To the OP, for the kind of trip you're planning, less time in the cities, more time in the countryside, you really want better weather. I'd start in the south and work your way north.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:31 AM

Well I find Canada gets cold below -10C but the Uk below +5C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -