Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advice on hotels/tours in Florence and Italian Riveria.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 4 (3 adults/1 child) is travelling to Venice/Florence/Riveria in August. Please recommend some hotels in Florence and Riveria that are comfortable for all four in a room or 2 rooms within US$400 budget.

Any opinions on the Lugarno hotel group: Hotel Lugarno, Lugarno Suites, Gallery Hotel Art, Hotel Continentale; and Hotel Plaza Lucchesi?? I'm concerned about location since we'll have a stroller and I'm leaning towards Lugarno Suites since they have a kitchenette.

In the Riveria, I've only researched Cenobio Dei Dogi Hotel and Gnocchi Hotel so far. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Prices can be up to US$500 for 2 rooms since they seem higher there.

How many days should we spend on the Riveria to explore the towns? Should we move around hotels or do day trips?

Thanks for your reply.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 12:13 AM

We stayed in the annex at the Hotel Belletini last September. Great location near the Duomo, very nice room. You could get two doubles for 160 euros each, and their website says they also have a quad for 200 euros, in the main building. I was especially pleased with the coffee/tea setup in our room in the annex, something we found no place else.

http://www.hotelbellettini.com

The staff at Belletini booked a half day tour for us, which we enjoyed. It took us to Fiesole, high on a hill above Florence, a stop at Santa Croce church (fabulous), and ended at the Academia, where we saw the David.

In Rome, we stayed at Hotel Italia, in a perfectly satisfactory room, at 110 euros a night. It's 180 euros for a four-bedded room. The hotel is a few blocks from the train station, an easy walk to the coloseum, and our room was quiet. For the price, I thought it was a steal.

http://www.hotelitaliaroma.com/

Can't help with the other places.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 10:40 AM

We just returned from Italy earlier this week -- I'll post more when I am fully caught up on sleep. We stayed at Hotel Bellettini -- and not in the annex, which gets good marks on this board, but the "regular" hotel was nice, simple but fine (with great freezing AC, crucial during the heat wave). Location is truly ideal -- quiet street but just minutes from everything. We paid 120 for a double and 160 for a triple, less 5% for flashing Rick Steves' book. Careful with the stroller, I'm not sure if there is a smoothly paved surface in all of Florence. Not sure the 1/2 day tour mentioned by Mary Fran is worth it -- Fiesole was an easy bus ride, and Santa Croce and Accademia are only about 20 and 10 minute walks respectively from the hotel. We did take two all day tours from Florence -- one to Pisa and Lucca, the other to San G. and Siena. Those were well worth it -- driver could park or wait with car in those tough to park in towns while we explored. When I post a review I'll include that info.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:50 PM

I stayed at the Plaza Lucchesi in May and it was wonderful. It is not as central as the Lungarno suites, but is very well located and quite elegant. Although not cheap, I believe it is substantially cheaper than the Lungarno group.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:39 PM

You can stay in Santa Margherita Ligure on the Riviera. It is a 20 minute boat ride to Portofino and an hour to the Cinque Terre. It is also a 20 minute bus ride to Rapallo. We stayed at the Lido Palace Hotel in Santa Margherita Ligure. It is right on the main strip with a balcony overlooking the beach. The rooms were around 200 Euro a night but were junior suites (A living area with a pullout couch and a separate room with a king size bed). You may also get a B&B deal for that price. Definately worth it. Centrally located and only a 30 minute train ride from Genova.