Search

Need advice on Ferry from Pozzallo to Valletta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2023, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on Ferry from Pozzallo to Valletta

Hi fellow Fodorites,

My wife and I have planned a trip to Sicily and Malta in October this year prior to joining a Mediterranean Cruise.
I have made all of the accommodation bookings, including Noto because I had wrongly assumed that ferry crossings to Valletta from Pozzallo would run regularly each day.
After some recent investigation it looks like some days the crossing is only once a day - and that is at around 22:00, arriving in Valletta sometime after midnight. This is an unacceptable time for us for many reasons.

I was hoping to find out with reasonable certainty that there would be a morning ferry on Monday, October 16 so that we don't need to change our plans. I even phoned Italy and spoke with someone from Virtu Ferries and in my rudimentary Italian was able to explain my dilemma. Unfortunately, her response was that she could not help me yet because the Winter timetables were not out yet (which I knew and hence the phone call) and that I would need to call back at the end of August. Arrgh!

Anyway, I was hoping that someone more familiar with the ferry situation would know from past years whether it was likely there would only be one crossing on a Monday in October or not.

Our alternative would be to cancel our accommodation in Noto, change it to Siracusa (or similar) so we could catch a train to Catania and then an Air Malta flight to Valletta instead. Again, there are only two flights that day and so we would need to act quickly to have those bookings in place if need be.

Any help would be gratefully received!
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 12:28 PM

There are direct buses from Noto to Catania airport (bypassing Siracusa).
Old Feb 16th, 2023, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two things that may or may not help - see if anyone on the Trip Advisor Forum for Malta or Sicily can help. Worth a search on that forum or post a question. The other idea is to ask someone on Malta (hotel, visitor centre?). We generally found the Maltese very friendly, particularly if they know you're Australian, as there are so many Maltese, or of Maltese heritage, living in Australia. We often heard, do you know my brother? Which we found hilarious as Melbourne's population, where we lived at the time, was about 5 million. We found Mayjo Car Rental once we'd arrived in Malta and they were so helpful, maybe worth an email to ask about the ferry.

Old Feb 16th, 2023, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kay, that's sound advice. And, yes that's why I made direct contact with the actual Ferry company reception, figuring that their multiple winter experience would be a good resource. But, alas, no.
I have already emailed the hotel we are staying at in Sliema over another matter and they were very helpful, so I will email them again regarding the ferry situation.
BTW, we have taken your advice given in a previous post of mine and are now staying in Malta for 5 nights. It sounds like a lovely place for a holiday.