Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advice on exploring 16th arr. in PARIS!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fellow Travellers!

My husband and I love Belle Epoque, Art Deco and all sorts of modern architecture. Can anyone recommend their favorite walks and/or buildings to explore in the 16th arrondissement of Paris?

Also, is it true that the 14th is really worth a look as well?

Thanks a million,
Betty
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:14 AM
dln

Betty, have I got an article for you! Go to www.paris-eiffel-tower-news.com and click on "The Fabulous Genius of Hector Guimard." It's a wonderful walking tour of the southern part of the 16th arrondissement, featuring the Art Nouveau architecture of Guimard (he of the fabulous Port Dauphine Metro stop).

I don't think I'd especially go out of my way to explore the 14th. I'd save the time and use it towards discovering the beautiful 16th instead.

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM

Betty,
The DK Guide outlines a 90 minute walk in Auteuil that I've done and it really is interesting. If you do this on a Wednesday or Saturday, you can include a visit to the Auteuil market. Further north in the 16th, near Place Victor Hugo you will find many lovely hotels, restaurants and shops. I stayed here on my last trip and really liked the neighborhood. Have a great trip!

Peg
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:08 AM

There isn't very much Art Deco architecture in Paris (the famous Cinema Rex in the 9th arrondisement is one rare example), but there is plenty of Art Nouveau and the 16th is one of the best areas for it. It is where Guimard lived and there are some of his best buildings there (eg, Castel Beranger). There used to be a very good online walking tour of this area online with specific addresses noted and bulding notes. Perhaps one of the above suggestions is just right for that. There is a small booklet or packet of architectural walking tours within Paris sold in the Musee d'Orsay bookstore which includes an Art Nouveau tour, though. That packet also includes an Art Deco tour and it's also mainly in the 16th but there isn't as much there as Art Nouveau--a little Mallet-Stevens or Corbusier, etc.. There is a good example of a building at the rond-point du pont Mirabeau and I suppose the Palais Tokyo and Trocadero could be put in that bucket.

Roughly, a good Art Nouveau area is around metro Jasmin. Some good buildings are on ave Mozart (I think that's one of Guimard's apartment buildings at 122, there are several). I'd probably recommend getting off at metro Chardon Lagache, walking west on rue Molitor and then north on rue Boileau and finding ave Mozart and continuing north on it, finally turning east at metro Jasmin to get over to rue La Fontaine which has some excellent examples on it such as Guimard's Castel Beranger at no. 14.

I wouldn't put the 14th in this category of interest. There are some interesting buildings related to artists studios and some other things, but you have to really know where you are going and have a plan.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:46 PM

I found a couple of websites

http://www.kubos.org/AN/en/villes/paris.htm

this one has a walking route:
http://www.paris.org/Kiosque/apr01/art.nouveau.html

guided tour
http://www.frenchlinks.com/pariswalkingtours.html
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have a book Paris 1900, out of print but you may find it on Amazon.E Borsi and E Godoli, published by Rizzoli. Like you, I love the Belle Epoque and (art Deco less) This book will take you to all the metro stops, buildings, furniture. When my friend David, Indytravel goes to Nancy in afew months, I have directed him to the Excelcior. The furniture is by Magorelle,, glass windows by Gruber, Prouvé did the art deco staircase
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help! In addition to Guimard, I was hoping to catch some work by Le Corbusier, though I think he has only a few buildings in Paris that are open to the public.

Happy Travelling!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

DLN: Great web page on Guimard and Art Nouveau!
The buildings really remind me of Gaudi and Barcelona...wondering if there was any cross-influence.

I am planning to do an architectual walking tour of the 16th, etc. with American artist Michael Osman (if he ever e-mails me back!). Maybe we'll include a tour of the Marais, another really interesting neighborhood.

That's so funny that Guimard ended up in NYC, where I curently live. I wonder where he lived in NYC and if he designed any of the Art Nouveau-looking places here.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:45 AM

The walking tour of Auteuil includes the Villa Montmorency, now a gated community of homes. My parents lived there in the 20's and where the German high command lived during the occupation. And don't forget to go the Orsay and see their Art Nouveau furniture/decorative arts collection.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:55 AM
dln

Betty, there's lots of good shopping to be found in the 16th, too. Check out Suzy Gershman's book for her lists.

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

dln: You are such a bad influence on me, encouraging me to shop everywhere I go (hee, hee)!

Warm wishes.