Need advice from a Scandinavian

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on picking up a Volvo on or about 15 Feb 2011. I will be spending 3 nights in Gothenburg and then 3 nights in Stockholm. I will not be driving, transportation will be provided by Volvo overseas delivery. I was plan on going to Copenhagen for three days, but have been there before and would like to see something new. I am considering taking a ship to Helsinki and spending a night or two there, then traveling to Tallinn for a day, then catching a ship back to Stockholm. My wife and I are fairly used to travel in the cold, but I am a little concerned the weather may be too miserable to enjoy Helsinki and Tallinn. While in Helsinki, I would like to visit Suomenlinna and will be walking around to the sights; Temppeliaukio Church, Lutheran Cathedral, ect. Same thing in Tallinn, walking around to see the sights. Does anyone think the weather will be too cold to enjoy the sights? Will parts of the Baltic be frozen? Any chance Stockholm-Helsinki-Tallin ships/ferries will be canceled because the weather is too bad? Should I be prepared to walk in snow and ice? I know what the travel books say, but would like to hear from someone who has experienced February in Scandinavia.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 10:59 PM

Don't let winter scare you away! There is a saying in Swedish, Det finns ingen dålig väder bara dålig kläder.... translated to say, There isn't bad weather, only bad clothes. It means you will need to dress for the weather and depending on what climate you are traveling from can be more or less a shock. Dress in layers and sensible with thin long johns, warm boots good for walking, coat that covers your behind and hat, gloves and a scarf. If it is icy, then you can purchase those crampon things for boots. Many older people wear them here for extra stability anyway. It will probably be cold, yes, but the great thing about Scandinavia is that they have a wonderful coffee culture so think about all the cozy cafes you can sneak into! There will be less sunlight that time of year so everything will be illuminated by candle or dim light. Lovely- enjoy your tour!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply and encouragement. I am really looking forward to seeing this part of the world. Good advice on the crampons, I'll make sure I get a set.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 03:10 AM

"Will parts of the Baltic be frozen?"

Yes, it already is. And there is almost a meter of snow. Last winter you almost could have walked from Helsinki to Tallinn. And you could drive even to some remotest islands.

"Any chance Stockholm-Helsinki-Tallin ships/ferries will be canceled because the weather is too bad? "

We have ice breakers.

"Should I be prepared to walk in snow and ice?"

Yes, unless you know how to levitate.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do know how to levitate, but don't like to make a big deal about it because it makes others feel inferior.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 11:33 AM

It is currently 3F in Tampere. Winter has come early with low temperatures and several inches of snow. Everyone here is talking about the 50cm of snow in Helsinki, Elina.

I think I am doing pretty well as a Southerner dropped down here in the winter. I have been walking each day, but no more than 30-60 minutes at a time before stopping in a shop, restaurant or museum.

I am a female and started off wearing allweather lined boots, silk long underwear, slacks, shirt, sweater, long wool coat, driving gloves, and knit hat. Second day I added a scarf to cover my face against the wind, replaced the driving gloves with my ski gloves, and replaced the sweater with a down ski coat liner. Everything was toasty except my toes which eventually still got cold. Dashing between hotel and car etc. has been fine even without bundling up.

The roads and sidewalks here are very icy--big patches of solid ice several inches thick in places that cause everyone to slip--saw a baby carriage almost take flight today. I keep to the snow when possible.

So, locals and tourists are out, but properly clothed and not dawdling. I think walking around the tourist sites in Helsinki and Tallin would be OK with properly timed stops for reheating. I'm not sure how pleasant Suomenlinna would be. You would stay indoor on the boat crossings and the daylight will be limited that time of year.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kay, great advice. My biggest fear was cold feet so will invest on some ski socks and a pair of good walking boots. I showed my wife a video of a ferry crossing the ice on the Baltic and she was less than encouraged.