Need advice

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 08:33 AM
CJ

Need advice

We will be leaving the states (New York) to attend a wedding in Ireland (10-17-01) and then on 10-20-01 we will be flying to Milan and renting a car-home base Tuscany. Tourin Italy and then back to New York. Very confused if we should leave states at all. We spoke to a US Marshall and his advice (before the retaliation) don't go, but if you do plan on it taking a month to get back into the US. I realize this is a dumb question, but there will be no refunds from the travel agent. WOULD YOU TAKE THE RISK?
THANX, CJ

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 08:43 AM
D.J.

Why did the U.S. marshall say it would take a month to get back in the U.S.?Thats news, and this you say was before the attacks.I was watching the news last night and the FAA reported no change in the available services all day yesterday,in general everything went on as scheduled.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 08:50 AM
AG

CJ,
What exactly are you scared of?
Would you like to live the rest of your life behind closed doors and windows?
I just returned from a lovely trip to Tuscany and had a great time. I can understand why people would avoid going to war zones, hostile countries etc. But Ireland and Italy? honestly, go, enjoy yourself. Life must go on!
AG

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Jane

I would definitely if it's nonrefundable. I wouldn't take the advice of a US Marshal on this issue, though, why would he know anything about it? Marshals transport prisoners around and guard US court systems, they don't have any specific knowledge of the situation in European countries or outside the US, do they? I know they have some that work in airports and the special program for air marshals, but I still don't see why they would necessarily know anything more than anyone else about the situation within Europe or flying back, and especially not a regular marshal.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 02:14 PM
BB

My sister-in-law and I were to leave this Thur, Oct 11th, for 2 weeks in Italy. We are now not going. Our plans were to stay with friends stationed in Naples. They have advised us not to come. Even before we started attacking, they thought our biggest treat would be the possibility of getting detained in our return trip home. We had been told if we don't go, the airfare was gone. Call the airline, they are making exceptions. We hope to make our trip later.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 10:51 AM
CJ

I realize this is question that only my husband and I can really answer. I have used this forum for the past four years to plan all my trips. I have found it to be so helpful. I guess grasping at staws it what I am doing. I am scared to death of this war want to go to this wedding in Ireland and would love to go to Italy. Travel agents are not giving refunds and airlines are not sympethic towards anyones feelings and then a comment from a Marshall. Now today Amthrax-ouch-what next.
If anyone living in Italy can tell me about the their feelings about the was and the security there I may feel little better about going. Did I tell you we were flying into Milan - Does that tell you another reason why I'm scared too. The arrow's are going in the wrong direction

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Jeannette

I just returned last night from an 18 day vacation in France. There were no problems at all and no flights were cancelled because of the bombing. Personally, I wouldn't be skittish about going at all. However, it's also my experience that skittish people will tend to fret no matter what anyone tells them or what their experience is. So, if you're anxious, perhaps you shouldn't go as the worrying will ruin your vacation.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:16 AM
mike

The only danger in the Tuscana countryside will be eating too much and maybe being bored if you are used to the fast paced city life. Not a chance I would pass it up, but Jeanette is correct; it comes down to how you feel you need to feel. I'm heading to London. Mike.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 12:10 PM
CJ

So far all the responses have been positive. This is good. I'm feeling a little better. Believe me, I am not a worry wart, the only thing that bothered me with a posting is eating my way through Tuscany. I hope the seat next to me is empty on the way (that is IF - I get home acording to the US Marshall.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 12:28 PM
beatrice

I'm in the same predicament. Planned for an Italian vacation leaving the US on Oct 18th. With advisories from the state department about limiting mobility abroad and staying in touch with the local US consulate, should I really go? Advice? Help me ease my mind?

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 01:06 PM
xxx

CJ: I live in Italy and I feel safer here than I would in the US at the moment.
Also, my husband flies out of both of Milans airports and you have nothing to worry about.
You will most undoubtibly fly into Malpensa and not Linate.
However, even if Linate, the accident that happened, could have happened at any airport in the world.
It was a pure accident just like when we have a car accident at an intersection and you didn't see the red light, or stop sign, etc.
This accident could have happened to any pilot.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 07:38 PM
al

I read that the reason the pilot was on the wrong runway was that the ground radar at Linate was not working and had not been working correctly for days - this I do not think would happen to any pilot at any airport..

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Vanessa

My advice is to go. I just got back from a week in the UK (London and Edinburgh) and had a great, worry-free time. I had absolutely no problems with the airlines or airports. I'm sure you'll find the same thing with Italy. I also had some of my family members urging me not to take this trip, especially as I was going alone. But as a person who absolutely loves travelling to Europe, nothing was going to stop me from going. So, as I told them, if my return trip is delayed (even a few days), I don't think I would be terribly heartbroken about having to stay longer in Europe! Just go, you'll be glad you did.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 06:37 AM
cj

Thanks everyone, I'm still pondering. I'm just waiting to see if the jerk(Bin Baden may drop the other shoe.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Jan

Hi, I just got married Saturday the 6th and my husband I have a honeymoon scheduled to Europe, (specifically, England, Paris, and Italy) aboard a Globus tourbus, leaving the 13th of October. I have been to Europe many times and love the aforementioned areas, however I am very concerned about riding around Europe in a Globus Tour Bus full of Americans. Has anyone taken a tour since the US bombings began on October 7, 2001? Perhaps I am being too concerned, but with the anti American sentiment in Italy, I am worried. Any words of advise? Thanks....

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Danusia

Is there an anti-American sentiment in Italy? That causes me concern. I am in the process of deciding whether to go on my Nov Italy trip or not.

The decision is made a bit more difficult due to the State Department warning from 10/02 that says:
"As stated in the Department of State's Worldwide Caution dated September 28, 2001, U.S. citizens and interests abroad continue to be at increased risk of terrorist actions from extremist groups. The Department has received information that "symbols of American capitalism" in Italy may be targeted for attack in the next month. We will provide updated information should it become available."

Not to mention the general worldwide warning that went out the day of the attacks on Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

Any local Italians that can shed light on this?

-Danusia

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 02:14 PM
xxx

Al: Get the entire story before you post.
Not every airport has ground radar.
Though Linate had one,it was broke for more than days.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 05:47 PM
al

triple x-does that mean that Linate is safe because other airports do not have ground radar? why do I never hear about their horrific accidents when everyone on board is burned to death? Maybe my facts weren't quite perfectly straightenough for your satisfaction (I was unaware that this was a test) but does that mean that it is safe to fly into Milan? And to compare an auto accident to a plane full of people is trivializing something terrible that happened..and still does not answer the question-is it safe to fly into airports that have problems with foggy conditions and no radar? This isn't about how well the question is anwered, it is supposed to be what people think-

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 07:20 PM
givemeabreak

xxx says that "other airports have no ground radar and that Linate's was "broke" for more than days"-isn't that what Al said? in so many words? that without the radar in the fog the planes were put on the wrong runways with terrible results.what is your point xxx? besides we should all get our facts as straight as you do? puhleeeze....

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 11:33 AM
cj

thanks for the posts, but we canceled, not because we were scared,but our children and grand children pleaded with us not to leave the country. The little kids are so scared that they have nightmeres every night and knowing that Nonna and Grandpa are going away when there are bad people out there that may hurt either them or us - my heart hurts - they made the decision for us. I guess everyone has to handle the crisis in their own way. Hell yes, I am disappointed and was convinced that flying was safe, but - those three sets of little brown eye crying hurt my heart.