Need acvice -2-wks. in Scandinavia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrive Copenhagen with visits to Stockholm, Helsinki, Oslo, Bergen, using railpass & other public transportation. Need suggestions for most scenic route from Copenhagen to Stockholm. Have read about 5-hr. hi-speed train as well as overnight train. Any suggestions /pros & cons? Also need help with Stockholm to Oslo connection. Any suggestions for breaking up this 6-hr. train ride?
We are a group of 4 who prefer out-of -the- way, scenic routes, rather than spending time in large cities. Shopping not important. Any other suggestions you can offer on the trip from Oslo to Bergen would be appreciated. We've been reading about the Setesdal Valley - any help there?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:11 AM

For scenic from Copenhagen to Stockholm I'd recommend a cruise. Sailing through the archipelago into or out of downtown Sweden is nothing short of gorgeous. I took a Silja Cruise from Stockholm to Turku. I don't know if they sail to Copenhagen or not.

When I went from Oslo to Stockholm in 2002, I broke the trip in Örebro. Stayed at a (I believe) Best Western property that was across the street from Sweden's "most photogenic castle." It was a very nice 3* hotel and less expensive than the cheap 1* hotel where I stayed in Oslo.

There's a pioneer village in the town. It was interesting to walk through the old buildings like a blacksmith and one room schoolhouse. A couple of nice, old Lutheran churches, a pontoon boat ride up the river and restaurants along the riverfront made it a very pleasant stay for a couple of nights. Also went to the top of the water tower for the view. It was the original one built of the style that flairs out at the top.

My other bit of advice? Take buckets of money. I thought Sweden and Norway were very expensive in 2002 when the dollar was strong.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:10 AM

While we have traveled Scandinavia extensively, we did it all by car and ferries. So, we won't be much help to you. However, if you really prefer out- of-the-way, scenic routes, investigate how you might get to Kalmar Castle in Southern Sweden and from there (by fast ferry, one and one-half hours) to the walled, medieval village of Visby on Gotland Island. Just spectacular! You can fast ferry from Visby to Stockholm in (two and one-half hours) when you are ready to go.
If there has to be choice between Visby or Helsinki, Visby would be my choice without question. Good luck.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM

I took the 5-hr train ride from Copenhagen to Stockholm last summer - nothing too exciting to see so going on an overnight instead of during the day would probably be OK, too. From Stockholm to Oslo I flew Ryan Air - super cheap Irish airline. I think the flight cost about $5 plus taxes of about $15. They go to towns outside of Oslo and Stockholm but have easy bus transfers. I do agree about the ferries, too. Took Silja from Stockholm to Helsinki and back - fantastic experience.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM

You do know that if you do not want to stay in large cities, you are safe in Scandinavia...there are no large cities there
But you said you needed suggestions on the Bergen - Oslo route, did you mean apart from the Norway in a nutshell route ?

Cobos