Need a car for Lake Como??

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Bebe

Need a car for Lake Como??

Planning a trip to Italy and wondering how useful or necessary a car is for the Lake Como area? We will fly into Milan and then head immediately to Como. I understand that there is a bus directly from Malpensa to Como and then ferries that could take us around the lake area. Would a car be more useful/convenient? We plan to go to Cinque Tierra area after the lake so would have to return to Malpensa to rent a car if we took the bus. Also appreciate any advice on the best areas to stay at Lake Como.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Howard

You don't need a car in the Lake Como area. We drove there from Malpensa, but never used the car in the three days we were there. But, it seems silly to go all the way back to Malpensa to rent a car. Are there any car rental places in the city of Como?

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:42 AM
steve

Bebe, how did you know that we just got back from a trip to Italy which included both CT and Lake Como????

As for Lake Como, yes, there is transportation to Como from Malpensa. Actually Malpensa is about as far from Como as it is from Milan. I believe there is even transportation as far as Bellagio. We had a car, and stayed in Bellagio for 2 nights. We put the car in the garage and didn't touch it - just sailed around on the lake between Bellagio, Verenna, and Mennagia. We loved every minute. We also visited Como and Cernobbia on the to Bellagio. As for where to stay, Bellagio is one of the most beautiful places in Europe and there are many nice hotels. On the other side of the lake is Verenna,(10 minute boat ride) which is smaller and cheaper than Bellagio, and you can even get a train into Milan.

As for Cinque Terre, I have lots of information, but I have to tell you that although my wife and I love Italy, we were disappointed by CT. I wonder if anyone else was disappointed as we were.

In any case, feel free to email nme directly if you want more specific information.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:48 AM
steve

Bebe, Howard,

Regarding the car, there are definitely rental car places in Como. But in any case, no matter where you are in this area, you are only a short train ride away from Milan or Malpensa.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 02:24 PM
GAC

I spent three days in the mid-lake area of Lake Como (Bellagio-Menaggio-Varenna) and did not need a car. There is frequent, reliable and inexpensive public transportation all over the lake, as well as the excellent bus service (six per day Monday thru Saturday, twice on Sunday) from Como city to Malpensa airport. You might find a car useful if you spent a longer time on the lake, though again the local buses and ferries can take you just about anywhere worth seeing. The time lost waiting for public transportation would cancel out the time spent (and aggravation of) finding a suitable parking space or garage.