Cavalieri Hilton Rome

Oct 4th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Eric

Cavalieri Hilton Rome

Has anyone stayed at the Cavalieri Hilton in Rome? If so, what was your experience like? Is it really a 5 star property ? I know it is not in the center of Rome, but I think they have a shuttle bus.

Oct 4th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Lucy

Good hotel. Remote location. A shuttle bus doesn't put you into the heart of the life of the city. If you've got Hilton points to burn or found a killer deal, go for it. Otherwise, there are many better choices.

Oct 4th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Duncan

Eric.

I have stayed there many times and it is excellent particularly if you like to swim/workout - the facilities are excellent - not many like that in Rome.

Oct 6th, 2001, 02:55 AM
Janis

Do guests have to pay to use the workout facilities or pool?

How is the buffet breakfast ?
Where exactly does their shuttle bus drop you off?

I will be there in 2 weeks.

Thanks

Oct 6th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Doug

I'm not one who thinks Americans should stop traveling abroad completely, but I think you should read http://travel.state.gov/italy_announce.html before you stay at the Cavalieri Hilton. On Oct 2 the State Department issued a travel warning that says "symbols of American capitalism" in Italy may be targeted for terrorist attack in the next month. I think a large Hilton would qualify as a "symbol of American capitalism" ... just one more thing to consider.

Oct 9th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Casey

I agree with the post about the US travel warning. Furthermore, unless you are staying for free on points and have no alternative I would NOT stay there. The shuttle takes a half hour and is not in the most convenient location. We ended up taking cabs. It is not walking distance to the Vatican since the property is on top of a mountain. In fact it is not walking distance to ANYTHING. It is like staying in the NJ suburbs when visiting NYC. As far as the hotel itself, the pictures look much better than the hotel. It is dated and dingy. You have to pay for health club since it is not owned & operated by Hilton. Buffet breakfast was a C- although this restaurant was excellent for all other meals. La Pergola restaurant and room service meals were also excellent. Keep in mind that when you consider *** ratings in Italy it refers to a very strict uniform code of communicating the facilities at a given hotel such as elevator, pool, restaurant, etc. It has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the property. I have stayed at 5* properties that I regretted and 3* that I loved. Don't mean to sound negative but I wish I had known all this before I stayed there.