Search

Nebulizer Usage & European Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 04:08 PM
DAJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nebulizer Usage & European Trip

Planning on taking Mom (72)to Italy next year, however, her greatest fear of traveling revolves around health issues.

She has battled with cancer and daily battles with constructive lung disease. This requires her to depend upon a nebulizer for several sessions a day. Her fears are: can I take my treatments on a plane (i.e. do they have the electrical power & the privacy); will my nebulizer convert in Italy without "frying" as some hairdryers have been known to do.

I would like to address each of these issues and provide her a plan for each to arrest her fears.

Are there any experienced folks with similar dependence on the nebulizer?

Thank you for all you help.

DAJ
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:21 PM

I would recommend contacting the airlines in question as a first tep. they each have very specific - and often different - rules about use of electronic appliances in flight - as well as if they will carry a passenger with compromised health and under what circumstances. Has your mom's docor ok'd a flight that long for her?

(I was once on a plane that had to land early due to a passenger that had lung problems in the air. He had been told not to fly so soon after surgery and had done so anyway and the difference in air pressure apparently caused a problem. Did not get all the details since I was one row back - but the doctor on board - thank god - was able to bring him around. So there is some reason behind their rules.
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Your question is timely for us. I am taking a 9 yr old moderately asthmatic to Austria & London in 2 days. I emailed Pari (manufacturer of our Neb)a couple of weeks ago to ask about convertors for our neb & was told none would work. We ended up getting a Pari Trek nebulizer (not sure if we are renting or buying, but will deal with that later). We also got the rechargeable battery so we can use it without electrical power. We'll see how it works for us (or hopefully we won't need it). I would check with the manufacturer of her neb & look into the Pari Trek. There are other portable ones, but I don't really know anything about them. National Allergy Supply has a good selection. I would talk to her doctor also.
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:38 PM
DAJ
Original Poster

NYTraveler & BetsyG:

Thanks for the advice. I will have her verify with her doctors regarding the flight time and air situation. I also thought about contacting the airline, once we have dates narrowed down.

2 nights ago I found the Pari Trek Portable Nebulizer product from an old post, as I had done a search on nebulizers first. This was found as www.allergysupply.com for $289. I did not realize there are multiple models. Thank you for alerting me to this. What appealed to me was the power versatility (100 to 240V), as well as the battery option. I also appreciate the heads up that you have been informed that no converter will work in adapting your current mode.

I will verify my mom's current model just for her knowledge, but I do think a new nebulizer will be the route to go. She did indicate the battery power source on her current model is not effective, as it overheats when used.

Thank you again.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:23 AM

Her insurance co. may cover it if the MD writes on the script "for use when traveling."
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:22 PM

If you have any questions about the Pari Trek, I have found their customer service rep very helpful. I emailed them & got her phone number.
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:38 PM

My daughter has asthma. We have used an Omron model with great success. It's small, light & fast, and comes with an adapter that works on 110-240 volts...so you can use it with no problem in Europe.

Here is a link to the model we have:
http://www.omronhealthcare.com/enTou...parntCatgId=38
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:07 AM
DAJ
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! It is for wonderful help such as this that this message board is so great.

To encourage others, help relieve fears and share experiences in a positive manner. Thank you all again.

Diane AJ
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:19 PM
SW

I would recommend the Omron microair nebulizer.It's small, portable and can run off AA batteries.It's small enough to fit into a toiltery case and quiet enough to use in a church, as my child has done.You can do a google search and find many dealers selling it including allergysupply.com.If you do buy it make sure you buy extra mesh caps as this part is critical to the operation of the nebulizer.
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:49 AM

Definitely talk to your doctor. In place of a nebulizer, my kids, both asthmatic, use a mask that fits over their face (a new thing from what I understand); no electricity or batteries required. I may be way off base in thinking this is something that would be appropriate for your mother's specific health issues, but it's worth asking about. It's small, portable, and I've used it on the plane many times with no hassle. If nothing else, it could be good as an emergency back-up or for when you're not near an outlet. Good luck and happy travels.
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:01 PM

..re nebulizers..most are unnecessary..an MDI (puffer) with a mask for kids or aerochamber (or other "spacer&quot for adults is just as effective as a nebulisor if an equivalent dose of medication is used.These must be used properly as technique is important; however, your md, resp therapist or ashma educator should be able to give instructions and coach. I would check with your mothers md prior to departure to make sure she is safe to go ..do so about 4 weeks prior to departure; if she should need supplemental O2 in flight there will be enough time to arrange..good luck.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
toppin for thos concerned
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt