Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naxos hotel: Antony Studio or Glaros, Help Please!

Apr 19th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi my husband and I will be traveling to Naxos on May 27 to the 31st and I have read reviews on tripadvisor for Antony Studios but they are old. As for Glaros, I read some good reviews but Antony is much cheaper so has anyone stayed at Antony or Glaros?

Are they in the same location? Any opinions and advice on either hotel woould be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of a better hotel that is reasonably priced, under 60 euro please?

We like to be near a nice beach but also close to town, restaurants, shops, close to bus station to other beaches, etc. Thanks!

Apr 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM

ttt
Apr 20th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Try Hotel Galini/Sophia L if you can get in; it's under 50E in May. Here's in fact a whole listing of hotels along the Ag. Giorgios beach ... click on the RH corner picture that says St George beaches -- each will show picture of hotel, some interiors, often a map showing exact location & contact information
http://www.naxos-island-greece.com/n...os-hotels.html

But don't delay May 26-27-28 is the "getaway" 3-day weekend in greece, and Naxos often has whole groups booked in.

If you don't want to stay on the beach, and want a view of the sea also from on high, try Hotel Panorama or Hotel ANixis also budget choices.
Apr 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. I sent emails to Galini/Sofia and I am waiting a response. I looked at the map of naxos Town and most of the hotels, Glaros, Galini seem to be close to each other. I read Stanbr remarks about the Glaros and the sea view and I saw his pictures and they were great.

Does anyone know what the difference between any of these hotels is, please let me know: Glaros, Antony (is is the same as Antonio studios?, and Galini?

Also I will be booking this weekend and thanks Travelerjan for the tidbit on that weekend!
Apr 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM

I didn't reply sooner because I had to look up Antony Studios before I responded.
I suspect it is a a block or two from the beach in a residential/studio apartment area near St George Beach.
If the price is right and you don't care for a sea view then it is probably an OK place.
You are correct Galini and Glaros are literaly 20 steps apart, however Glaros has full frontal ocean view from all the rooms while Galini has a few rooms with a much further ocean view.

My wife and I met TravellerJan at Galini last year and it is a nice hotel with a pretty good breakfast buffet.

I would stay at Galini before I tried Antony.
My first choice is always going to be Glaros, because of the view and friendly staff. We have stayed there 5 times over the years.
Glaros was written up in the Michelin guide book a few years ago and for that reason they don't have a lot of vacancies and I understand their prices are now pushing 50 euros. If you can get Glaros I'd say go for it.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stanbr. I wanted to stay at the Glaros after reading your review, but they are fully booked. I just received an email from Galini/Sofia and they said they have availability but they did not give me a rate yet.

I believe the Galini and Sofia are right next to each other correct?

Also, Stanbr should I rent a car now or wait until I get to Naxos? Do you recommend any one car rental? Thanks again.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM

Galini and Sophia are right next to each other and are operated as one. When you get there ask for one of the ocean view rooms.I think there are a couple on the top floor.

Don't bother renting a car now. Wait till you get there. There are lots of rental agencies around, you will pass them on your way to the town waterfront. It is early season so there will be lots of cars available and they will be at lower than posted rates. We always stop by an agency the day before we want the car and make arrangement then.
You will have to know how to drive a standard, although last year there were tow Hundai Accents on the Island that were automatic. We did manage to find one of them but I can't remember the name of the agency. The hotel probably knows.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. I am booking my 4 nights stay at the hotel Galini. They told me the first night I would not get a sea view and then the next 3 would be sea view. Looking forward to Naxos!