Navigation System for Scotland

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation System for Scotland

Has anybody ever rented a car in Edinburgh that came with a navigation system? Last summer we were in Germany and got upgraded throgh Europcar and by accident got a GPS system. It was fantastic. We put the maps away. It would be gerat for Scotland. Any ideas of rental agencies that might have these? Thanks -
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 03:17 AM

I hate being beaten on Scottish questions.

I found one

http://www.compass-selfdrive.co.uk/range.htm

I then looked up the Avis site (just be cause I use them a lot) and discovered that you can spec it.

It's generally referred to as Satellite Navigation here.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Congrats on being the first responder! Unfortunately the place you found doesn't have any cars in Edinburgh! I went to the Avis site and I think I am a pretty saavy computer person - but I can't find anyplace how you spec things that you want. Can you help me? Thanks - Patti
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:45 AM

This is on avis.co.uk.

Towards the bottom of the page on the left there's a section headed Sat Nav Rentals.

That's where I looked.

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:06 AM

I see they get $105 per week to rent one. If you have a laptop, it might make more sense to buy your own. Microsoft sells a program called Streets & Trips which includes a GPS and North American maps. Fry's has it this weekend for $79.

Then get Michelin's Maps & Route Planning which maps all of Europe for 89€ and you're set forever.

If you only need city maps, Microsoft gives them away.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - On Avis UK I was easily able to see the Satellite Nav. system. I didn't know that you could rent them and just plug them into your car! What a great idea. I had toyed with the idea of buying one and I may continue to look at that option. I am having a hard time finding the Michelin Maps and Route Planning. I am in the US. Plugged it into Amazon and nothing came up for it. I did find the Microsoft streets and trips. Still looking - - thanks for the good info. This site has really helped me plan my trip! Patti
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:45 AM

It says it's for PDAs, but it runs on PCs, too.

http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/cs...dex.asp?id=119

You can download a demo here:

http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/pr...emo_PPC_EN.zip
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM

By the way, Michelin Red Guides (hotels & restaurants) are fully integrated with the navigation software.

http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/sh...?catalogid=146
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again - I have had more look searching for satellit nav. systems rather than GPS. A couple of different car rental companies rent them fairly reasonably. I am just bugged about the insurance stuff. I looked at past threads and think that just refusing all insurance and letting my Capital One Card take care of things will be the best bet in the long run. Patti
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Patti -

Glad you found the information you were looking for on the GPS/Navigation systems. They are very nice to have. We will have our handheld GPS system with us on our trip to Scotland this spring with local street maps loaded. I don’t know how we ever lived without these things.

You mentioned being bugged about car insurance for your rental. Having recently gone through the research myself for our trip - I thought I'd pass along what I found. After a quick call to our local agent – I found out we are not covered under our US policy for the UK. You should call yours to confirm if you are or not. Normally, within the US, you would have your same coverage extended to car rentals. Some companies may include other countries, some may not (I know I was covered a few years ago in Aruba)

So , . . . we are renting through Enterprise out of EDI and I figured I should send them an EMAIL to make sure we would be covered and how. For liability – their rentals include third party liability (TPI) as part of the base rate. I actually think all car hires in the UK have this – but am not 100% certain.

For ‘collision’ and ‘comprehensive’, you are correct that some credit cards will cover this (but not all). So, . . . I would call your card provider and give them the specifics of your trip. I did, and also asked for a letter of coverage at the same time, which they happily EMAILed to me. The Enterprise Ts & Cs said that if the CDW was declined, proof of coverage may be required. In the EMAIL from the renting Enterprise office - they mentioned that they do ask for written proof if CDW is declined. I’ve read elsewhere that most rental companies do not ask for written proof. But, . . . whether they do or not, I felt more comfortable having the letter to take with me. It also spelled out exactly what was needed for the coverage to be in effect.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM

But don't buy a GPS for the car rental company - as long as you're spending the money, buy it for yourself.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your info on the insurance. After I read your post I got right on-line with my credit card company - Capital One. Fortunately they cover Scotland and I can refuse all of the insurance offered on the rental car. Now all I need to be able to do it drive on the opposite side of the road and things will be good. Patti
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:28 AM
hsv

My rental Ford Focus from Sixt by the Edinburgh airport (you need to give them a call through a toll-free airport phone and they will come to pick you up - very nice driver!) had one last year.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi - I decided to rent through Hertz - they are right in the Edinburgh airport terminal and their cars come with the Neverlost Nav. System. Thanks for all the good advice.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM

t