GPS travel guide

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS travel guide

Any recommendations for a "reasonably" price GPS navigator? I've looked at both Garmin and Magelian, but there are so many models I'm confused?

I am looking for one that can be used in the car as well as walking. Usable in USA and Europe. planning routes & points of interest. And portable.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM

I have got one of Garmin's oldest models the "GPS 12". It's perfect. In the car I use it with a laptop and Oziexplorer. It's got all you need and is military grade quality, meaning you can drop it, use it in havy rain, whatever, it'll still be working. Should cost below $100 now. It can be used whenever it's vital to get accurate info. Get a spare one to be absolutely safe.
And it can be used in Europe too
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM

Define "reasonably"

I use an iPAQ Pocket PC with a GPS plug-in. The whole rig (including Microsoft Streets & Trips) cost less than $400. See here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34474486

Streets & Trips and AutoRoute as well as Michelin will all work on a laptop (in the car) or a PPC (on foot).
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Would a Pocket PC with a GPS plug in be portable? Also, does it give directions, or just show you location on the map?

What model would you recommend for someone that would use it mostly for this.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:46 PM

Here's a picture of the setup I have (fits in a shirt pocket):

http://www.pharosgps.com/images/product/PF08X.jpg

The basic hardware and free maps will show your location in several hundred cities worldwide.

Michelin Maps & Route Planning or Microsoft AutoRoute will compute and display your route (and recompute it if you stray). You can download the Michelin demo here and run it on your PC:

http://www.shop.viamichelin.co.uk/prod/VMCarto_Demo_PPC_EN.zip

ViaMichelin Navigation 3 Europe gives voice directions.

Any model will do this, but some combinations are more workable than others - see the pharosgps.com site for compatibility. I liked the iPAQ 2215 because I could plug the GPS into the CompactFlash slot and simultaneously increase the memory by a gb in the Secure Digital slot. This stuff can all be had very reasonably on eBay.