Navigating Tiburtina train station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be taking the train from FCO to Tiburtina and change trains there to Arezzo. I'm familiar with Termini, but have never been to Tiburtina. Is the set up similiar? Any tips, suggestions or warnings to make the transfer as easy as possible?
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious. Why are you connecting at Tiburtina?
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM

tiburtina is a lot more relaxed than Termini - lot less tracks and you can see them all from platform one - just an underground passage to your platform. No sweat here at all.

But yes there are direct Rome Termini - Arrezzo trains but perhaps you are taking the local trains that may only serve Tiburtina and cost a lot less.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM

tiburtina is a lot more relaxed than Termini - lot less tracks and you can see them all from platform one - just an underground passage to your platform. No sweat here at all.

But yes there are direct Rome Termini - Arrezzo trains but perhaps you are taking the local trains that may only serve Tiburtina and cost a lot less.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There was a major fire at Tiburtina a week or so ago. A lot of trains were rerouted. I'm not sure everything is back to normal as the fire did a lot of damage.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Here's the thread link.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...lia-trains.cfm
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Here's the latest Trenitalia new release. It's only in Italian, but you might see your train listed. You need to ask at Termini before departure if your train is affected.

http://www.fsnews.it/cms/v/index.jsp...008916f90aRCRD
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We're not going until October, so hopefully the problems can be corrected by then.

I had heard about the fire and the fsnews link is one I'll bookmark and check periodically. The possible trains we would take are affected.

To answer the question re: Tiburtina vs. Termini - I suspected that Tiburtina was smaller and the fares are significantly less. Not much difference in time either. I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere - getting there is part of the fun. And, I prefer to keep more Euros in my pocket to spend on more food and wine than on train fare. Same as in the US. When traveling to Chicago, having the opportunity I always choose Midway over O'Hare. Midway is much smaller and easier to navigate, plus it's closer to downtown using the "L" and the fares may be a little lower.

Thanks again!