Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

National Trust rental properties in Republic of Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Mare

I thought the National Trust had properties available to rent by the week in the Republic of Ireland, but a search only brings up properties in Northern Ireland. Am I mistaken?

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:15 PM
janis

The National Trust has properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The National Trust for Scotland has rentals in Scotland. I have never run across a similar rental scheme in Ireland.

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Mare

Thanks so much for your response! I just wanted to make sure before I started looking for a privately owned cottage rental.

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:49 AM
KieranB

This is because the organisation you refer to is responsible for properties in the United Kingdom only, since the Republic of Ireland is not part of the United Kingdom the trust has no properties or remit there. You may wish to check out the equivalent organisation in the Republic of Ireland, "An Taisce" www.antaice.org but I don't believe they offer any properties.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:27 PM
tom

Kiernan -- A day late and a dollar (or £ or ?) short. That was already explained to her

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:56 AM
xxx

A bit ungracious, Tom, I think? Kieran gave the name and website of the equivalent organisation in the Republic of Ireland, so did add information. <BR><BR>Quite a lot of people do get confused about the relationships between the various countries in the archipelago off the NW coast of continental Europe (is that PC enough?) - it doesn't hurt to explain it again.

Old May 20th, 2002, 05:22 AM
tom

xxx, you are right. I appologize for my tone. I was just frustrated yesterday by a lot of really lame posts. Kiernan did add the URL so it was useful. I just wish people would read the earlier posts before posting the same information over and over again.

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:43 AM
jan

Mare,<BR><BR>I hope this will be helpful:<BR><BR>Try contacting the Irish Landmark Trust,<BR>25 Eustace Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2 <BR>Ph: 353 1 670 4733 Fax: 353 1 670 4887 <BR>e-mail: [email protected]. Their<BR>website at www.irishlandmark.com is still under construction.<BR><BR>I have no experience renting from them,<BR>but they do historic property rentals in<BR>Ireland.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:31 AM
Mare

The Landmark Trust is the organisation I was trying to think of! Thank you! I knew I saw their guide when I went to Ireland ten years ago.<BR><BR>I actually am very aware that the Republic of Ireland is not in the UK. I just thought its organisation had the same name, so that's the name I used when I did a google search.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:32 AM
Mare

Oops. Meant to type organization.