Naples to Tuscany Itin Help Needed Badly

Sep 11th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Naples to Tuscany Itin Help Needed Badly

Hi,
I am taking my 84 year old mom to Italy at her request. We are seeking a very relaxing but cultural week. I will be accompanied by my brothers wife as well (60). I was asked to make the travel arrangements and due to a busy schedule (best excuse I can come up with and remain succinct in my post) really fouled them up.

ITIN is as follows: I will mark the area's where I need help:

depart PHL to Munich (MUC) (9 hour layover)
**Problem #1 - do we have time to leave the airport for lunch?

arrive in NAP at 9:35 pm (nite after departure)

Hotel reservations are in Figline Valdarno, Florence beginning the day of arrival to Italy.
**This is problem #2. Landing at 9:30 pm and then finding our way to Florence (4 hours away) may not be palatable to my mom.

Depart NAP a week later at 11P -
**Problem #3 - what was I thinking!! I can handle this one though. Seems to me check out and a leisurely drive to NAP will work.

Oh .. also none of us speak Italian - I know how to say bathroom that's about it.

Do I rent a car when I get off the plane and stay in Naples for the nite then drive the next day to Tuscany?

OR should I strap my mom in the back seat and drive the nite I arrive to Tuscany.

Should I rent a car or should we take the train during our trip?

I was actually thinking if we could take a cab someplace nice outside of Naples and then rent a car and drive the next day that would be great but I don't know how to rent a car other than the internet or in USA and would have no clue where to stay.

Any advise will be so much appreciated, please be as detailed as possible.

I do have one more oops that I will share just for grins. We have a 12 hour layover in London on the way home. It is over night.

Thanks much !

Sep 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Good grief staylor I don't mean to sound negative but yes you really did foul up, LOL. I am sorry!

OK, here is what I would do. I would make a reservation at a good hotel in Naples. Be sure to tell them what time your plane will be arriving. Ask them to have a car and driver pick you up at the airport to take you to the hotel. Do not under any circumstance attempt to rent a car and drive to Florence the same night you arrive in Naples, please!

Although I have not been to the Munich airport with a 9 hour layover I don't know of any reason why you couldn't leave the airport and go somewhere for lunch. Actually I would see if there is a hotel at the Munich airport where you could get a room for your 84 year old mother so she could take a nap.

I would take the train to Florence the day after you arrive in Naples.

When you say your hotel reservation are in Figline Valdarno, Florence I do not know if Filgline Valdarno is the name of a hotel IN Florence or the name of a small town outside of Florence.

About that 12 hour layover in London, I will leave that for someone with experience with London but again it would see to me that your mother would need to rest at some point during that 12 hour layover.

Is there anyway your can change these flights? To me it would be worth it under the circumstances if you could, even with the fees the airline would charge.

Sep 11th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LoveItaly!
Figline is a small town outside of Florence. On the map it looks very close to Greve. (Which I have read about in other posts)

So you would take the train instead of driving. Why? Would that be easier on a little old lady - (she would kill me if she read this!)

Also ... what about touring around the country side then? I think there will be some nice stuff w/in walking distance but without a car it may be hard.
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:37 PM

Hi staylor, well actually I was thinking of you, LOL. If you feel you want to drive then please wait until the day after you arrive in Naples to get your rental car as you will be exhausted when you arrive in Naples I am sure. And of course it will be so late and dark, you wouldn't see anything anyway. A car in Tuscany is good to have. Maybe think about taking the train the day after you arrive from Naples to Florence, you can relax on the train and get over what jetlag you have and then pick up your rental car in Florence. Or take the train to Orvietto (nice town with beautiful duomo) and pick up your rental car there and then drive the balance of the way to Florence/Figline. You said you wanted a relaxing week so just trying to think of how you can accomplish this as your airflight schedule is rathing grueling IMO. And especially having your mother with you. I would imagine that she will be tired but excited of course. But I am sure you will work it out. Best wishes to you.
Sep 11th, 2005, 11:30 PM

What are your dates? Are you in Italy only one week? Why are you flying in and out of Naples, if you are going to spend the weeek in the Florence area? I would check into changing your tickets to fly in and out of Florence or Pisa, if Tuscany is where you want to be. What airline are you flying on?

If those tickets are carved in stone, then why not spend a relaxing trip to Naples and the Amalfi Coast, with alot less driving involved. You could take a day trip to Rome from Naples, and also Florence for that matter, and perhaps stay ovenight in Florence or Rome.

If that is a considerateion, I can help yo out alot, as I am leaving for the Amalfi Coast in 3 weeks!
Sep 12th, 2005, 02:18 AM

staylor,
I just got back. I had a car, and drove between the Naples area and Umbria/Tuscany.

Florence is more than 4 hours from Naples. Naples to Rome is already 3 to 3.5 hours.

I had no problem at all with driving the Autostrada, or on the Amalfi Coast for that matter, but i believe it's only because I normally drive in NYC, and am used to tailgating and fast, decisive moves in speedy traffic.

On the Autostrada I twice witnessed tourists become totally confused and stressed at the tollbooths, because the instructions are not in English. If you don't speak or read any Italian, you would be far, far better off taking the train from Naples to Florence, which is easy, then renting the car up there. Having a car is really unnecessary until you get to Tuscany. Also, gas is way, way more expensive than here.
You also might need to familiarize yourself with parking rules in the towns, like how to buy a local parking card.

Taking the train when possible WILL be easier on a "little old lady", and probably on you as well. I know it is for me,

How lucky for you that your Mom wants to go to Italy with you!

Search this Thread